The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 24, 2006, 09:07 AM   #1
tjhands

Basic question on shell length.

Probably THE most basic question of them all. When I used to hunt, I had a single shot 20 gauge, so I don't know much about the functioning of pumps or semi-autos.

I have a Mossberg 500 which I keep loaded with 2 3/4 inch 00 buckshot. My question is this: what's the difference between that and the 3 inch (besides a quarter of an inch)? Will it function just as well in my Mossberg? In theory, could I stagger those two rounds and have them feed just fine?

Thanks for helping me with a dumb question!
Old March 24, 2006, 09:17 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The 3" stuff should work. Check your receiver and barrel. At least one should say "for 2 3/4 and 3" shells".

For defensive purposes, 2 3/4" stuff is plenty. The Mags kick more, cost more and don't kill anything deader.

And, the Archives have lots of info.....
Old March 24, 2006, 10:48 AM   #3
tjhands

Thanks Dave.
Old March 24, 2006, 11:12 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Just to drive home a point, 3" shells in a 2 3/4" chamber can be very bad, to the point of bursting the barrel.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 29, 2006, 05:02 PM   #5
tjhands

Yikes, those 3" shells about took my shoulder off. Up until now I've only shot the "managed recoil" 00 shells. These.......weren't. Ouchy.