The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 30, 2015, 06:00 AM   #26
shaunpain

Does your ejector look okay? I would replace all springs, especially your recoil spring. Very curious, indeed.
Old August 30, 2015, 06:02 PM   #27
dave421

By any chance do you drop a round into the chamber and then let the slide close on it? If so, you could have a chipped extractor which would leave the spent brass in the chamber.
Old August 30, 2015, 07:32 PM   #28
Sharkbite

Quote:
By any chance do you drop a round into the chamber and then let the slide close on it? If so, you could have a chipped extractor which would leave the spent brass in the chamber.
But it would have also allowed the slide to move fully to the rear causing a feedway stoppage. That did not happen. The slide either stayed closed on the fired brass or did not move far enough to the rear to pick up a new round from the mag.
Old August 30, 2015, 08:11 PM   #29
smee78

It sounds like a weak recoil spring, its a cheap fix and worth your life. Get out to the range and pony up the dollars for a box of factory ammo and test your gun. Being a cheap azz will get you killed. It sounds like your gun fired and did not cycle back far enough to expell the spent round and pick up the new round from the mag. All matters point to a short cycle.
Old August 30, 2015, 08:22 PM   #30
TunnelRat

Strange glock malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee78 View Post
It sounds like a weak recoil spring, its a cheap fix and worth your life. Get out to the range and pony up the dollars for a box of factory ammo and test your gun. Being a cheap azz will get you killed. It sounds like your gun fired and did not cycle back far enough to expell the spent round and pick up the new round from the mag. All matters point to a short cycle.

A weak recoil spring would not stop the slide from cycling far enough back. It would cause the pistol to beat itself up and maybe cycle so quickly that it causes a malfunction, but the slide would cycle fully rearward.

Edit: actually it would cycle rearward faster than normal but then return forward slower than normal.

Last edited by TunnelRat; August 30, 2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old September 2, 2015, 02:43 PM   #31
Polinese

All the parts look ok as far as I can tell. I ordered some ammo and being from the Empire of New York had to send it to my dealer because we're safer that way.

I go to the range in a couple weeks too so hopefully it was a weird fluke... One more reason for me to think officer's should carry what they're comfortable with not whatever is cheapest and "works".
Old September 2, 2015, 03:50 PM   #32
Sharkbite

So, you are going to work for a " couple of weeks " with a gun you dont know functions???

Man, thats just insane. Go to a public range if you have too. Pony up the cash anf function test that pistol. Whats your life worth???
Old September 2, 2015, 04:06 PM   #33
skizzums

surely if he had the option to grab some .45GAP local in New York, he wouldn't have ordered it in the first place just for a test.

surprising you couldn't at least get a few rounds(at least one) to pop off somewhere real quick. make sure you offer to dispatch the next piece of roadkill
Old September 2, 2015, 05:55 PM   #34
Walt Sherrill

Was this about a DUTY gun? If so, does the agency have an armorer. (If the agency uses Glocks, I'm sure the Armorer could be persuaded to quickly check the gun out...)

There's some things going on that just don't make sense... (as least as they've been explained thus far.)

I have a Glock 38. I've had a bunch of Glocks, and liked them all (with the exception of two 35s that I just couldn't shoot well (but others could -- it was obviouisly me, not the gun.) The 38 is my favorite Glock, and it's kept in a small bedside gun safe, for when/if things ever go bump in the night. Best shooting .45 I've owned, and I've owned a bunch.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; September 2, 2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old September 2, 2015, 07:00 PM   #35
stagpanther

Don't discount the possibility something funny may be going on with the headspacing--Ive seen a case left in the chamber due to this reason.
Old September 2, 2015, 09:31 PM   #36
Polinese

My agency is laughably behind the times, the fact that we have radios in our cars is a god send. Equipment issues alone have been enough to make me seriously consider resigning.

My personal gunsmith is a glock armorer and is checking it out.

No there is no local store I could find with any GAP ammo because why the hell would they have it, cartridge shoudlnt' exist in the first place.

Last edited by Polinese; September 2, 2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old September 3, 2015, 02:03 PM   #37
Bart Noir

Quote:
If so, you could have a chipped extractor which would leave the spent brass in the chamber.
The very first Glock I fired (G17), about the Year of Our Lord 1990, was a range gun. While troubleshooting the problems caused by the crappy reload range ammo which they insisted I use in their gun, I got to see the size of the Glock extractor.

It was way bigger than I had seen on other guns, such as the 1911s. And half the "tooth" on that extractor was broken off. That extractor still did its job.

Bart Noir
Old September 3, 2015, 04:53 PM   #38
bamaranger

interesting

Been following this thread closely.

Am curious about the "blocked slide" issue. The OP states that he "had his flashlight in the other hand". Seems like I read he fired one handed. But....if that is not quite what he did, and used some type of two handed light technique, what'd they call it, the "Harris technique", it might have been possible to obstruct the slide with the light.

The .45 GAP!!!!! I didn't know anybody relied on that number as a duty gun, much less an agency gun. They can't make a bunch of that stuff, and I bet not much gets sold. There is likely much old stock...maybe it was indeed a bad round.

Finally, "had to go back to the station" for more ammo "1 RD"!!! Say what? Going in harms's way, for a living, you need to have more ammo/magazines, in your vehicle, accessible, etc, etc, Yeah, the Bureau says your gunfight will last about 3 rounds....but who really knows. You may never shoot, or you may get caught up in a really wild incident. Better to be safe than sorry. In public, in uniform, it makes sense to believe it will happen someday, to you, and prepare accordingly. If I had to buy ammo and mags, with my own money, and swap it in and out of the rig in a bag or box, I'd do that rather than do without.
Old September 3, 2015, 04:59 PM   #39
Polinese

To clarify

It wasn't any two handed grip.

As for the the replacement round. I have my two spares on my belt and 3 more in my sling bag (they flip S*** if we had extras to our belt) Whenever I dispatch a deer I pop the magazine out and put a fresh one in. When I went back to pick up my partner I went to get my replacement round and discovered the magazine that was in the gun at the time of the shot was still full thus leading to the discovery of my spent case.
Old September 3, 2015, 05:42 PM   #40
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger
They can't make a bunch of that stuff, and I bet not much gets sold. There is likely much old stock...maybe it was indeed a bad round.
It's still being made. I buy mine from Georgia Arms and it's about the same price as .45 ACP. (I get both ball and hollow-point from them, but also buy SD ammo from MidwayUSA. Prices there are comparable to other .45 ACP SD rounds.

Some state agencies have also used .45 GAP, but in recent years many seem to be moving back to 9mm -- and away from .40, too. Darned few police agencies of any type issue .45 in any format.
Old September 4, 2015, 07:29 PM   #41
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Am curious about the "blocked slide" issue.
The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that this is the only scenario that makes sense.

I have fired a Glock 10mm while intentionally blocking the slide with my hand and then with my strong-side thumb and was not hurt in either case. But I was doing it intentionally and I definitely felt it both times although I wasn't hurt. It's hard for me to believe that someone could fully block the slide and not notice it, but nothing else really fits with all the facts.
Old September 5, 2015, 01:25 AM   #42
bamaranger

glad

Glad to hear that you have a grip on your ammo situation. I initially believed you might have no mags or spare ammo available to you in your rig. That is my fault for jumping conclusions. I once watched an officer with a revolver and 6 extra rounds, shoot at a crippled animal 9 times. With 3 left in the .38, she had to go back to the office for more ammo!

Am at this point at a loss for any explanation regards your failure to extract.
Old September 5, 2015, 01:46 PM   #43
2450paul

Detail strip and clean

I've been shooting Glocks since 1984. I'm a Glock Armorer. I've encountered more than a few that the carbon fouling built up in the extractor seat of the slide. Some were baked in and had to be cleaned out with a dental pick. Enough buildup will inhibit your extractor function. I hope this helps. Paul
Old September 19, 2015, 07:51 PM   #44
Polinese

UPDATE

Well the ammo came in and I ran it through the gun with no problems.

Went to range to qualify and did another 150 rounds or so with zero problems and one of the armorers tore it down and cleaned it. (We do have armorers but I work for the state so there isn't necessarily one available to me when I need one)

I even tried recreating the malfunction as best I could remember the shot when I was firing it on my own and nothing.

At this point I'm chalking it up to a defective round.
Old September 19, 2015, 08:26 PM   #45
Walt Sherrill

I think it will remain a puzzle

The only things that makes sense to me are:
  1. Something kept the slide closed so that it couldn't cycle,
  2. A marginal round was just powerful enough to put down a badly hurt animal might but powerful enough to cycle the slide part way -- but not far enough to make the fired round hit the ejector or to allow the slide to pick up the next round from the mag.
That second one is your conclusion: defective ammo. The "right" (or "wrong") load might allow that to happen. I've never heard of that happening, but there are a lot of things I've not heard of.

It sounds as though the gun is functioning properly. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old September 19, 2015, 08:48 PM   #46
Polinese

Yeah I'm a little more at ease now... though I'd still prefer a different sidearm haha.

We fired 50 rounds of our duty ammunition and no problems that I noticed. Though maybe I could blame that one round in the 4 ring on a defective round too
Old September 20, 2015, 11:15 PM   #47
drobs

Was the muzzle of the gun touching the deer when you dispatched it?

Weird things happened. If you have something like that happen again go shoot some rapid fire. It will tell you if you have an issue or not.

Could be you inadvertently limp wristed it shooting 1 handed. Who knows.
Old September 21, 2015, 08:58 AM   #48
cougar gt-e

Weird. I would suspect the extractor is gummed up. Just because a gun isn't shot, doesn't keep it from getting dirty. Strip it down totally, inspect for damage, clean and lube, reassemble and run a box. Should be fine.
Old September 21, 2015, 09:57 AM   #49
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Weird. I would suspect the extractor is gummed up. Just because a gun isn't shot, doesn't keep it from getting dirty. Strip it down totally, inspect for damage, clean and lube, reassemble and run a box. Should be fine.
If the extractor were gummed up, the slide should still have cycled, and stripped the next round and tried to feed it. That didn't happen.

About the ONLY thing that makes sense, if the shooter didn't somehow inadvertently keep the slide from moving, is an under-powered round that exited the barre, but didn't have enough force to fully cycle the slide.

Remember: the gun functioned properly later without any real intervention from the shooter.

If it did try to extract, but the slide didn't go back far enough to hit case the spent case to hit the ejector, and then came back forward, it MIGHT have either not fully pulled the case out of the chamber or somehow reinserted the spent case back in the chamber. (Nothing would necessarily cause the case to be pushed out of alignment until the slide goes much farther back.)

That really seems to be dependent on an odd set of conditions, but barring something that blocks slide movement, that seems about the only explanation that fits what happened.