The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 28, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1
stonecolddaddy

S&W 457 reassembly problem

I got a new S&W 457 and took the receiver off and when I put it back on it will not fire in single or double action. There appears to be a little white plastic piece that is blocking the the first little piece of metal you have to press down when sliding the receiver back on that is blocking that lever. The piece of [plastic appears to be spring loaded. Anyone have any ideas?
Old September 28, 2013, 02:52 PM   #2
fastbolt

Presuming you mean you're trying to dry-fire the EMPTY 457 after reinstalling the slide onto the frame, are you trying to do so with an EMPTY magazine in the gun? Otherwise, the magazine disconnect safety won't let the trigger function the hammer.

The 3 levers which stick up above the rear of the frame ... (ejector depressor, sear release lever and firing pin safety lever) ... have to be depressed, longest to shortest, as the slide is installed back onto the frame.

The white plastic plunger on the left side of the slide is the ejector depressor plunger. It pushes down on the ejector, which in turn pushes down on the disconnector, unless a magazine is in place in the frame. The left lip of the magazine lifts it (ejector) and allows the disconnector to rise and let the drawbar lift and engage the hammer (in DA) and the sear (in SA).

The plastic (nylon) plunger will be either white or black, depending on what was in stock at the time.

If the nylon plunger has been damaged (like if gouged by a broken ejector tip, mangled with a "tool" by someone who doesn't know what they're doing, etc) it should be replaced by a gunsmith familiar with S&W TDA pistols or a S&W trained armorer.

Just some thoughts. I'd obviously have to see the gun to examine it to see what, if anything, is wrong with it and may need correction and/or repair. (Unless you're just trying to dry-fire the trigger without an empty mag in place. )

Last edited by fastbolt; September 28, 2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old September 28, 2013, 02:54 PM   #3
stonecolddaddy

Problem solved

Thank you very much. That was the problem.
Old September 28, 2013, 03:00 PM   #4
fastbolt

Don't think you've discovered anything new.
Old September 28, 2013, 03:03 PM   #5
fastbolt

BTW, congrats on the M457. Enjoy it. It was a real workhorse in the 3rd gen pistol line up. Aside from the plastic sights being less durable than steel (to impact), the gun is a robust and reliable lightweight, compact .45 pistol.

I own and use an "original" 4513TSW (cutaway grip and the shorter 6-rd mags), and carried an issued "standard" 4513TSW with the regular grip and 7-rd mags (same as those used by the 457/457S).

I've carried S&W 3rd gen guns since '90, and having been through the 3rd gen pistol armorer class 4 times, have a passing familiarity with them.

Last edited by fastbolt; September 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old September 29, 2013, 11:16 PM   #6

^^^^ Ditto. I had one for a short while years ago. I couldn't make the thing jam, believe me, we tried. That thing will feed anything and come back for more. Enjoy it.

Tags
457 , smith & wesson