The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 14, 2006, 01:58 PM   #1
Wild Bill Bucks

Some guys always get the best women

Dale and Phyliss, are freinds of mine that I don't get to see very often. We visited yesterday and I was told this story, and thought you guys would get a kick out of it.
Phyliss is one of those gals that bow hunts, powder hunts, and rifle hunts, and EVERY year for the last 7 years she always shoots a bigger buck than Dale does.
This fall Phyliss had to work during deer season and was unable to go hunting, so Dale went with out her. She was crushed because she couldn't go.
On the last day of gun season Phyliss came home to see Dale skinning a 6 point buck in the front yard. Dale immediatley started rubbing it in that the only way he could kill a bigger buck than her was to keep her from going.
She never said a word to him or even looked up and just kept walking to the house.
Dale thought she was mad and went back to skinning his deer. All of a sudden Phyliss's .06 went off and liked to made Dale jump out of his skin.
When he turned around Phyliss had shot a 12 point Buck not 50 yards from Dale in their front yard, off their front porch.
Talk about eating CROW. Dale said he was never going to say anything about her hunting again.
Old March 16, 2006, 09:26 AM   #2
dallasconundrum

12 points in the front yard? Do they take boarders?
I had something similar happen to me. I was 12 or 13 years old and had bagged my first deer early in that season. I had made a pretty good shot on it and Dad had got to hear about it a lot, even though he had been sitting right next to me. Well, my uncle was up from Florida and staying with us, he woke me up one morning telling me that there were "deer in the backyard". So I ran out there and the backyard turned out to be across the lake on hill. About 250 yards. We had just moved to that house, and you know how it goes, I couldn't find my magazine for my .243. BUT, I did find dad's old Ruger .44 mag autoloader, which I had shot on maybe two occasions before. Now, again, this was when I was pretty young and didn't know a lot about ballistics and "drop" outside of my little .243. So, I picked out a six point and ended up getting off about six shots before he finally realized that, yes I was shooting at him. So he trotted on off, I guess he knew he was in no real danger. I think that was the first time my uncle ever heard me cuss. When dad got home, the incident got relayed to him and they both got a good laugh out of me. My only defense was that if he hadn't "hid" my .243 magazine from me I would've got him. Well, that Saturday, I awoke to a massive boom. Nothing like a .30-06 going off about 30 feet away from you at 7:00 in the morning. Dad had been "too tired" to go hunting that morning, so instead he was sitting out on the back deck reading the paper, when he spotted my six-point. Maybe he was too tired, or maybe he wanted to get the six-point before I could get a legitimate crack at it so he could shut me up about earlier in the season.
Old March 20, 2006, 11:41 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

hee hee, good story.
Old March 20, 2006, 12:18 PM   #4
Foxman

Nearest I ever got to that sort of thing was on a fishing trip.we had been fishing since sunup and not much happening, I got a bit tired and sat down for a rest leaving the bait in the water and the rod on the ground, whilst my buddies carrried on. They came back around midday and woke me up saying it was time for some eats( good timing for me!). So I picked up the rod and started to wind in, what the!!! thers something on the end here I says. To shorten a long story I had a nice 4 1/2# trout on the bank in a few minutes, they had caught nothing and I was just nicely in time for chow!! good fishing trip eh.
Old March 20, 2006, 03:03 PM   #5
Scorch

Had a friend who took his wife on an antelope hunt once. She had never been hunting, but had participated in target shooting and was quite good. The second day out, she takes a shot at a running buck with a 270 at about 350 yds. As she starts aiming, he says something to the effect of "fat chance you'll ever hit that one". She put one right in the chest at a dead run. He went on and on about luck and all. A few days later she shot her deer at about the same distance. One shot one kill.
He gutshot his antelope then had to chase it for about 5-6 hours to finish it, and missed his deer 3 out of 4 shots. To make it worse, hers were bigger. She had her bucks mounted just to remind him of all that. And any time he started blowing steam about being the greatest shot since Annie Oakley, she would tell about the hunt.
Old March 20, 2006, 03:07 PM   #6
Wild Bill Bucks

DON'T YA JUST HATE THAT !
My wife shames me with my own pistols every time I take her to the range. When she knows I'm taking my pistols, I can't keep her out of the truck. Whatchagonnado!
Old March 20, 2006, 03:11 PM   #7
Scorch

Guess you'll just have to buy her some of her own!
Old March 20, 2006, 04:13 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

Yeah, and bend the barrels a bit before you give them, then reseal the box! It's us against them for the upper hand, fellas.
Old March 20, 2006, 07:03 PM   #9
PATH

That is why my wife does not hunt with me. The fellows would rib me something awful if she showed me up.

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old March 20, 2006, 10:54 PM   #10
impact

WBD I would love to have a wife like that. Good story!
Old March 21, 2006, 10:30 PM   #11
Fat White Boy

I have mixed emotions. My wife won't go anywhere there isn't a mall and a 4 star hotel so I have to go on vacation alone.