The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 3, 2001, 02:20 PM   #1
saands

porting rifle barrels

Are there any good books or other references on how to go about porting the barrel of a rifle. I will be interested in porting a .300WM and a .243 once these projects get closer to completion and would like to start seeing what is required. The goal is to reduce the effects of recoil (at least muzzle climb). Is this even something that can be done in a reasonable shop with a mill? From what I gather, MagnaPort cuts into existing barrels. I can see how their EDM process doesn't leave burrs ... can this be done with standard tools/techniques or are the options for a pre-existing barrel limited to add on brakes?

Lots of ????'s ... Thanks for the input,
Saands
Old November 3, 2001, 10:04 PM   #2
kurt IA.

Other than an EDM, I would go with a ad on. from a maching point of vew, you would need to get the ports in the groves, without cutting into the rifeling, that would cause quite a bump. Not for the home shop, or most smiths ether.
Old November 3, 2001, 11:22 PM   #3
Celt

Even the EDM ports are not really that great. Through a bore scope you can see erosion after awhile and the barrel fouls at the holes. Porting reduces muzzle jump but does very little for actual felt recoil. A muzzle brake is the best way to go for accuracy sake and recoil sake... If you dont mind the extra noise
Celt
Old November 4, 2001, 06:38 PM   #4
saands

OK ... Thanks. Are there any good or bad brakes to know about? Do most install with threads or do you pin them?
Thanks,
Saands
Old November 4, 2001, 08:46 PM   #5
Cain R

Don't do it!!! Muzzle brakes, recoil reducers whatever you want to call them are more trouble than they are worth. Muzzle blast. The problem with them is the horrendous noise wave they generate. I've taken the brakes (KDF) off the only two rifles of mine that had them on, a .300 WBY and .416 Rem. Taking ear plugs along when hunting was a real drag, not to mention the real dirty looks I got when I went to the range to use the 300-500 yds stations. The last time out this spring three seperate shooters actually asked me to put the .300 Wby away because of the noise and sound wave. Recoil was way down but the noise was WAY up. Both now happily reside without brakes.
Old November 4, 2001, 11:37 PM   #6
Celt

KDF brakes are amongst the loudest ones out there. There are ok on recoil reduction but there are brakes out the that are a not quite as noisy and better in recoil reduction.
A good alternative to ear plugs are electronic muffs. Good ones like Peltors actually allow you to hear better than with your naked ear and kill the loud sounds.

Answer Products make about the best brake there is. It is louder than a rifle with out one, but not near as bad as a KDF. It also reduces recoil better.

Celt
Old November 5, 2001, 11:43 AM   #7
saands

I have the "amplifying" ear muffs ... they really are a trip as you hear all kinds of soft sounds like twigs breaking and leaves rustling, but then the .308 sounds like a .22 ... none of my friends have them, though, so noise is still a little bit of an issue. It sounds like I might need to go into this being forewarned that I might not like the results.
Thanks for the warning and the input.

Saands