The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 20, 2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Viper225

Different Military Model 12

I have came up with a WWII Model 12 that has a different twist. It is not a Riot or Trench Gun.
Markings:
Left Reciever Centered U.S.
Right Reciever No Markings
Rear Top of Barrel Ordanance Bomb over what looks like P W or R W stamp in a circle
Butt Stock Left Side WB in a Box with the Ordinance Wheel behind it
Markings Left Barrel Model 12 - 12 GA over FULL

This is a plain 28" barrel Military Model 12 in FULL Choke,
The barrel is stamped 41 as a manufacture date on the bottom.
Serial Number 9263XX which I think is 1942 from another post
No reblue, and very clean for a 70 year old Model 12
Barrel serial number same as receiver.
From my research so far most WWII Model 12's were stamped differently than this one is. The U.S. was normally stamped under the ejector port.
Any info would be welcome.

Last edited by Viper225; September 22, 2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old September 20, 2009, 01:37 PM   #2
RJay

The Army"s ( and I assume, the other services also ) Special Services had firearms that GI's could check out to go hunting at varies installations. They were as a rule unmarked except for the ordnance bomb.
Old September 21, 2009, 05:55 PM   #3
30-30remchester

The army, navy and army air corps all had long standard lenght shotguns for arial target practice. I have seen many long shotguns so marked. It is fairly common to see photos of sailors on ships doing target practice with full lenght shotguns. My father-in-law was a ball turret gunner on a B-17 and he trained with shotguns on a skeet field and also practiced shooting clay birds from the back of a moving pickup.
Old September 21, 2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

As above, the vast majority of shotguns used during WWII were for aerial gunnery training of pilots and air crews, or for recreation shooting and hunting on posts.

These were usually nothing more than sporting length barreled commercial guns with blued finishes, which were often parkerized after they wore.

Gunnery training started on a clay bird range, then moved to shooting from the back of a moving jeep or truck, to shooting a mock-up of an aircraft turret with two semi-auto shotguns instead of machine guns.

Recreation use included trap and skeet and hunting for food on posts.