The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 30, 2013, 01:21 PM   #26
Laz

Not too long ago, I bought a new 75th anniversary Hi Power for approx $920 plus tax. Just the other day I saw a new BHP Mk III In the same store for approx $970. If your benchmark is $1000, personally I wouldn't let a few bucks stop me from considering a Hi Power.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old March 30, 2013, 01:35 PM   #27
manta49

As for the Hi power i could have bought one but think the CZ 75 is a better pistol. People talk about the trigger in the CZ in my experience the trigger is much worse in the Hi power remember they are both service pistols not target pistols. PS Why pay extra for a Hi power.

Last edited by manta49; March 30, 2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old March 30, 2013, 03:58 PM   #28
hammie

I'm going to go outside the box. If you like the 1911 platform and want a 9mm caliber, then consider a 1911 chambered for .38 super. The .38 super has better reliability and performance than the 9x19 in that platform. If tradition is an issue, then the .38 super was the original cartridge for the earlier models of the 1911. (well, it was the .38 ACP which is nothing more than the .38 super loaded to lower chamber pressures.)

If you really want a 9x19, then go with the hi-power. It was john browning's last design and you would still be traditional.
Old March 31, 2013, 06:41 PM   #29
coop2564

If you think only a 1911 should be 45 you are missing one of the best smoothest shooting 9mm's on market. I have the RIA 1911 in 9mm and it is so nice to shoot.
Old April 1, 2013, 02:16 PM   #30

davidsoc, this may be the pistol you're looking for:http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/CZ75ShadowSAO/ SAO and it's tuned to have a pull of 3.5 - 3.8#. The SA CZs have the same grip frame and feel of the 75 B. The least expensive option would be to buy a 75 B SA and send it to the custom shop for a trigger job. There are pistolsmiths over at CZ Forum that can help as well. The CZ 85 Combat would be a good option also if you just want to disregard the DA aspect. The 85 Combat doesn't have the firing pin safety of the 75 B and stock triggers are better. I've owned CZs and Hi-Powers and there's no doubt that the Hi-Power is a classic, but for the same money or less, you can get a CZ with a trigger tuned to your liking and my preference would be the CZ.
Old April 1, 2013, 11:13 PM   #31
davidsoc

thanks for all the suggestions and 57k that shadow looks sweet but a little pricey for me right now

ive been looking at the whole line up and looking into converting to SAO and decided on the 75 compact and converting it to SAO

im pretty sure i'll end up with a full size 75 in SAO later in life though haha
Old April 4, 2013, 09:11 PM   #32
Kleab

I picked up a CZ 75BD Police a couple weeks ago and have put 500+ rounds through it. I did plenty of research before buying it, but the biggest selling factor for me was holding it in my hands. It is one of the most comfortable guns I've held and I would pick it over a BHP any day. I got mine for $550 OTD and haven't regretted it once.
"We believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded."
~Doctrine and Covenants 134:11
Old April 4, 2013, 11:07 PM   #33
lagavulin62

Well I'm a little late to this but as a CZ75b owner with over 3000 rounds in mine I never had any concerns with the trigger even in double action. Just takes practice. Everybody I take shooting loves that gun. I could sell for CZ. If you get the 75b you can manually lock and carry "cocked and locked" just like a 1911. At the same time you still have the option of double action carry with no safety concerns if it gets to that. I respect your wishes if you are set on the single action only but since you are not buying the 1911 in 9m you could have the best of both worlds in one gun with the 75b. And yes I'm biased but just saying.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:35 AM   #34
Dashunde

Search high and low for a CZ with the Omega trigger, I've found it to be vastly improved over the standard trigger.
Its a real mystery to me why they have not switch all of the 75's over to the Omega since the trigger is the only real shortcoming of the otherwise fantastic series.

I foolishly passed on the Omega that was at Cabela's a few years ago and bought the SA version instead thinking it would be even better... it was terrible.

I know your having a hard time wrapping your head around a 9mm 1911, I did too for a long time, seemed like blasphemy somehow, but nowadays I cant think of a better 9mm target platform than the 1911.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:46 AM   #35
g.willikers

Even Jeff Cooper, the champion of the 1911, had high praises for the CZ.
It's been my experience that the CZ is generally much better than most of the clones.
With the exception of the very pricey Swiss version.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:02 PM   #36
SmokinSigs357

EEEEEEWWWWWWW, it's like I stumbled into a CZ orgy...gross!!!

Get yourself a 9mm with the best ergonomics and THE best stock trigger period...Walther PPQ. Spend the extra $400.00 on ammo and hot dogs...and soap to get all that CZ stuff off of ya...
Old April 5, 2013, 04:41 PM   #37
FALPhil

Quote:
EEEEEEWWWWWWW, it's like I stumbled into a CZ orgy...gross!!!

Get yourself a 9mm with the best ergonomics and THE best stock trigger period...Walther PPQ. Spend the extra $400.00 on ammo and hot dogs...and soap to get all that CZ stuff off of ya...
Don't you know that Walthers are for metrosexual British spy-wannabees?
Old April 5, 2013, 09:33 PM   #38
Jaywalker

To respond to the OP's question, yes, if the Browning HP is excluded, I think the CZ75 is a good choice, assuming it doesn't cost much more than half the cost of the BHP. Don't get me wrong, I think the CZ75 is more than half as good as the BHP, but the BHP has some extra class and a shorter butt length (five-inch height vs. 5.5, or so) that I'd be willing to pay extra for. It's also simpler to detail strip, not having the double action mechanism.

Personally, I don't carry my BHP concealed, and I wouldn't carry the CZ, either, and because I only need one "house" gun, I don't need a CZ (except maybe the Compact model), I don't expect to own a CZ, but if that's your price range, you probably won't be disappointed.

I don't think I'd hold out for a CZ75 Single Action, though, since the CZ75 can be left in SA mode easily enough.
Old April 6, 2013, 05:09 PM   #39

Quote:
thanks for all the suggestions and 57k that shadow looks sweet but a little pricey for me right now

ive been looking at the whole line up and looking into converting to SAO and decided on the 75 compact and converting it to SAO

im pretty sure i'll end up with a full size 75 in SAO later in life though haha
You made a good choice. CZ Compacts are excellent and my personal favorite is the P-01. Later on you'll probably want to own a full size CZ and I wouldn't be to concerned about that Suggested Retail price for the Shadow SAO, if things get back under control, you'll be able to buy it at a much better price than suggested retail. Then there are the two other suggestions I made, the CZ 85 COMBAT doesn't use the firing pin safety of the 75 B and triggers are a bit better out of the box. A new CZ 75B SA isn't anymore expensive than a standard 75 B in the real world and I believe CZ charges about $150 for a trigger job, and then there's the dreaded shipping charges. One pistol I don't think we've covered yet is the new P-09 which is a full size pistol and has the Omega trigger included. You also have 2 options for safety, it comes standard with CZ's excellent decocking system that only lowers the hammer to half-cock making the first DA shot very short and parts are included so that you can convert the 09 to manual safety and carry it cocked and locked, or in DA mode. I agree with others who have stated that you don't give up anything in buying a DA/SA CZ because if you don't want to use the DA option, just treat it as if it were an SAO.
Old April 7, 2013, 08:41 AM   #40
Dashunde

Quote:
I agree with others who have stated that you don't give up anything in buying a DA/SA CZ because if you don't want to use the DA option, just treat it as if it were an SAO.
I agree with that too, but there are other attractive differences between the SA and standard versions... it has a beaver tail frame and the slide isn't slab-sided near the muzzle, along with other smaller changes.

My dream CZ.... SA frame and slide, Omega trigger, in 40s&w.
Old April 9, 2013, 12:28 PM   #41
Dashunde

Say, I was just snooping around Gunbroker and found this Omega version.
I'd probably still go with a STI Spartan 9mm for range use though...
Old April 9, 2013, 06:11 PM   #42
Old 454

CZ Duty P-07

I have the CZ P-07 Duty and I really like it.
Ergonomics are great and its just a damn fine shooter, I belive I got mine for $525
Old April 9, 2013, 06:27 PM   #43
BoogieMan

9mm 1911 is a dream to choot. I have a Kimber T2 SS that runs a little out of your budget. Plenty of other great ones well within your budget
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown