The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 7, 2012, 09:15 PM   #1
thedaddycat

Enfield Jungle Carbine

So I stopped at the LGS today and he had a Enfield Jungle Carbine there. Asking price was $450, which Blue Book shows as value for a 60% rifle. I took a quick look at it, it seemed OK, about like a lot of my other old milsurp bolt guns. I didn't want to seem too eager to the point that he won't deal on it, and while interesting he also had a Rock Island 1911 in stainless that was pretty nice, too.

I looked on Gunbroker and there are some for more and some for less. Condition is on par with those guns, from what I can tell from the pics.

What do you guys think, is it worth taking another look at it and seeing if he'll deal?
Old January 7, 2012, 09:51 PM   #2
mwells72774

do some research and see if it was one of the modified NO. 4's
Old January 8, 2012, 07:46 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

If it's a genuine No5, check for the lightening cuts on the receiver and knox form, and a 800yd backsight. $450 it would have to be near pristine and no import marks. If the rifle has any signs of being issued at one time I would say $350-400 max.

This No5 is in unissued condition. Doubt I could get over $500 for it.
Old January 9, 2012, 12:35 PM   #4
DoctorXring

Unissued no.5

MCB --

If that is truly an unissued no.5 all original, all matching
including the magazine, $500 would be a bargain for it.

PM me if you want to sell it.

I've got one, and I would not take 2x that for it.

dxr

Last edited by DoctorXring; January 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old January 9, 2012, 01:38 PM   #5
BlueTrain

It looks to be genuine but it's hard to imagine it being unissued. The electric pencil markings are suspect. Not that electric pencil markings are not to be found on issue British rifles, because I had one with such markings. It was a late manufacture No. 4. I cannot confirm what year it was made but late 1950s most likely. I no longer own it or any other rifle.

Your rifle, however, is clearly marked 1947. Could it have been factory refinished, do you suppose? The No. 4 I just mentioned had largely the same appearance, which included a thick varnish finish and not at all smooth or worn. The No. 5 that I had, bought around 1968 through the mail, just in time, had a nice, smooth finish that was considerably darker than both of the rifles pictured here. There was virtually no varnish and the surface finish was flat, rather like it had been oiled.
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 9, 2012, 03:08 PM   #6
bbrownie

jungle carbine

the electric pencil lettering is normal for an enfield made in farqarzely{excuse the spelling} england at that time.it should also should have a hollow bolt handle.
mine seems to shoot best with about four or five pounds pressure under the tip of the fore end.
very nice little rifles, enjoy.

Brownie
Old January 10, 2012, 01:13 AM   #7
Ignition Override

Some Enfield #4s also have a hollow bolt handle (do they match?), and if converted to an imitation "Jungle", could still have such bolts.
Old January 10, 2012, 06:59 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Xring, that is possibly the nicest No5 I have seen. I would rate it a few points higher than my No5. I have a few scratches on the bottom of the mag and bolt handle. Mine is a 3/47 Faz build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrain
The electric pencil markings are suspect. Not that electric pencil markings are not to be found on issue British rifles, because I had one with such markings.
Faz used the EP marking on all the No5's they made.

Here's a interesting stock repair on a well used No5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition Override
Some Enfield #4s also have a hollow bolt handle (do they match?), and if converted to an imitation "Jungle", could still have such bolts.
The No4 hollow bolt handles are fairly common, about a third of my collection has the hollow handles and they are number matched. Faz, BSA and Maltby. The "hole" on the No4 handles is smaller than the "hole" on No5 handles. Two different size holes on the No4's also.
Old January 29, 2012, 04:28 AM   #9
Ignition Override

True, and the #5 "Jungle's" wood contour, just forward of the mag well, has a different shape.
With a #4, the wood contour shape matches the metal on all three of mine.

I doubt that many imitation "Jungles" have an 800-yard sight, but it's possible.
My book by Charles Stratton can also answer some questions.

thedaddycat: You might have decided otherwise by now, but what was the bore/rifling condition, and did the bolt match the butt socket and action?
It might be luck to find one where no metal parts were cut/drilled by some nit wit, as often happened.

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 30, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old January 30, 2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Ignition Override

madcratebuilder/DoctorXring:

A year ago February at the Franklin TN (south of Nashville) gun show, a seller had an excellent #5 on his table. I believe that even the magazine # matched. It might have been as pristine as your guys' #5s.

His list price might have been $550 or about $600. I have no idea whether he received any offer etc.

Sometimes "Joesalter.com" (in NH) has a very good or excellent. My #5 from him in April '09 is at least a very good.