The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 10:45 PM   #101
TheDoubleDeuce

mbritt00, I apologize. I'm kind of an a-hole. I offend people in person all the time because of my blunt attitude. I guess that's why I joined the military instead of becoming a school teacher. As I said, I didn't mean to offend you. Yes, this topic is discussed very often, and yes, in your words the two camps are "very entrenched".

There's no crime in being new to a forum. I just created an account this month. I suppose reading the forums for a few years and being involved in the gun community gave me a background in the types of discussions that are very common. In the future I'll try to be more accommodating and less harsh.

EDIT: Just so my post isn't completely off-subject:

Here is a link to the Box O' Truth windshield test, including 9mm and .40. As expected, similar results through the windshield as far as point-of-aim vs point-of-impact. It would be interesting to see the difference in ballistics gel penetration post-windshield, but they didn't test that. To be fair, both calibers have been criticized for over-penetration, so I'm not sure penetration is a large concern. Speer Gold Dot JHPs claim reduced deflection from windows, and effective expansion upon impact with the target, and both calibers are still going to be similar. I personally opt for 9mm because I feel the follow-up shots and increased capacity are large factors in my ability to get a vital hit.

Last edited by TheDoubleDeuce; February 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:38 PM   #102
manta49

Edit.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:46 PM   #103
mbrittb00

It's all good. Thanks again for all the help.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:40 PM   #104
EMH

If you hit center mass with either caliber, the bad guy is going down. It's just that simple.
But the 9mm has lighter recoil, which makes it easier for follow up shots especially considering you're gonna have tons of adrenaline blasting through your veins, hence the easier follow up shot importance. Also, the 9mm pistols general carry more rounds in them. But then again, most self-defense shootings are usually over in 3~ shots.

All in all, it comes down to what the shooter is comfortable with. I can shoot a 40 and 9mm both well. Which do I prefer to shoot? Definitely a 9mm. It's not that I don't like a 40. 40 is a fine round, don't get me wrong. I just like shooting it out of metal frame guns. I really don't like it in polymer frame pistols. Just too snappy for me.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:52 PM   #105
militant

Center of mass hits with either caliber do not gaurentee a drop.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:08 PM   #106
Glenn E. Meyer

Folks stop bickering.

It's fairly clear now that quality 9s, 40s, 45s are equally crappy stoppers. However, 40s are snappy as are 357 Sigs.

I think I will carry my NAA 22S mini revolver - is that ok
Old February 3, 2013, 08:08 PM   #107
EMH

I was being hyperbolic. My point is no bad guy is gonna no the difference if you hit him center mass with a 9mm or .40 S&W.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:02 PM   #108
Dashunde

He may not know the difference, but he'd certainly feel it.