The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 4, 2015, 06:35 AM   #1
Tony Z

President's speech after Oregon

Did the President's latest gun speech, with his typical rhetoric, cause anyone to go out and purchase a firearm? I've been buying a Smith and Wesson M&P15-22 forever, and decided to "pull the trigger" this past Friday, before prices are affected. Just got an email from one of my employees that did the same thing-but a Mossberg.

First AR styled gun I own, and probably would not have picked it up, but I decided to before we head into another period of uncertainty while one politician attacks the 2nd amendment and another defends it. I doubt anything will happen, but I figure the purchase is my vote to the gun industry to stay in the business.
Old October 4, 2015, 07:40 AM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
decided to "pull the trigger" this past Friday, before prices are affected.
Prices won't go up unless there's a shortage.

The post-Newtown panic was something of a black swan situation. It came out of nowhere, and the industry couldn't meet the sudden spike in demand. That led to hoarding, which raised prices on the secondary market.

Two factors make me suspect we won't see a repeat of that.

The first is that the market is simply saturated. Most gun owners only own one or two guns. If they bought an AR-15 during the 2013 mess, they won't feel compelled to buy another just because politicians are rambling about gun control.

The second factor is resentment and wariness. Many dealers lost face for predatory pricing. Many lost credibility for making outlandish claims to push up demand. Then everything levelled out and went back to normal. The market knows that now, and they're less likely to make impulsive decisions.

The worst thing I see right now are holes in ammunition availability, but those are minor for the most part.
Old October 4, 2015, 09:33 AM   #3
bumnote

I don't think anything is going to happen. I'm in the news industry and live in the DC area, and I haven't seen this event as having anything near the shock of Newtown and most politicos in DC have turned a deaf ear to Obama. He's a lame duck and very unpopular, even within his own party.

It's crossed by mind to stock up on some reloading supplies, but I just can't see a repeat of past shortages or another panic buying spree coming.
Old October 4, 2015, 09:42 AM   #4
Tony Z

I don't have a fear, but more of an apprehension of a "presidential executive action". This person has repeatedly out maneuvered the other party at every turn in the road. But I also think an executive gun action will put the other party in the white house.

In the meanwhile, we may again have a state of turmoil in our hobby.
Old October 4, 2015, 09:46 AM   #5
kraigwy

President's speech aside, I do see reaction to such shootings including the one in Roseburg Or.

I conduct women's Firearm Safety and Self Defense Classes and after each such incident I get more calls.

This one is no different, I'm getting calls, more women wanting to learn to shoot.

I do a two hour class once a week from Nov to May, If this keeps up I'm going to have to conduct two weekly classes to keep my class size reasonable.

I'm not in the gun business so I can comment on possible sales increase.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 4, 2015, 09:46 AM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I don't have a fear, but more of an apprehension of a "presidential executive action"
The President has done all he can within the proscribed limits of executive power. It's not much. He does not have the authority to create legislation, so any "executive action" he might have in mind would be minor and ineffectual at best.

("Executive Action" sounds like a goofy buddy cop show set in Wall Street.)
Old October 4, 2015, 10:13 AM   #7
rickyrick

I see that this shooting will fade quickly, as facts don't exactly fit the agenda.

It's a rather strange set of coincidences though as I slide of topic.

The hero from the French train was from roseburg and was set to attend that school but his participation in dancing with the stars postponed that.

The sheriff involved wrote Biden in reference to gun control and also was also against Oregon's new UBC law.

A non-elected governor hell-bent on making a mark and is up for election.

I see this as a tool for oregon to slip further down the path of gun control. There's a large population that is begging for it. The state will be like California, or worse when it's all done. At least that's the desired outcome.

The trend in this country has been to either be on a path of tighter restrictions and some states have been relaxing them.... Oregon is on the path of restrictions. Washington will follow, then the west coast will be sealed up.
Old October 4, 2015, 12:39 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Nothing this President (or any President) has ever said caused me to buy anything.

There have been times when I was glad I bought something that I already planned to buy, WHEN I did. And times I regret not making a purchase before other people's panic and gullibility drove prices up, but nothing from the Pres's lips drives me to buy or not buy something.

Maybe I'm a bit funny, that way...
Old October 4, 2015, 01:24 PM   #9
dakota.potts

This shooting does not have the staying power that Sandy Hook or Aurora did. Shooter killed himself when met with armed resistance. Legally purchased all firearms through Federal background checks, in a state where universal background checks are mandatory. He chose victims based on how they answered the question of their faith. Overall, it's a different image than the one conjured up by one shooter in a room full of kindergarten students. The political climate is different also this time around.

The president couldn't really do much impactful through Executive Action. I'm more worried about the ATF, who continue to define once un-restricted items as restricted based on their liking and what's convenient for them at the time. They unfortunately do have some power to do so.
Old October 4, 2015, 02:03 PM   #10
DaleA

The 'Executive Actions' and 'interpretations' by unelected government agencies drive me nuts.

I want my ELECTED representative in Congress to stand up and say that THEY are the ones that make the laws in this country and then take responsibility for the way they vote.

I'm afraid the Congress folk are more than happy to let someone else make these decisions so they don't have to take the blame for them.
Old October 4, 2015, 06:54 PM   #11
leadcounsel

When the POTUS surrenders his armed security protecting him and his, I will listen.
Old October 4, 2015, 07:59 PM   #12
Right on the mark!

I picked up four Butler creek 25 round mags for the Ruger 10/22 right after the Newtown shooting. The next day they were completely sold out. In anticipation of an uncertain election I am picking up five more "normal capacity" Glock mags.
Old October 5, 2015, 12:21 PM   #13
Skans

No. Not this time. Not even any ammo.
Old October 6, 2015, 08:39 PM   #14
22-rimfire

Nothing is likely to happen other than some political talk. Hillary is talking about it, but I think she just wants to get more news coverage.
Old October 8, 2015, 11:16 PM   #15
bbqbob51

I'm not worried about what the President will do because so far he has actually done next to nothing about gun control. He really cannot realistically do much anyway other than try to use the bully pulpit. I don't even think it has really been that much of a priority to him, he is just playing to the anti-gun portion of his party. Besides, he's not going to be in office all that much longer.
What I worry about is the people out there doing what they've been doing since Obama's election and re-election, believe all the bat crap crazy conspiracy theories. Like sheep they run out and buy everything in sight, cause shortages and drive prices up. How many of you bought every 30 round PMag you could find for $40 apiece? How did that work out for ya? I picked one up last weekend in Cabela's for $13, they're not worth much more than that. The government didn't go into stores and confiscate Magazines, ammo and guns, scared gun people took care of that for us. Them, not Obama kept me from purchasing the guns and ammo I wanted.
One of the craziest things someone told me was they bought all the 22lr they did because they were worried about a 10% government imposed tax on ammunition. The actually paid over $40 per brick for much of what they hoarded. The same ammunition that could have been purchased for $18 on sale a few months before. Even if there was a 10% tax on an $18 box of ammo, it doesn't add up to $40, at least that's what my calculator tells me!
We do need to remain vigilant but also need to take a chill pill and not worry so much.
Old October 8, 2015, 11:27 PM   #16
rickyrick

People have 55gallon drums of ammo buried in their back yards.
Hoarding is the way of those that can afford to do so.
Old October 9, 2015, 05:09 AM   #17
Tony Z

I do not trust any politician. Each tragic shooting brings new waves of gun control talk and each wave seems to wash in more from each party talking. Yes I worry about executive actions, but in the sense of the back door directions some of these actions sometimes seem to take (don't ignore actions some of the credit card companies and banks took, aimed at financing for the industry).

I'm not a hoarder, but I've always kept somewhere between 3 and 10,000 rounds of .22 ammo on hand (I have my own private one-lane indoor range). Panic? No, but be aware of all politicians as they do and say anything to get elected and preserve their golden ring once in office.
Old October 9, 2015, 09:49 PM   #18
Targa

I think its already rearing its ugly head here in Colorado. We stabilized on .22lr for a while and now the shelves are a bit more sparse and the prices are a bit higher. Gun counters at Cabelas, Bass Pro, LGS's are crammed with people buying firearms and bulk ammo and I overheard a few conversations of potential buyers that had no idea what they were doing or what they were buying. Yep, I think its coming around again.
Old October 10, 2015, 03:35 AM   #19
A pause for the COZ

I posted this on Yahoo on one of the many stories about this event.
I posted as a question wanting help to decide. So far I have gotten quite a few responses from Liberals.
None of them helpful, they seem very much incapable of looking at the problem objectively. Oh they have called me some pretty interesting things.
None I will repeat here. There were a few who offered to help me with my Grammar, but no other useful insights were offered.

Quote:
I am trying to decide what side of this issue I fall. 1st though, There are a couple questions that I need answers too.
At 1st blush and reacting completely emotionally. I can sympathize with the people who feel we need tougher gun laws. After all it makes sense that a person who is intent on mass murder with a fire arm cannot do it if he does not have it.
Seems simple enough.
Except when I look at what they are asking for and then think about the probable out comes of those changes would be. I see no correlation between the two.
Nothing that is proposed would give the stated results. So why do it? Seems like wasted effort to me.
Spend months and months fighting for something that has already been shown to have very limited and more likely no impact.
Then I have heard. “ Well if it stops just one mass killing its worth it” Really????
Well if as stated your goal is to impact violence and mass shootings. Wouldn’t we want to be more effective than that?
My 1st question: If as I have been told. 80% of all violent crime is committed by a whopping 10% of the criminals.
Why are we not focusing on impacting that 10%? Seems to me it would be a better use of our time and energy to act on something that would in fact have an impact on the numbers. I understand it would not be easy work. But the outcome would be very beneficial. I think.

My 2nd question: Why is mental health being glossed over? It seems to play a very prominent role in a vast majority of cases. Not just mass shooting ether.
Just yesterday I read a story about a 10 year old girl being raped in and apt building. The person who committed the act was very well known to the police. And also very well known to the mental health system.
From what I have read. It seems that when a person had a mental issue and they are picked up by Law enforcement. They are treated, at least until they become stable. Once stable they are released. They then become unstable again and eventually come in contact with law enforcement again. Rinse and repeat until they do something bad enough to be incarcerated for an extended period.

Seems to me that these two issues are the prime feeders of the problems we have. If we want to actually have an impact on the problem this is where our energy’s should be spent.
Especially before we should risk the consequences that would impact our national freedoms should the 2nd amendment loose its influence on the powerful who wish to subvert it?