The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2002, 03:19 PM   #1
Ed Dixon

Lock out die?

What is a lock out die?
Old November 9, 2002, 03:29 PM   #2
uglymofo

RCBS makes the only one I've heard of. It has a probe that senses when a pistol case is short the minimum powder charge (which you set yourself). I. E., if I measure 5.4 grains of WW 231 for a 45ACP case, and set the lockout die for that charge, if the powder measure fails to drop at least 5.4 grains, the lockout die will sense the light load and stop the press from cycling a full stroke. That's the indicator that something has to be checked.

In my experience, it is not adjustable to measure rifle loads. The probe won't back out high enough.
Old November 10, 2002, 12:48 PM   #3
griz

Does it actually stop the ram or does it stop you from advancing the shell plate?
Old November 10, 2002, 02:10 PM   #4
uglymofo

It stops the ram.
Old November 10, 2002, 03:01 PM   #5
griz

I should have made my question more clear. How does it stop the ram? The way I'm picturing it, you would be stuck with the ram all the way up and no good way to fix the problem. I'm sure it works better than that.

Thanks for the reply.
Old November 10, 2002, 08:22 PM   #6
NG Bruce

Griz,

I use the RCBS Lock Out die on my PRO2000 and it does work just as advertised. The die is set to physically touch the right amount of powder; i.e., I use 11.5 grains of 2400 in my .357 mag load. When you begin setting up the die load the first case (and weigh it on a scale to verify the load is right) then put the powder back in the case and set it back in the shellplate. Turn the "foot" (the bottom of the threaded stud centered in the lock-out die) until it presses on the powder with the press handle in the down position. That will align a ballbearing with a groove inside the die. In that position the die will allow the press handle to work the entire stroke and complete the five steps on the press.

If the powder is too high or too low in the case (overcharge or low charge) it will "lock-up" the press and not let you lower the handle (to complete the cycle). You can lift the handle back up and examine the case - but you cannot complete the step and advance an improperly charged case. I experimented with my die when I set it up; I could undercharge or overcharge with 2400 by 1/2 grain before the "lock-out" engaged. I use a powder charge that is not with-in 1/2 grain of maximum so that tolerance was okay for me. My experimenting revealed that you have about three screw turns up or down on the stud in the die before you lock up the press. I set the die in the "middle" of the three turns by experimentation

I hope this is clearer than mud, but it is hard to explain in writing. Mechanically the die stops the ram by having the ball bearing in the die NOT aligned with the groove, thus the stud cannot move up and the press handle is "locked"

NG Bruce
Old November 12, 2002, 05:58 PM   #7
griz

Thanks, I think I get it now.