The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 5, 2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Lead Express

Single stage Powder measure mod.

Hello again!

I have been reloading a lot more on a single stage press than my progressive recently. My single most time consuming process now has been charging cases with powder, and wanted to speed that up a little. The Lee powder measure is accurate with a few taps each charge, but I have this auto-disk powder measure with a charge bar that is dead on. After looking around at the hardware store, I found a .$99 spring that would allow me to use the LM powder measure on the single stage (it charges as the case neck is flared, and resets when the ram is lowered) and it charges cases fast and efficiently. I wanted to share this if anyone has wondered or has done this before.

The spring hooks onto the hole where the chain would go on the powder return, and the other end of the spring goes through a little eye hook I screwed into my bench. The measure is also backwards on my press, as it keeps everything out of my left hand side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00234-20120525-0810.jpg (40.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00241-20120525-0813.jpg (47.8 KB, 47 views)
Old July 5, 2012, 03:43 PM   #2
mikld

Good idea. One thought though. Why not make a stand and mount the powder measure on a piece of wood large enough to make a stable stand? Or is it easier to mount the powder-through/flaring die and power measure in your press? I made a small "table" (12"x18" heavy particle board top mounted on 2x4 legs) and mounted my Lee PPM to that. It's about 6" high and the measure is mounted to one side and plenty of room for my scale. Brings measure and scale closer to eye level...
Old July 5, 2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Lead Express

I do have a Lee PPM as well, but it's not as accurate as I want without "tapping" all of the powder out of it during each charge. The PM on the single stage is the Lee Pro-Auto disk measure that comes with the Lee Loadmaster, and is consistently accurate to +/-.01 grain. After expanding the case mouth and inspecting the powder level, I place a bullet in the case before putting it on my reloading block. It's a pretty seamless method, and I can crank (obviously while not rushing) out about 100 rounds in less than 30 minutes now.

Last edited by Lead Express; July 5, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old July 5, 2012, 07:24 PM   #4
dickttx

You should be able to use the PAD with the powder drop/flaring bushing in place, and there should have been a return spring with your PAD. That is what I use on my Lee Classic Turret.