The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 7, 2010, 10:08 AM   #1
pinkerpv

Savage model 24 V-A rechamber

I have a Model 24 V-A in 20 Ga/ 222 Rem. I want to rechamber it to 556/223 to be able to shoot more common ammo with my ARs. I have read some on the Savage 24 forum about the bbl twist rates being the same and also being different. I would welcome advice on rechambering from 222 Rem to 556/223 and the affect of the twist rate.
Old December 8, 2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

My only .222 has a 14" twist, which is pretty standard for that round. This table says specifically that your 24-V has a 14" twist. Mine shoots the 53 grain flat base Sierra MatchKing well, but not the 55 grain boattail MatchKings, which are too long for that twist rate and open the groups up from 3/8" to 1 inch at 100 yards. That same sort of length and weight limitation will apply to you if you ream the chamber for .223 or get the NATO chamber or the Wylde chamber (that shoots either one reasonably well). You will be able to shoot surplus ammo with 55 grain bullets, but the 62 grain and any heavier bullets will not play nicely, though you may still hit things with them at shorter range. For handloading a 40 grain Hornady V-max or a 50 grain spire point or the flat base 53 grain match bullet I mentioned will be fine, but this will never be a gun for the longer, higher ballistic coefficient bullets needed for long range. Since the 24-V also exists a .223 version, I see no reason the conversion can't work.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 11, 2010, 02:52 PM   #3
pinkerpv

unclenick; Thanks for your response. I am still thinking about this and have located a gunsmith that does re-chambering and have a price quote. I am not too concerned about long range shooting but would like reasonable accuracy at 200 m or so. 300m would be nice. Not going to prairie dog hunt with it, but would like to have it when squirrel hunting during deer season. Also I think this would make a good survival gun. I have the reloading equipment, but have not really gotten into it yet. But I am thinking about using this gun with the more common available 55 gr 556 ammo. Wasn't thinking about the 62 gr or even heavier 556 bullets but will try them of course if I go thru with this. I will remember the info on bullet wts.