The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 23, 2008, 09:44 PM   #1
Sigma 40 Blaster

Rangemaster Training

All,

If you have taken any of the combative pistol courses from Rangemaster please share your experiences. I will be taking one late next month, I have the course description and have spoke to a few guys who were pleased. I guess I'm just looking for some more validation that my money was well spent (this is my first training other than for my CHL, if that even counts). I feel good about it...just getting close so my nerves are acting up.

Thanks for any constructive feedback.
Old April 25, 2008, 07:53 AM   #2
David Blinder

If interested in practical, relevant instruction from one of the finest instructors in the country, you won't regret it. If looking for someone to make you feel warm & fuzzy, find another way to spend your time and $$.
Old April 25, 2008, 11:58 AM   #3
aroundlsu

The Dynamic Marksmanship class improved my skill and confidence immeasurably. Tom Givens will tell you how it is. He told our entire class we sucked (nobody passed the opening course). He told me point blank my HK P7 was not a good pistol to carry. Then did what it took to get us up to par. One guy dropped out. Several got yelled at drill instructor-style for not following directions (not me!). After three days we all passed the same course with high 90% scores.

I still carry the P7, though.
Old April 25, 2008, 12:18 PM   #4
David Armstrong

Rangemaster has a good reputation for instructors and instruction, and a very nice facility. Sounds like a good choice!
Old April 25, 2008, 11:59 PM   #5
Sigma 40 Blaster

Yeah, I have heard that Tom doesn't exactly pass out milk and cookies. I'm just getting the "should I have done that" bug. Just like when I bought my last vehicle, last gun, or lately my newest computer. I have no doubt that I will be a better shooter in a month.
Old April 26, 2008, 04:09 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

Tom is highly recommended by me. Gave me a great tip no one else did. He run an intense and polite ship. If one gets some stern instuctive comments, they will benefit you.
Old April 26, 2008, 07:34 PM   #7
Tim Burke

I've trained with Tom Givens at Rangemaster repeatedly; my most recent class with him was last April. I recommend him highly. I've also trained at Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, the Rogers school and with Louis Awerbuck, Randy Cain, Bill Jeans, InSights, Scotty Reitz, John Farnam, LFI & others, in most cases with multiple classes, so I have a good basis for comparison.
Old April 26, 2008, 08:38 PM   #8
dawg23

You will not regret taking any of Tom's courses. You ill find his lectures to be informative, interesting and (at times) humorous.

You will find him to be very intense during the live-fire portions of the class. I consider this to be a good thing.

I have seen a couple of complete newbies (total prior experience less than 200 rounds) make incredible leaps in ability during Tom's two-day Combative Pistol course.