The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 10, 2010, 03:20 PM   #1
BeerSleeper

How to send a copy of my C&R app to CLEO

I'm working on my C&R application. I have the forms filled out. I have one question, about the need to send a copy to the local CLEO. Do I need to send that by any sort of registered/signature required mail? If not, what proof do I need that I've provided him this info?

I ask for two reasons. One being (maybe I'm paranoid here) for anything that deals with the ATF, I want all my t's crossed, i's dotted, and to retain proof that said t's and i's were dotted/crossed. I don't want to end up on the wrong side of anything to do with the ATF. The second reason, being I live in a small town, I know the chief, and I could just hand it to him in person, but this leaves me no proof.
Old May 10, 2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Avenger

Send it to the mailing address listed in the telephone book and write that address on the application form...that's all you need to do. You don't need registered mail or anything like that. The CLEO doesn't need to approve it or even KEEP the thing, and probably will simply throw it away.
Old May 10, 2010, 05:49 PM   #3
jonnyc

I just dropped mine off at the duty desk at the station.
Old May 10, 2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Crosshair

Quote:
I just dropped mine off at the duty desk at the station.
Same here.
Old May 10, 2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I know the chief, and I could just hand it to him in person, but this leaves me no proof.
That would be fine. The only requirement is that you give the CLEO a copy, and sign the form certifying that you did. No record required.
As Avenger said, it is then up to them what to do with it. If in some case the CLEO has reason for a person being denied, it's up to him to let BATF know.
The important part is that all the "t"s are crossed, and "i"s doted on what YOU send to the BATF.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 10, 2010, 07:08 PM   #6
BeerSleeper

I'll probably just drop it off in person then. I don't know the chief personally, but this will give me an opportunity, and a conversation starter.
Old May 10, 2010, 07:45 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

Being a small town, he might not understand what it is for. Take the entire application and instructions with you to explain.
Old May 10, 2010, 08:17 PM   #8
jonnyc

I wouldn't try to explain too much. You are required to inform them that the application has been made. I wouldn't try to go far beyond that.
Old May 10, 2010, 10:01 PM   #9
BeerSleeper

I'm not 100% certain I fully understand what it is for. My primary motivation is to get the dealer discounts at places like midway or grafs.
Old May 10, 2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Hardcase

I tried to give mine to the Chief here in town, but nobody (including the Chief) knew what to do with it. They ended up telling me to take it to the sheriff. The concealed weapons clerk knew exactly what it was for and was happy to take it off my hands. She ran my name through the computer, then round filed it.
Old May 11, 2010, 07:33 PM   #11
TX Hunter

I took mine in to the Justice of the Peace office, they filled out there part, kept the copy and wished me good luck with my firearms collecting.
I love living in Texas
Old May 11, 2010, 08:41 PM   #12
dogtown tom

Put a sticky note on it with "No action required" and drop it in the mail.

Nothing else is required.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 12, 2010, 06:08 PM   #13
Don H

Quote:
I took mine in to the Justice of the Peace office, they filled out there part, kept the copy and wished me good luck with my firearms collecting.
There's nothing on the form for a CLEO to fill out.
Old May 12, 2010, 06:12 PM   #14
BeerSleeper

He probably meant name and address, which doesn't have to be filled out BY the CLEO, but if you didn't know that info already, and were planning to drop it off in person, it would make sense to finish that part there.
Old May 12, 2010, 06:44 PM   #15
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I sent a copy of mine to the State Police. They sent it back to me and said they didn't want it. So I sent it to the local Police Chief and never heard boo. I got the C&R a month later.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:54 AM   #16
stickhauler

Quote:
I'm not 100% certain I fully understand what it is for. My primary motivation is to get the dealer discounts at places like midway or grafs.
It's all about that inter-department cooperation deal, the BATFE believes your local law enforcement department has a need to know you plan to posses a collectors license, and informing them of your intention gives them a chance to object if they feel a need to do so. Of all the people I know with a C & R license, I've yet to hear of any who did object.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:40 AM   #17
johnwilliamson062

I dropped it off to the duty desk or whatever.
Old May 13, 2010, 05:42 PM   #18
Hkmp5sd

I always send mine via US Mail to the county Sheriff with the notation "ATTN: C&R FFL RENEWAL NOTICE" on the outside of the envelope. It lets them throw it in the garbage without bothering to open.

NRA Life Member
Old May 13, 2010, 10:23 PM   #19
TX Hunter

Don H,

At our JP-s Office the JP filled out the part with the address for our police station, and the name of our justice of the peace.
It made sense and they were required to have a copy of it, so I gave it to them in person. They were alot of help.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:28 PM   #20
Cheapshooter

A friend was all nervous about how to get the "approval" of the CLEO in his county for getting a C&R license. I told him, and had him read question 4 on tha back of the form. He still insisted he had to personally take the copy of the form to the local precinct office. There, he was told by some genius that I don't even think was a cop but rather a clerk that he had to have finger prints, and an FBI background check before they could even consider his request. He told me that, so I brought over an envelope addressed to the Office of the Chief of Police, put the copy of the application in it, and mailed it. After a few weeks of asking me if I was sure we did the right thing he got his C&R License.
Point of the story. It's only a big deal if you make it one!
Old May 14, 2010, 05:16 PM   #21
emcon5

I did a brief cover letter, and threw it in the mail: This is what I used (lifted from someone else, on Calguns, I think)

Quote:

(Date)

(Your Name)
(Your Address)
(Your Phone Number)

(CLEO's Name)
(CLEO's Mailing Address)

Dear Chief (CLEO's last name):

Enclosed please find, as per federal regulation, a copy of my ATF Form 7CR. You are not required to take any action with respect to the enclosed form. If I can be of any service, or if there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the address above.

Sincerely,

(Your Signature)

(Your Name)
Stick it in an envelope with the form, addressed to the CLEO and drop it in the mail.
Old May 14, 2010, 06:58 PM   #22
BeerSleeper

I stopped by the office and handed it over in person. I had to wait a few days until I knew there was someone there (small town, one cop on duty...cruiser outside the station means there's someone there), but I'm glad I did it that way. My half of the form is in the mail now too, so all that's left to do is wait as fast as I can.
Old May 14, 2010, 09:25 PM   #23
lwfiredog

I used that same copy of the letter above and dropped it in the mail. Never heard a peep out of the local Sheriff and recieved my C&R license about 6 weeks later or something.
Old May 15, 2010, 08:49 PM   #24
sixgun67

I didn't know the address for our sheriff, so I called their office and they gave it to me. I mailed them a copy, and as far as I'm concerned, I don't worry if they got it or not. I imagine that the MOST that some poor clerk at the office had to do was make a file with my name on it and put the copy in it. Renewed a couple times so far and do the same drill. Have never heard anything back from them, so all must be well.
Old May 19, 2010, 05:37 AM   #25
gyvel

Our local CLEO here in northern AZ finds them to be a nuisance and disposes of them immediately. As long as you send it, you have fulfilled ATF requirements.