The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2005, 01:11 PM   #1
cobra81

Resizing .222 Mag brass to .204 Ruger?

I am unable to find any supplier with .204 Ruger brass. Got the dies and bullets, but the only way I can get brass right now is to buy Hornady loaded ammo. My understanding is that the 204 is basically the .222 Rem.Mag. necked down to accept the smaller bullet.....if I got my hands on some .222 Mag brass and resized it with the 204 dies I already have, would it work?
Just wondering. Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places for 204 brass, but I usually shop Midway, Cabela's, Midsouth, and Natchez, and they are all backorder or unavailable. Thanks.
Old April 13, 2005, 06:44 PM   #2
steveno

my guess is that 222 mag brass or ammo is going to be harder to come by than 204 stuff. if it was me I would just break down and buy some 204 ammo. not only will that give you some fireformed brass but a guideline as well to compare your reloads to
Old April 13, 2005, 07:23 PM   #3
swifter...

I ran into a post elsewhere talking about necking .17 Remington brass up to .204. If you're that frustrated/desperate, I'd discuss it with the guys at Sinclair International, they might have some suggestions.

In either case, I'd suggest you consider annealing the cases before reforming them. I've had that help a lot with Remington cases.

Good luck,

Tom
Old April 13, 2005, 09:58 PM   #4
cobra81

Nah, I'm not that frustrated or desperate. I'm basically lazy. I bought up several boxes of Hornady ammo and shot them today, so on the bright side I now have 40 fire-formed cases to work with. And it's not like I can call a day of shooting "work". As a matter of fact, it was great fun. The factory loads chronographed consistently around 4060 fps with the 32 gr. pills. And the accuracy is pretty impressive. After just a few ranging shots (this is a brand-new Savage Model 12FV varminter) to zero the scope, I printed a four-shot group that made me smile! I'm gonna like this rifle. Tonight I reloaded some of the brass....used Hodgdon H335 and the 32 gr. bullets. I'm used to reloading for my 30/06, so it's going to take some time to get used to working with much smaller cases and bullets!
Old April 14, 2005, 04:41 PM   #5
ghillieman

yes you can, I have been doing it since last fall, the 222 rem mag case,is what the .204 is based on, check out,www.armsandammo.com they have the new win.204brass and the 222rem mag brass, I ordered some today.. but hurry he said its going fast................ghillieman
Old April 14, 2005, 08:25 PM   #6
cobra81

Ghillieman,
Thanks for the lead on the 204 brass. I'll give them a call tomorrow. If I have to settle for the 222 mag brass, is there anything special I need to know when reforming it to .204? Have you been annealing the brass? I've got the Lee full-length sizer and seater dies. Used them for the first time last night and seemed to perform fine. Thanks
Old April 15, 2005, 10:14 PM   #7
ghillieman

no there is nothing special, I have a set of redding dies, they are a whole lot better than the lee's, the redding came with a neck sizer too. I just neck sized the 222rem mag brass the first time and had no problem.. although I did have some primers pushed out after fireing got it narrowed down to soft brass. let me know how you make out....ghillieman p.s. I am not annealing as the brass is pretty thin anyway