The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 20, 2013, 09:12 PM   #901
Cesure

Quote:
Cease and desist personal insults in the discussion. Discuss the facts and your evaluation of such without innuendo.
Great, maybe then I'll get answers to my questions.

Quote:
My purpose is to make genuine note of the fact that unlike many other rounds, there is a genuine (LARGE) break point at 3-inches with this round.

The .327 Federal is looked at as a viable defense round because of the speed and energy it can bring, knowing full well that it needs exactly that because the other items that typically make up defensive handgun ammo are simply NOT available. You don't have bullet weight and you don't have bullet size. It's a .32, and you might hope to argue that a ".32" is a viable defensive round, but that's a whole other (worn out) discussion. A ".32" as we've known it for a hundred years is a subcaliber defensive round and not a primary.

The .327 Federal, with it's small size, light weight, small diameter... becomes S-L-O-W also when shot in the snubbie barrels.

The snubbie that nobody makes and nobody other than Taurus did make, and they ceased them also.

Enjoy all the 40,000 PSI blast and fireworks of .327 Federal from the Taurus snubbie. At least you'll get all that...everything else is lacking.

(unless your argument is how much better it is than a .32 Smith & Wesson Long, in which case, *WOW*, you were right all along... )
Can you name a revolver cartridge used in snubbies that doesn't have a significant break point at some longer barrel length?

The fact is, the 327 Fed Mag snubby is impressive. It just isn't as impressive as a longer barreled gun. But let's see if we can agree on where to place it among the snubbies. Can we agree that it's more versatile and capable of damage than the .32 H&R Mag?

Can we agree that it's less capable of damage than the .357 Mag?

Can we agree that it holds one more round for the same cylinder width as the 38 Special/357 Mag?

Can we agree that it delivers more muzzle energy with common factory ammo than the 38 special?

Can we agree that it's not less adequate for personal defense than the 38 Special snubby?

Can we agree that its lack of popularity with manufacturers is likely due to nothing more than a lack of popularity with buyers?

Can we agree that the lack of popularity with buyers indicates nothing more than their personal preferences?

Can we agree that Charter, Ruger, S&W and Taurus have all marketed them? And that they decided that their products' suitability for personal defense is a matter of the buyers' opinions?

Is it your opinion that no snubby is suitable for personal defense? If not, where do you draw the line and what metrics do you base that on?
Old May 20, 2013, 09:24 PM   #902
Cesure

Quote:
I believe Smith's NON-ported stainless 632 ("Pro" series IIRC) is a sub 3" gun. I've been tempted on it but cost has been an issue to this point for me, though I think the gap with others' offerings has narrowed somewhat..or that may be wishful thinking on my part.
I saw one of those on GB with a 2-1/8" barrel. They are currently so rare that they are very pricey. Ruger made some SP-101s with a 2" barrel. Charter stopped making 327 snubbies and claimed in an email that it was because the cartridge is more suitable for rifles. I'm guessing they had problems with using an inadequate undersized frame that they tried to beef up to handle the round.
Old May 21, 2013, 07:11 AM   #903
BillCA

Re: 2-inch Snubbies in .327 Federal Magnum

I think it bears repeating and illustrating the known ballistics of the 327 FM so we level the playing field.

Velocities:
Sevens is correct - to a point - when he says the .327 FM loses it's high performance punch out of a 2-inch barrel. In a 2-inch barrel, the 327 FM stays subsonic (less than 1100 fps). But once you give it 3-inches of snout, it becomes a fire-breather, jumping to over 1300 fps.

Comparing the 327 FM to the .32 H&R doesn't really work unless you compare the sub-3-inch barrels. There, the .32 H&R pushes the common 85 grain bullet at 845 fps while the .327 FM is only marginally better at 976 fps. That gives the 327 a 45-ft/lb advantage (135 vs. 180). The older .32 H&R Magnum runs out of steam in an 8-inch barrel just breaking into the 1200 fps range.

The chart below shows the velocities of these cartridges from various barrel lengths from the Ballistics by the Inch website. It is clear that the performance of the .327 FM drops off markedly below a 3-inch barrrel.

The drop (or performance gain) at the 3-inch mark tells me that Federal's powder blend in its factory ammo works well for the intended purpose. It's debatable whether handloaders will see similar results with canister powders which tend to be more linear in their power outputs.

Energy
When using a 3-inch barrel, the performance of the .327 FM is impressive in terms of energy. It out-ranks the .38 Special and 9mm and matches up to the .40 S&W quite well. (See chart below.)

The distinct disadvantage is the smaller diameter bullet which might barely miss some vital structure the larger bullet would damage. But that's predicated on a diameter difference of only .088" too, which makes the argument questionable. It's essentially a moot point between the 9mm and .327 with only .043" difference.

For personal defense, the .327 FM looks very good on paper. I haven't heard or read any accounts of its real-world performance, however. (If you know of any, links are appreciated). From a 3-inch revolver, I wouldn't feel undergunned with the .327 at all.

I do sometimes carry a .32 H&R in the form of a S&W 432PD and it's light weight and modest recoil makes it easy to put two on target fast. But I'm really interested in seeing a K-Frame S&W for this cartridge as well as a short lever rifle.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:29 AM   #904
Cesure

Hopefully, I won't run afoul of any copyright restrictions by quoting this note from BBTI's Jim Downey

http://ballisticsbytheinch.wordpress...ederal-magnum/

One note: in every case... ...the length of the barrel was measured from the end of the barrel back to the breech face. This is how semi-auto pistols are measured, but revolvers are measured as the length of the barrel in front of the cylinder gap. Take this into consideration when comparing calibers using our numbers.

So the numbers for a revolver with a 2″ barrel would fall approximately in that 4″ chop test range.

End of Quote

In the context of the .327 snubby performance, repeatedly talking about the performance of the .327 Fed Mag out of revolvers with a 3" barrel is meaningless. The snubby will not perform as well as those, ever, but that is irrelevant. The people who want to carry and shoot a snubby will carry and shoot a snubby. The performance of the .327 Fed Mag in a 1.75" - 2.25" barreled revolver vs. other rounds is the issue.

In both velocity and energy, it outperforms the slightly larger bullets, until you pack the wallop of a .357 Magnum. By being longer and narrower (for equivalent weight) it will penetrate air, clothing and skin better, thus retaining more energy for deep penetration. The difference will be as slight as the difference in diameter, which is tiny. This is not like comparing a .22 to a .38. This is comparing .312 to .358.

But since the actual velocity from a snubby has been mentioned, using the velocity chart supplied by BBTI and the 4" number, the 115 gr Gold Dot will be traveling at 1451 fps. minus a little for the cylinder gap which will be a factor for all snubbies. I personally think that number is much too high because the real world SP101 with a 3" barrel is 95 fps lower. But I would not assume the velocity for the snubby is subsonic because the angle of the curve is already dropping between the 3" and 5" numbers, where the snubby barrel length would be. If anybody wants to send me a chronograph and about 300 rounds of 115 gr. Gold Dot, I'll be happy to give you a more accurate number. I could even make a Box o' Truth and have some penetration data.

The question of bullet performance is important. The Speer Gold Dot bullets are probably the most likely to perform best out of snubbies for personal defense in both the .32 H&R Mag and .327 Fed Mag. That's because they are designed to expand well over a larger range of velocities. Some of the others may actually perform better out of the snubby than they do out of a 3" barrel because they may not hold together at the higher velocity.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:16 PM   #905
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
So the numbers for a revolver with a 2″ barrel would fall approximately in that 4″ chop test range.
In practice it rarely works like that. In spite of the difference in the way the barrels are measured, the velocities tend to match pretty well when one compares velocities as if they are measured the same. The generally accepted idea is that the barrel-cylinder gap is largely responsible for the anomaly.

The BBTI data from the .327Mag bears this out. Looking at the data from "Real World Guns" on the .327Mag page shows that the 3.0625" barrel SP101 Ruger chronograph data aligns quite closely with the 3" figures from the chop test--showing an average difference of only 39fps.

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/327mag.html

Your claim suggests that it should align better with the 5" chop test data and it obviously does not (average difference of 218fps lower). It's also a poor match for the 4" chop test data at 118fps lower.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:07 AM   #906
Cesure

Quote:
Looking at the data from "Real World Guns" on the .327Mag page shows that the 3.0625" barrel SP101 Ruger chronograph data aligns quite closely with the 3" figures from the chop test--showing an average difference of only 39fps.
I mentioned that I thought the 5" number was high, but the relevant point is that the curve is already curving down when you get to the 3" number. The steep line between 2" and 3" will not be as steep for a revolver unless you start with only a cylinder instead of a 2" barrel. Rather than assuming you would move left on the curve until you hit the real world number and then down the steep slope to get a snubby guess, it's more logical to simply shift the whole curve down for revolvers until the 5" number matches the real world data. That would produce a higher result when subtracting one inch of barrel length. As I said, I'll gladly do the testing if you'll provide the instrument and ammo.
Old May 22, 2013, 07:00 AM   #907
BillCA

Quote:
...but the relevant point is that the curve is already curving down when you get to the 3" number. The steep line between 2" and 3" will not be as steep for a revolver unless you start with only a cylinder instead of a 2" barrel.
I suppose your assumptions are true only if you are working backwards from high-to-low velocities (i.e. reading the chart from right to left). But that ignores the development of the round and the internal ballistics dynamics.

The .327 was developed to provide a cartridge for "personal protection" revolvers that was to be lighter recoiling than the .357 Magnum while also providing similar energy levels. In order to do that, within "reasonable" pressure limits, Federal came up with a blend of powders to get the 85-115 grain bullets moving fast in the shortest effective barrel length. With a 2-inch barrel, there just isn't the time for the pressure to drive the bullet to higher velocities without creating a self-disassembling firearm. In the 3-inch barrel you have the minimum necessary time to safely[1] boost the velocity to over 1300 fps without the risk of turning the revolver into a grenade.

From a few years of reloading and interpreting velocity readings, my thinking is that the .327 needs the extra inch of room in a 3" barrel to develop sufficient pressure to get you to 1300 fps where energies begin to match the .357. Looking at the 100 grain AE JSP, the powder continues to create pressure at 4", hence the higher velocity readings. It peaks at 6", which tells me it's at this point the powder has produced all it's useful pressure. Between 7" and 14" the bullet is no longer accelerating from pressure as it slowly catches up to its peak velocity (interior) from diminishing pressure. In the shorter barrel length (2" nominal) you're still getting "good" velocity (compared to a .38 Special for instance) but not getting into the higher-pressure regime necessary for high energies.

This is quite similar to what we saw when trying to develop some custom handloads for snubbies back in the mid to late 1970's. We used both 125 and 146 grain jacketed SWC bullets and loaded them to what is now slightly beyond the +P specs[2] (we weren't worried about liability at that point, only in not blowing up the guns). Loads that produced good results in our test gun - a bobbed 3" S&W Model 13, produced better results in a 3.5" Model 27, excellent results in a 4" Colt Python and slightly better in a 6" Model 19. But using a 1-7/8" Chiefs Special or a 2-inch Detective special showed a marked drop in velocity[3] - a decidedly non-linear drop like we see with the .327 in a 2" barrel.

We learned that Colt's barrels were made to a tighter specification[4] than S&W's and adding a 4" Model 28 (mine) to the test sequence lowered the velocity in that barrel length. We were using fast powders (e.g. Hercules Bullseye and Red Dot). We also learned that short-barreled guns, because they vent pressure so rapidly can't build the peak pressure needed without gobs of powder behind it. I think of if in terms of needing the additional bore volume in that extra inch to allow sufficient gas to enter the bore to build the higher velocities.

One of our "gang of co-conspirators" as we called ourselves, did manage to launch a 146 grain pill out of the snubby S&W at 1140 fps with is mighty impressive (and into .357 territory[5]). The down side is that when fired from his 4" Colt Diamondback, it launched the front third of the barrel downrange with the bullet (taking out our only chrono in the process). The Python might have survived, but it was enough to stop our experiments. Enough extra powder to get the pressure you need in a 2" will over-pressure in a 3-4" barrel which can result in an "undesirable event."[6]

1 Provided one thinks of a "safely" as a 40,000+ PSI handgun cartridge!
2 The term "slightly" is a serious understatement.
3 We test fired from the sturdier .357 guns first, for safety, before risking our precious digits with the snubby .38 Special guns.
4 Reportedly, at that time, Colt's revolver bores were sized to a 0.3556" standard while S&Ws were typically 0.356-0.3565" diameter.
5 Do not try this at home.
6 Undesirable only because the frame distorted slightly and there were no permanent injuries.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:08 AM   #908
Cesure

Quote:
I suppose your assumptions are true only if you are working backwards from high-to-low velocities (i.e. reading the chart from right to left). But that ignores the development of the round and the internal ballistics dynamics.
I don't think it matters which direction the chart is being read from. What matters is physics. I don't have an SP101 to measure, but the cylinder of my Taurus 327 is approx 1-5/8" long, so for the sake of discussion let's use that for the SP101.

Would you assume that the bullet leaves the cylinder with zero velocity or with something quite a bit higher? It wouldn't be as high as the 2" BBTI test barrel, but any pressure loss due to cylinder gap is not a factor yet. For the sake of discussion, let's call that velocity VR0 and stick with the 115 gr. Gold Dot bullet data.

The muzzle velocity of a 1" snubby barrel would be VR1.
The muzzle velocity of my Taurus 327 (a 2" snubby barrel) is VR2.
The muzzle velocity of the real world SP101 is VR3 which, from the BBTI data = 1356 fps.

If we do a straight line interpolation of the data,

VR1 = VR0 + 1/3(VR3 - VR0)
VR2 = VR0 + 2/3(VR3 - VR0)

So, if VR0 was 588 fps, VR2 would be 1100 fps and would be at the approximate subsonic/supersonic boundary that you mentioned. Considering that the 2" BBTI data point is 1042 fps, I'm having no trouble believing a 1.625" data point could be above 588 fps.

But it's obvious that a straight line interpolation between the 2" value and the 5" value on the BBTI table would produce unreasonably low values for the 3" and 4" data points. I'll go through the numbers just to demonstrate.

2" = 1042 fps
5" = 1535 fps

a straight line interpolation would predict that

3" = 1206 but the table shows 1316, a difference of 110 fps
4" = 1371 but the table shows 1451, a difference of 80 fps

Since the BBTI table has already indicated a curve instead of a straight line, wouldn't it make sense to assume that the real world VR1 and VR2 would also be higher than the straight line interpolated values and thus allow a lower VR0 to still achieve the 1100 fps for VR2?

The 4" BBTI test value is 94.5% of the 5" value and is at 83% of the difference between the 2" and 5" values (instead of the 67% difference of a straight line interpolation).

If we guessed VR2 at 83% of the difference between VR0 and VR3, then VR0 could be as low as 31 fps and still produce a VR2 of 1100+ fps.

Testing would show us the real world VR2, but until it does, I'm having no trouble believing that it's probably supersonic. For it not to be, that 1" of barrel would have to make difference of greater than 256 fps. It just doesn't seem likely.
Old May 22, 2013, 01:59 PM   #909
Lordy123

Maybe I'll have to get a chrono, I'm curious now.

The only reason I bought my Taurus is because I couldn't find a SP101 in .327. I still hope to find one though.
Old May 22, 2013, 02:08 PM   #910
Kev

I find all the stats and bickering rather amusing..
Bottom line was I did enough research on the 327 and was intrigued enough to hit the GO! button!

I liked that I was buying it for my wife, and that I could train her on 32 S&W, move to HR mags then carry with full house 327's. Six of em to be exact

It would be far superior than a 9 shot 22 cal Rossi or Taurus, which I was originally thinking for her..

Some calibers appeal to some people, no amount of arguments can dissuade a person if it all works for them.

I don't need a 357SIG chambered firearm, but if you do and like it, CARRY ON!
Old May 22, 2013, 03:17 PM   #911
Cesure

Quote:
I find all the stats and bickering rather amusing..
Bottom line was I did enough research on the 327 and was intrigued enough to hit the GO! button!

I liked that I was buying it for my wife, and that I could train her on 32 S&W, move to HR mags then carry with full house 327's. Six of em to be exact

It would be far superior than a 9 shot 22 cal Rossi or Taurus, which I was originally thinking for her..

Some calibers appeal to some people, no amount of arguments can dissuade a person if it all works for them.
Bickering?

I bought mine for the same reason, so my wife could have the options it offers. Even if she wants to use H&R Mags for personal defense, that's way better than .22 Mag, .25 ACP, or .32 ACP. But I happen to like shooting it with either the H&R Mags or the Fed Mags.

But this seemed to be one guy saying, "If you're going to use the .327 for personal defense, don't buy a snubby." Whereas my position is, "If you're going to use a snubby for personal defense, take a good look at the calibers and choose the one that appeals to you the most." If the BBTI numbers for the .327 Fed Mag are higher than realistic for revolvers, then they're probably higher than realistic for the rest of the revolver cartridges and over all barrel lengths. If you're looking for the right caliber for a revolver of a particular barrel length, you're looking at more factors than velocity and energy. The BBTI numbers are useful for comparing one cartridge size to another in a relative sense because the methodology for testing remains consistent. So even if they aren't accurate for revolvers, they're useful for choosing between them.
Old May 22, 2013, 04:15 PM   #912
Kev

I don't think a perp getting 6 327 fed's in the chest is going to feel any different if they were launched from a 2 inch snubby or a longer barreled Ruger
Old May 22, 2013, 04:29 PM   #913
Billy Shears

Quote:
But this seemed to be one guy saying, "If you're going to use the .327 for personal defense, don't buy a snubby." Whereas my position is, "If you're going to use a snubby for personal defense, take a good look at the calibers and choose the one that appeals to you the most."

Cesure, I think that's a very valid categorization, but strictly speaking it's not precise, at least not in the present context.

Looking back over the past couple pages, this topic of discussion began not as whether or not you should carry a snub-nosed revolver chambered in .327, but whether your wife and other member's wives should.

I don't know from reading previous posts that anyone has asked them for their input yet or reported back on their reactions to firing [or dare I say, training with] such a beast.

With that in mind, all this discussion over barrel lengths and ballistics and drop-off rates, while fascinating, is missing the point. Granted, it's important and I actually find it very enlightening. Both you and Sevens [and of course Bill, as always] have shed a lot of light on this topic. For that I thank each of you. But let's step back a moment.

Does your wife---does anyone's wife here---enjoy firing full house .327 loads through a snub-nosed revolver? Is the blast, flash and recoil worth it to gain the 6th round? What do they say about this?

I'm a pretty big guy and I'll admit without hesitation that the blast coming out of the 3" SP-101 was more than I was willing to put up with so I sold it. I simply cannot imagine a scenario where my wife would have been willing to carry something so...volcanic...for her personal protection; much less train with it regularly enough to become safe and proficient. My .327 GP100 on the other hand is much tamer and I can shoot it all day. And the very factors that render it more shootable also render it more powerful, more "ballistically capable" so to speak.

This all seems to me to be an argument in favor of avoiding the snub-nosed .327 in favor of a snub-nosed .38. Shootability. Or, alternatively, if retaining the 6-round capacity is important, as it very well may be, downloading the .327 with .32 H&R Mags. But that sort of changes the whole nature of our ballistics discussion. At what point does compromise go too far?

Again, you and others have mentioned that everyone should have the option of carrying whatever you choose. Fine, I get that and completely agree with it, but I would just suggest that some alternatives will be more practical, more effective and ultimately safer than others.

Frankly, I don't think any of us would prefer to have an untrained, small-bodied female shooting at bad guys in our vicinity with a snubby .327 in lieu of the same snubby in .38. Unless well trained she's going to have a heckuva tough time controlling it and stopping the threat.

With that, I'll leave turn the discussion back over to you guys. Thanks for listening. Carry on.
Old May 22, 2013, 05:13 PM   #914
Cesure

She actually picks her own guns. I'm just a consultant. She told me she wanted a carry gun. She wanted it to be smaller and lighter than her model 60, but she didn't want more recoil. She likes revolvers and wanted a snubby. On the advice of a friend, I was looking for a six-shot .32 H&R Mag for her to consider (and not finding one), knowing it would also shoot the .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long, when I read about the .327 Fed Mag and the ability of those guns to shoot all those .32 cartridges. So, it really doesn't matter that she doesn't want to practice with the 327 Fed Mag. She likes practicing with the .32 H&R Mag. She also subscribes to the belief that if she was in a hairy situation, adrenalin would likely make her not notice the extra oomph of the .327 Fed Mag. Many people who practice with 38 Specials load more powerful rounds into the same gun for personal defense based on that same reasoning. But I leave the decision of what to shoot up to her. She now has the options to choose from and they all come in one gun.

But I like both Magnums, so this is now a common carry gun. I'll probably reload .327 brass with light charges for practicing and use factory personal defense ammo for CC. She'll probably stick with .32 H&R Mags when she CCs with it, but she'll feel okay about .327s if that's what it has in it, if/when the time comes. If I hadn't found the .327 Fed Mag snubby, she probably would have looked for a 5-shot .32 H&R Mag, like the Charter Arms Undercoverette. That was the fallback that I told her about.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:16 AM   #915
Cesure

Since nobody jumped on the chance to send me a chronograph and a healthy supply of test ammo, I found this Taurus 327 Chrono claim.

Reviewed By: Scott J on 05/26/2012 Rating: 5 of 5 Stars! [5 of 5 Stars!]
A Pocket Powerhouse!..shoots great!.. 6 rounds of better than 38sp in the same size package as a 5 shooter...
115gr Speer gold [email protected] (my chrono testing). also shoots .32 S&W ..and...32 H&R Mags...

Of course, this is just one guy's claim, but I'm pretty sure I can't find any volunteers willing to stand in front of a .311" 115 gr Speer GDHP at 1150 fps.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:39 AM   #916
Billy Shears

115 @ 1150 = 336 ft. lbs. of energy. Definitely better than a .38, but I don't want to be in the same zip code when you touch off one of those. That blast will clear your sinuses out for sure. :-)
Old May 23, 2013, 10:59 AM   #917
Cesure

Quote:
115 @ 1150 = 336 ft. lbs. of energy. Definitely better than a .38, but I don't want to be in the same zip code when you touch off one of those. That blast will clear your sinuses out for sure. :-)
It sounds about like a .357 Mag from a 4" barrel and feels about like a .44 Mag from an 8" barrel. It's not exactly pleasant to shoot with the Taurus factory grips. I'm waiting for a convenient time to throw a Hogue monogrip in with another order.
Old May 27, 2013, 02:57 PM   #918
Colorado Redneck

Chrony results posted a couple years back by me

This data is from an F1 chrony. Not meant to be biblical, but are my results. The 115 gr. Speer Gold Dot is a worthy self defense load IMO.

Chrony Data for 327 Fed and 32 H&R Mag

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally made it to the shooting range! Windy and hot but nice.

So here is some Chrony data from various loadings in 32 caliber, all shot from a Ruger SP101 with 3 1/16"barrel. The chrony was set 12 feet from the bench.

Factory Ammo
Fed 85 gr. Reduced Recoil: 1401 - 1424 fps Very consistent.

Speer Gold Dot 115 gr: 1361 - 1438 fps

Hand Load
100 gr. XTP over 12.2 gr H110 with Rem 7 1/2 primer: 1129 - 1282 fps

100 gr. XTP over 12.7 gr H110 Rem 7 1/2 primer: 1280 - 1352 fps

Also shot some 32 H&R Mag rounds.

Factory Ammo
Fed Premium Self Defense 85 gr: 956 - 1056 fps

Hand Load
85 gr XTP over 4.5 gr. Unique and Rem 1 1/2: 1008 - 1054 fps (Most accurate round for me today)

100 gr. XTP over 10.5 gr Lil Gun and Rem 1 1/2: 1085 - 1159 fps (This round was second most accurate)

Fun day. The little Ruger is fun to shoot, and the recoil is minimal. The 32 Fed Mag rounds bark fairly loud, but compared to 44 mag or 357 it is pretty quiet. I can see lots of this in the future.

I shot some other loads, but damned if I didn't hit one of the shade rods shooting offhand with my model 60. Looked for a few minutes in the weeds and grass but couldn't find the one rod. Didn't tear up the chorny but without the shade it quit registering velocity, so things weren't as interesting.
Old May 27, 2013, 03:01 PM   #919
Billy Shears

Quote:
100 gr. XTP over 12.2 gr H110 with Rem 7 1/2 primer: 1129 - 1282 fps

Perfect timing. Was just sitting here looking for a good load to use up a box of 100 grain XTPs and bottle of H-110 I've had sitting around here for a while.

Now I have a good excuse not to clean the garage this afternoon. Time to get back to the reloading bench.

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2013, 03:04 PM   #920
Low Friction

Check out this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454312

Good collection of 327 hand load results.
Old May 28, 2013, 09:59 PM   #921
tjh

Sent an e-mail to Henery Arms asking them to chamber thier fine lever action in 327 fed. / 32 hr mag . need more of you 327 lovers to do the same . go to thier web site an e-mail the president of Henry with your request for a 327 levergun .
Old May 29, 2013, 11:24 PM   #922
gak

Some of the most learned discussion here I've seen on TFL--thirty-some pages of it - must be some kind of record? Keep in coming folks!
Old May 30, 2013, 09:34 PM   #923
Creek Henry

In order to put my father's old 7.65 Argentine Mauser back in to service I got a chamber insert for it in 32H&R and I reloaded some rounds with 95gr pills that more than duplicate the 32mag's performance (from a 26" barrel though). That round is a thumper. To say it isn't effective is just plain wrong. But, its potential is being limited by it being loaded into mostly short barreled guns.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:08 PM   #924
jimbob86

Quote:
I don't think a perp getting 6 327 fed's in the chest is going to feel any different if they were launched from a 2 inch snubby or a longer barreled Ruger
With the muzzle blast/flash of the .327 out of a snubby, he's more likely to have his clothing catch fire with the shorter barrel than the longer one ......

....Colorado Redneck is using H110 for his handloads- I've seen the two foot flame my 6" barrelled .357 makes with H110 loads ...... FLAME ON!

"Your Honor, I aks'd th' Defendant for some spare change, and he shot me six times and SET ME AFIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111!"

;/
Old May 30, 2013, 10:47 PM   #925
Billy Shears

Two foot flames!

Hmmm, tell me more about the fire breathing properties of H110. I have 500 Hornady 100 grain XTPs, a big pile of fully prepped brass and a pound of H110. And I have the whole weekend dedicated to assembling them all together, but I've never used this powder before. This sounds like it will be interesting.