The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Rubber Duck

Education on different loads

Hi to all,
Im new to this forum and recently have gotten interested in shooting, perticularly revolvers of the .38 / .357 and .44 calibur.

My question is, does anyone know of a book I can get that explains the differences in the different loads and types of ammo? I want to start reloading my own for general target shooting and would like more info on how to do that as well. I have several friends that are pretty well versed in this, but I like to have my own source of education as well.

Sorry to sound like a newby, but thats what I am.

Thanks for your time and any help.

The Duck
Old April 9, 2012, 08:24 PM   #2
TheNatureBoy

Welcome aboard :-) A reloading manual would be a good place to start. I personally prefer the one produced by Sierra. Its a good read :-)
Old April 9, 2012, 08:34 PM   #3
rclark

Good book to start with is the ABCs of Reloading :

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading.../dp/0873491904

Then there is the reloading manuals : I like Lyman, then Hornady, and Spear. There are others as well....

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Reloadin...4021635&sr=1-1

Should get you started! Never can have to many manuals either to check loads against.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 10, 2012, 03:44 AM   #4
Rubber Duck

Thanks to both I will give these a read.
Ike
Old April 10, 2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Rubber Duck

Natureboy, Not sure the name of the book you were referring, by Sierra, I was checking out Barnes and Noble, I could not find it.

RCLARK, I did check out the Two you reccomended they look like good solid info. thanks.
Ike
Old April 10, 2012, 09:49 AM   #6
Wyoredman

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...0500&src=tpCtg

Here is a link to the Natchez Catalog with the Sierra Manual. A good book!
Old April 10, 2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Rubber Duck

Wyoredman,
Thanks
Old April 10, 2012, 11:52 AM   #8
NWPilgrim

ABC's of Reloading is a good general purpose reference that covers everything a beginner needs. I especially like the Lyman 49th edition manual for the good photo instructions and more data on cast lead bullet loading than most.

I would also recommend the manual from the manufacturer of your reloading equipment if they publish one: Lyman, Speer (RCBS), Lee, Hornady as they typically illustrate and explain the process using their presses, dies and tools.

One thing manuals sometimes do not highlight very well is there is a big difference between handloading for handguns versus rifle. Most manuals focus on the process for rifle cartridges as that is more complex.

When handloading for a handgun cartridge such as the .357, you can simplify it a lot more. No need really to sort brass by headstamp, or to count how many times you have reloaded it. The lower pressure of handguns generally means the case will fail from work hardening and crack on the case mouth long before it approaches a case head separation.

Handgun case inspection does not have to be super close before you do anything, either. As you handle the cases through the process of cleaning, depriming/sizing, belling, charging, and bullet seating you can also be inspecting the cases. Some case mouth cracks are so small they only become apparent after belling the case mouth or even after seating a bullet. No big deal, pull the bullet, recover the powder and deprime the case before tossing it into your brass recycle can.

The important thing beyond the obvious such as selecting the powder and measuring it accurately for the bullet weight you are using, is complete cartridge inspection for safety. For EVERY cartridge, is the primer fully seated so it is not protruding even a hair? Are you sure the case was charged with the complete measure of powder, not doubled or empty or partial? Is the cartridge overall length (COL, OAL, or COAL) within a few thousands of intended length?

If at any time you have a doubt, or lose track of the status, about a loading process or cartridge, STOP. Take the time to either disassemble the cartridge and redo it, or examine and test the process step until you fully understand what is going on and satisfied it will remain consistent. Never forge ahead hoping for the best.

Handloading handgun cartridges is pretty simple and safe as long as you proceed at your own pace, don't rush it to produce impressive volumes, and always put safety and understanding before anything else. As you learn more you can create your own best process process for the tools you are using and bench set up that you have and produce cartridges more efficiently. But that has to be built on a solid foundation of understanding and safety.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old April 10, 2012, 09:25 PM   #9
Rubber Duck

NWPilgrim +1 Thanks
Ike
Old April 16, 2012, 06:49 AM   #10
Rubber Duck

Ok, so I want to get this book, but there are several versions by 3 different authors. cant afford all of them, anyone know the most infomative?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?stor...S+OF+RELOADING

Ike

Last edited by Rubber Duck; April 16, 2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old April 16, 2012, 05:13 PM   #11
NWPilgrim

I have the 8th edition by Chevalier:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/abcs...=9780896896093
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old April 16, 2012, 06:07 PM   #12
LakeCruiser

8th edition by Bill Chevalier

I have this one. It was my first and set up a good basis of knowledge to start with. Then went to the Lee book...then the Lyman. All three have helped me.
Old April 16, 2012, 08:12 PM   #13
Rubber Duck

Thanks Man.
Ike
Old April 17, 2012, 03:57 PM   #14
g.willikers

After you are comfortable with the general aspects of reloading, do web searches for info specific to the calibers you want to load.
Some of the web sites go much further into the specifics for a given caliber than the reloading books.
You will easily wind up with lots of good info.
Just a thought.
Old April 17, 2012, 06:53 PM   #15
Rubber Duck

Thanks G. Willikers, I will be Loading .38, .357 and 9 mil. I am going to buy the book "Reloading for Handgunners" by James Sweeny, I started to read it online, and it seems pretty easy to understand. Thanks again for the advice.

Ike

If you got it, a truck brought it.
Old April 17, 2012, 07:04 PM   #16
m&p45acp10+1

Another novice friendly book is Lyman 49th if you are interested in later possibly reloading for rifle. If just starting with hand guns then the Lyman Pistol & Revolver 3rd Edition will run around $15 or so in paper back. It was my first reloading purchase. I still have it, and use it. Great info in it.
Old April 17, 2012, 10:34 PM   #17
jimkim

Just in case you don't mind getting the 7th edition, here's a link.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
Old April 17, 2012, 10:59 PM   #18
Misssissippi Dave

When you do get around to loading your own, I suggest you start with .38 specials. They are more forgiving and are low pressure too. Then move up to .357 Mags. 9 mm is a high pressure round and it is preferred to have the basics down first, when possible, prior to loading these.

There is a lot of good suggestions in the above posts. Start with one book and plan to get more when you can. You will never have too many. On line information from the manufactures is free and can be very helpful too.
Old April 17, 2012, 11:54 PM   #19
mrawesome22

Looks like 9th edition is the new one.

No clue why 8th is so much $

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
Old April 18, 2012, 11:24 AM   #20
Rubber Duck

Thanks Dave and MR, I appreciate all the info. And yes, I plan on starting with .38 loads.
Ike
Old April 18, 2012, 11:49 AM   #21
WIL TERRY

The very latest edition of " CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD " will perform splendidly for the rest of your natural born life.
Old April 19, 2012, 06:57 PM   #22
Rubber Duck

Thanks Wil, But just ordered "The ABC's of reloading" 9th edition by Rodney James, and I also ordered "Reloading for Handgunners " by Patrick Sweeny.

I previewed both and they looked very informative, some of the same info, but also different enough to give me a greater understanding and better education on reloading I think.

I wanna thank everyone that provided a response for thier help.

Ike
Old April 19, 2012, 07:02 PM   #23
Sarge

'Metallic Cartridge Reloading' is another worthwhile addition to any reloaders library. I've got a tattered old copy that gets used as much as any firearms reference book on my shelves.
Old April 19, 2012, 07:48 PM   #24
Rubber Duck

I will google it and see where I can find it. a few of the books mentioned I could not find.

Ike