The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 2, 2007, 01:27 PM   #1
SpyderMan2k4

Winchester 1300 camo, price?

Hey guys
Here's the story. A few years ago my dad's boss let him borrow a shotgun for turkey season. His boss would go to gun shows all the time and ALWAYS go home with at least 1 new gun that he'd win. I'm fairly confident the guy nevery fired this shotgun (from the title, winchester 1300 12 gauge, with what I'm pretty sure is a 24 inch barrel, real tree camo). So my dad borrows it but forgets about it. About 2 years later my dad is going through the gun cabinet and finds it. He tells his boss about it, and his boss says "Oh yeah? I must have forgotten about it. Oh well, just keep it." I'm pretty sure it was never used again (my guess is that prior to today, it had less than 10 rounds through it). Well today I took my roommates to shoot clay targets. The last couple days my one roommate has been saying he'd like to get a shotgun. Well, as soon as he saw and used that one he fell in love with it, so asked if my dad would sell it. I'm more of a mossberg fan, so I don't know tons about what the going rate for this particular gun is. Considering it's certainly in "like new" condition, what would you guys ask for this? What is the minimum and maximum you would charge? Thanks...

This is not it, however it seems to be identical (without the fiber optic sights). http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=71148512
Old May 2, 2007, 02:01 PM   #2
RsqVet

300 bucks seems the high end to me a few thigns to keep in mind when arriving at a value on the 1300...

They are not made anymore but have no collector intrest so it's a negative as support, parts, etc. will be less in time, though it's not bad right now.

The 1300 is not held in as high regard as an 870 or Mossberg 500 in terms of quality of design / durability

At any price in this range you are compeating with the price of a NEW 870 or 500... check the prices at walmart on similar guns, you may well be suprised to see what 300 bucks or less will buy.

Now those are the "value line" or their respective makers but it would still be hard to argue that they represent less value than a used 1300, esp givne that one would have some choce as to what configuration you purchased.

So it comes down to how your friend feels about the 1300 and how you feel about him... if he is a good friend and you really have no use of the gun sell it to him for 125 bucks... that is the bottom of the pawn shop price scale here for any working pump and is a good deal on any working, non-abused pump gun.

If he is absolutley in love with it and you or your dad wish to maximize the price maybe it's worth 250-300 bucks to him, there is no law aginst that if he wants to pay that for it however if he is new to shooting, in fairness to him I'd at lieast suggest running by the walmart gun counter to make sure he wants the 1300 over something there. If he still wants the 1300 great everyone is happy, if he decides against it you have not let sellign someting get in the way of a friendship.
Old May 2, 2007, 02:08 PM   #3
SpyderMan2k4

good reply. I didn't know they stopped making them, but it would explain why I couldn't find it on Winchester's web site! He's an decent friend, but not GREAT. Considering the condition it's in and how much it likes it, while also keeping in mind the value may go down in time, right now I'm thinking between $175 and $200... seems fair to me? Obviously, I can do whatever I want as far as price, but I want to give him a decent deal while avoiding ripping myself off. Thanks for the input!
Old May 2, 2007, 04:47 PM   #4
mrawesome22

I bought a 1300 turkey gun right before they quit making them. I paid $299.99+tax. $200 would be a good deal for him. $225 would be a good deal for you
Old December 23, 2008, 11:52 PM   #5
rolltider08

Winchester 1300 NWTF Camo

I own a Winchester 1300 NWTF Camo and my rear sights have just fallen off. I can't find any parts for this gun yet alone just a pic of the gun. If anyone has any info or a good sight with this shotgun please let me know. Also I want to know what chokes can I shoot a slug out of this gun?