The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 10, 1999, 04:20 PM   #1
DblTap

Bought it about six years ago and have loaded more than 60,000 rounds (lost track, really!) but over the years the powder accumulation and humidity in the basement finally took it's toll, stopping the press in it's tracks. Shipped it back to Scottsdale nine days ago and have it back today!

Included a list of what I would have _liked_ them to do and it was met and exceeded! I have not looked in detail (just peeked inside the box) but it appears that the only thing that is the same is the basic frame structure. New shellplate base, new powder thrower, new spent primer catcher, new low powder warning system and something called an upgrade kit. Cool!

Man, am I glad I listened to everybody's advice. Big Blue all the way. They even picked up the return shipping charges. Total cost to me was $45 for insured delivery.

Thank you Mike Dillon. Now all I have to do is set it back up beside it's brother 650.

DblTap

------------------
"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"

Old November 10, 1999, 05:31 PM   #2
John Lawson

I had very bad experiences with the Dillon 650 and earlier, a Dillon 450. I was able to solve the problems to my satisfaction by getting a Dillon 1050 and two 550's. I have loved this trio and would not know how to get by without them. The 1050 is dedicated permanently to .45 ACP and I have nine extra caliber changes complete ready to install in seconds for the 550's.
I like the 550 presses better than 650 because they will load virtually anything without messing around. Changes go lightening fast. The 1050 just keeps cranking them out year after year.
I also have a Hornady Pro Jector, on which I load 30-06, a 1950 Star for .38 and .357 and a 3 station Pacific Super Mag for case forming. I would rather shoot than reload, obviously.
Can you say "very slight overkill?" Sometimes, when I sit sipping my coffee, listening to the stereo and just admiring my loading setup I feel like Phil Sharpe! (Well, maybe not quite that nasty.)
Old November 10, 1999, 07:23 PM   #3
TheOtherMikey

Whats all the big hullaballu about? After all, you bought a DILLON didn't you. I live here in Phoenix and have watched people carry a 550B or 650 into the front sales room and say "it's broke" and they take it in the back and fix it....no charge.

Dillon is what many companies wish they were and try to fool people into thinking they are!!

------------------
When Guns Are Outlawed, I Will Be Another One Of The Quarter Million Violators Who Are Not Prosecuted