The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 20, 2011, 10:18 PM   #101
DiscoRacing

I felt four of five pounds heavier...
Old November 23, 2011, 10:01 PM   #102
Red Dog

After a few months I feel better. Heck even forget that I'm carrying.... Almost normal
Old November 23, 2011, 10:09 PM   #103
orionengnr

Like an American, living in a Free State at long last.

After a period of time, normal and comfortable.

Perhaps more importantly, how do I feel when not carrying?

Somewhat unnatural. Same as if I am without my wallet.
Old November 24, 2011, 09:27 AM   #104
m&p45acp10+1

Last night I felt like I had a bit of my skin sandblasted off. I started carrying a Sig P250 sub compact, and the grips have verry agressive surface. I lightly sanded them some, looks like I need to sand them some more.
Old November 24, 2011, 10:12 AM   #105
Sparks1957

I feel quite normal, thank you.
Old November 24, 2011, 10:52 PM   #106
FM12

I FEEL PRETTY MUCH INVINCIBLE. So there. Been doing it for nigh on 40 years now. Never a shot fired in anger.
Old December 23, 2011, 05:23 PM   #107
Jeep Driver

How do you feel when you CC?

Safe.
Old December 23, 2011, 09:26 PM   #108
SauerGrapes

Quote:
I'm new to CC but I got to say I was nervous and felt like everyone knew I was carrying. I actually went to the vehicle and took it off

I'll never forget the first day I ever carried a CCW, I went in to the local notary and when I walked in, there stood a Ridley Township police officer. I can only imagine the look on my face when I saw him.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old December 23, 2011, 09:34 PM   #109
ritepath

To me if feels great to be a responsible citizen...the safety of my family is in my hands.
Old December 23, 2011, 09:34 PM   #110
B.N.Real

THANK YOU for posting this thread.

Because I can tell you exactly how I feel.

RESPONSIBLE for my own safety and my wife's safety and ABLE to DEFEND BOTH.

I DO NOT feel like I'm hiding some big secret and I have ZERO intention of ever pulling my handgun unless I can justify it in a court of law.

That means I have to think that I or/and my wife are in risk of greivious bodily harm before I can ever pull it out.

And it's really no one's business that I am carrying unless a police officer asks me.

The fewer people that know you are carrying,the better in my book.

I never look for trouble but I always look for trouble that could be trying to find me.

The handgun is simply there to help me and my wife survive it if it ever gets that serious.

I hope it never does.

Last edited by B.N.Real; December 23, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old December 23, 2011, 09:42 PM   #111
kinggabby

I have had my CCW for 20 days at the time of this posting. My first time I was not too worried about it. I felt rather comfortable. I guess that's because I had been looking for holsters and trying different carry positions while I waited for my approval letter to arrive. Went to the the Sheriffs dept. to pick it up went straight home and strapped it on and went to the store. I knew that I was not printing before I actually started to carry. So I was ok with that. the only times I don't have it one me is when I go to bed,first wake up or when I am about to get out my car to go to work . As soon as shorts go on gun goes on next.
Old December 24, 2011, 04:10 PM   #112
Buckeye!

I feel normal when I carry , Naked when I don't.....
Old December 24, 2011, 05:07 PM   #113
ak2323

Heavy.

At least that is how I am explaining my last weigh in.
Old December 24, 2011, 05:32 PM   #114
MTT TL

When I don't carry I always feel like I forgot something.
Old December 24, 2011, 07:20 PM   #115
1goodshot

After 13 years of doing it I dont fell normal with out my gun. Kind of like putting your pants on every morning.
Old December 24, 2011, 07:47 PM   #116
Daekar

When I first started, I felt like I had a spotlight on me. Now... I'm with the other posters, I feel naked without a gun on me somewhere. You get used to it... I'm pretty convinced that over time you can get used to anything.
Old December 26, 2011, 09:42 PM   #117
IRONPONY

It felt a bit strange at first , but to get used to it , I kept my handgun on me at all times, except at work.
Even at home , I wore it & to practice my concealment , I did not even let my wife see me strap up until later.
Since I hang quite a bit with my cousin & his friends who are all leo , it was easy being comfortable.
Guess having a military background helps too & being raised around handguns & rifles .
Carry on ......
Old December 27, 2011, 12:46 AM   #118
BCDWYO

Lots of good responses and I probably don't have a lot to add other than my own personal experience...I recall definitely being aware of the gun at all times when I first started carrying. I didn't feel the anxiety that you felt but definitely the awareness. I also recall feeling empowered and safer (still do). At this point, I feel very anxious and exposed when I DON'T carry.
Old December 27, 2011, 10:24 AM   #119
hulley

I feel calm and collected. I try to be aware of my surroundings at all times but more so when I carry. When I carry I'm watching my surroundings closley and not my damn phone so naturally I'm more "with it" as opposed to being lost on the little electronic devices that so clutter our worlds these days.
Old December 30, 2011, 11:50 PM   #120
Win73

I don't feel anything when I am carrying. The only time I feel anything is when I am not carrying. Then, like the cowboy without his six gun, I feel naked.

I've carried so long now that to me it is just the normal, natural state. I really don't feel right if I am not armed. As I sit here in my own house typing this, I am armed.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old December 31, 2011, 12:06 AM   #121
Win73

Quote:
I FEEL PRETTY MUCH INVINCIBLE. So there. Been doing it for nigh on 40 years now. Never a shot fired in anger.
That would be a bad way to feel because being armed definitely does not make you invincible. Feeling that way, especially someone new to CCW, might cause you to do something stupid. I started carrying 40 years ago back in my police days. I am at least as careful while carrying if not more so than if I wasn't carrying. I try to keep aware of my surroundings and if I see something suspicious, I will avoid it if possible. I definitely try not to be confrontational. I don't feel I have to prove my manhood so won't argue or get in a huff over some minor incident.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old December 31, 2011, 12:24 AM   #122
Alaska444

Looks like it is pretty much unanimous. All of us felt a bit weird when we first started carrying, but then after we found out folks weren't running away and calling 911, it became a part of our own self that we feel completely naked going without.

I get to carry about 7 months of the year in Idaho, and then I go back to CA where I can no longer carry and have no hope of this changing any time soon. I truly hate the feeling of not having my EDC in my right front pocket. My wife feels better when I have my little Ruger and she often asks me if I am packing especially if we are going some where after dark. Up there, she wonders if a bear is going to approach us. Here in Ca, she is afraid of the creeps. We are working on getting out of CA completely, but that is still a bit away for at least one or two more years at a minimum. When we accomplish this last move, I will be able to carry everywhere I go, every day.

I am even working on getting my wife CCW qualified first teaching her to be comfortable with a revolver. I am in line to buy the SP101 .22 LR for her and get to teaching the basic fundamentals to her. Although a .22 LR is NOT the greatest CCW gun, it is still a lethal weapon and with her carpal tunnel syndrome and recoil intolerance, it may be the best I can get her to feel comfortable with.

Life carrying is an American privilege that few other nations have any concept. The right to carry does in many ways make us American, self reliant, self sufficient and independent. It is the way it should be.
Old December 31, 2011, 12:59 AM   #123
doofus47

except for checking to make sure my hoodie/shirt wasn't riding up, it doesn't bother me much. Walk around the house with it for awhile. It will feel more natural.
Old December 31, 2011, 10:53 PM   #124
Terry A

I've carried every day for 31+ years. It's such a natural part of my life-style that I would really feel funny without a pistol on or near me. I have no known enemies, live in a decent neighborhood and am not paranoid. I'm a retired police officer who is just vigilant and very protective of those who are around me. Other than my wife & kids (and you fellas on here), nobody knows I carry. I've never printed, flashed or announced when I was out & about that I was armed. It's been something that I tried hard not to ever convey, but after all this time, it's very, very natural now.

I guess to sum all that up in one sentence, I carry everyday and everywhere & it makes me stay vigilant, but in a relaxed & responsible kinda way.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old January 1, 2012, 01:34 AM   #125
tac-safe

CC takes getting use to

It will take a bit to get use to...that's common. The good thing is knowing how to use it and when. Don't get caught short..."Train the way you Fight"! Check out some of my articles at http://www.tac-safe.com

Be safe!
San Antonio CHL