The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 5, 2001, 06:02 AM   #1
yankytrash

Deermeat/Pork Fat ratio for deerburgers?

Friend of mine told me to try using pork fat in deer burgers instead of beef fat. He said try a 1:5 ratio.

WRONG. Consistency still ends up like sausage.

I tried a couple lighter ratios, but ran out of thawed-out deer meat before I could find the right mix.

Any of you use pork fat for your deer burgers? What ratio do you use?

Meanwhile, I'll be spicing up about 20lbs of deer sausage. I hope the kids are hungry this morning. Anybody want some?
Old December 5, 2001, 06:14 AM   #2
deanf

So are we talking regular sausage, like for cooking, or summer sausage? I just got 30 pounds of summer sausage myself. Mmmm . . . tasty.
Old December 5, 2001, 06:35 AM   #3
yankytrash

My culinary skills are still a bit lacking to tackle summer sausage. You got a good recipe?

Damn I'm gettin hungry...
Old December 5, 2001, 10:24 AM   #4
stephen_g22

I don't have any fat added to my ground venison. I either mix the venison with some ground beef or ground pork right before I cook with it. I usually add 1lb of ground beef to 1lb-1.5lbs of ground venison. If I am making chili or tacos I use a little olive oil with the venison with no additional fat. Good and good for you.

I made some chili on Sunday and just for the heck of it I sauteed some dove breasts that I had de-boned in some olive oil, onion and garlic and added the cooked breast pieces in the bottom of my chili bowl before I added the scoop of chili. MMMMMM good.

I would have added the dove in the chili pot directly, but my wife would not have eaten it. She doesn't like dove.

FWIW
Old December 5, 2001, 01:33 PM   #5
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

When I make deer sausage I use a 1 to 1 ratio of pork to deer(plus seasonings). We usually keep some out and make burgers with it and they are good. I never mix fat of any kind, I just use the natural fat in the pork roasts that I grind up for the 1 to 1 ratio. I also use the same mixture of 50/50 to make deer chile. The pork adds just enough moisture/oil to the dry deer meat.
Old December 5, 2001, 06:22 PM   #6
Larry Ashcraft

I agree with Southla1. We use a cut from a local market called "pork butts". Mix it 1-1 or a little less pork (we used to use 30% pork for elk). We've done several pronghorns this way and it makes excellent breakfast or Italian sausage.
Old December 5, 2001, 08:03 PM   #7
H&H,hunter

Depends on your tastes but my game meat butcher recomends between 10 & 15% for Elk or Mule Deer he uses beef fat however. I don't know that there would be a difference with pork??
Old December 5, 2001, 09:00 PM   #8
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

TrophyShop, I wonder if it's not the same thing we are both using?

Down here we use what is known as a Boston Butt pork roast. Catch the local supermarket at the right time and it sells for 87 cents a pound on sale but never more than $1.29 a pound. If it is a good season we will have the venison all ready to go but freeze it till the pork roasts go on sale.
Old December 6, 2001, 05:30 AM   #9
yankytrash

You guys might want to experiment with a cheaper option that I use - just ask the butcher at the grocery store for the next day's beef fat trimmings. My butcher gives them to me for free.

Unfortunately, the porkfat down south here sells as "fatback". Can't get it for free, but it's usually only pennies per pound (about $.25/lb, IIRC). (Makes vegetables go down easier )

H&H - thanks man. That should help me out greatly. I suspect the porkfat ratio is a little smaller.

I'll keep at it. Next 20lbs is thawing in the fridge as we speak...
Old December 6, 2001, 05:59 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Bambi Burger is great as is for Pasta sauce and burgers. Why add the fat and cholesterol we get too much of anyway?

Oh, yes, sausage here runs about 4:1 Bambi to lean ground pork. Add a little sage, black pepper, rosemary, thyme, grill and serve with applesauce. Kids think this is served in Heaven for breakfast...
Old December 6, 2001, 06:26 AM   #11
yankytrash

Quote:
Why add the fat and cholesterol we get too much of anyway?
Unlike most people, I have just the opposite problem - low bodyfat (<6%). Doc said, "...technically, you need to be eating 4000 calories per day, although it's not possible to eat that amount of food on a healthy diet....".

That, coupled with an active lifestyle, allows me to get away with murder at the dinner table.

Life is good!!
Old December 6, 2001, 12:15 PM   #12
Larry Ashcraft

Southla1, sounds like the same thing, but we do it the other way. As soon as somebody draws a pronghorn tag, we start looking for pork on sale, then freeze it. We've got one market here that always has it pretty cheap.
Old December 7, 2001, 05:56 AM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

That's rare, Yankytrash. My cholesterol levels are good, despite irregular exercise and fast food, because of lots of venison, prepared w/o much added fat.

For steaks and chops, try a marinade made from olive oil with fresh rosemary simmered in it, and poured over the meat when cool. Let it set an hour and then grill it.
Old December 8, 2001, 10:15 AM   #14
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Hey TrophyShop...................passed the local supermarket last night and on their sign our front they were advertizing "Boston Butt" Pork roasts for .79C per pound.....................now Bambi needs to show his face in my sights
Old December 8, 2001, 10:47 AM   #15
Bottom Gun

I'll sometimes add a pound or two of uncooked bacon to the meat I grind.