The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2015, 11:10 PM   #1
boondocker385

Reloading failures

First time at the bench in a month...dropped a nearly full tray of primed and powdered loads, knocked over a full box of bullets....now that I have cleaned up, time to say, not tonight I guess....

Oh well.
Old January 7, 2015, 11:21 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

It happens

It happens.

There have been times when I "self-actualized" that my head was not in the game. I button up everything and walk away. It's happened as recently as a couple weeks ago.
Old January 8, 2015, 02:44 AM   #3
hartcreek

That is the very reason that I do not use a tray. I drop the charge from my meter into a case put the case into the shell holder and then line up a bullet on the case and press it home.
Old January 8, 2015, 02:51 AM   #4
HiBC

One of the most important skills to have working on or around guns and or reloading is knowing when to just walk away.
Only thing is,we often figure that out just a few minutes too late!
Old January 8, 2015, 07:41 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

That's the right call.

Every time I reload small cartridges, .32 S&W and .380 Auto in particular, I drop at least half a dozen on the floor (out of 100-150).
It's irritating, but not a huge deal. Just fat fingers on little cases (and tiny bullets).

When I knock over a container of power, drop charged rifle cases, dump a tray of primers, or do something else clumsy while loading other stuff, though..... It's game over.

I put everything away and call it a night. I don't want to take the chance of making a mistake that could potentially be dangerous, given the apparently unfocused state of mind.
Old January 8, 2015, 01:05 PM   #6
serf 'rett

And I thought I was the only one to have maladroit moments...

Time to go read or watch idiot box...
Old January 8, 2015, 01:23 PM   #7
buck460XVR

BTDT. I too figured after cleaning up the mess, it was time to wait for another day.
Old January 8, 2015, 01:51 PM   #8
TXJohn

I know the feeling!
Old January 8, 2015, 02:02 PM   #9
rrp

Good to know that it's not just me who has days like this!!!! Keep the faith and good luck next time.
Old January 8, 2015, 03:14 PM   #10
454PB

Something to think about.......I have a hunk of carpet running the full length of my loading bench. It doesn't stop clumsiness, but it keeps things from rolling around and bouncing into places where they will never be found again!

Spilled powder is easier to vacuum up from carpet than concrete.
Old January 8, 2015, 07:58 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
That is the very reason that I do not use a tray. I drop the charge from my meter into a case put the case into the shell holder and then line up a bullet on the case and press it home.
While there is the risk of spilling things, using a tray has advantages, the biggest one is the ability to view all the charges, relative to each other. A under, or over charge can be spotted visually.

I generally throw from the measure into the case, then dump into the scale pan, weigh, adjust as needed, return to the case, and case into the block. If I'm not weighing each charge, I spot check weight every 5 or 10, and do a visual of them all in the block, before starting the bullets.

Very rare for me to dump a loading block, but I have done it a couple times over the years.
Old January 8, 2015, 09:25 PM   #12
MarkGlazer

I don't use a traditional loading tray or block for the very reason you mentioned. Sorry about your troubles.

A few years ago I purchased C&B ammunition and they package their rounds on a small, square plastic tray that holds each round in place with what I will describe as "fingers" as opposed to a rectangular block with holes for each round. I thought "what a perfect loading block," small enough to easily fit in the palm of your hand and holds the case such that it can't spill. Each block holds 25 rounds but I interspace the cases, only using 13 places so that there is room between cases. You can easily manipulate the block under your powder dispenser, for those of us who don't use a progressive press.

I have looked everywhere for more of these things, short of buying ammo from C&B, which I don't need nor want to do. I even tried contacting them via email and they never responded. I look through the trash bins on the range in hope of finding these little treasures but no luck so far.

I realize this is a little off subject but your experience reminded me of the little things that make this endeavor fun and sometimes frustrating.

Take care. Good luck at your bench next time.
Old January 8, 2015, 09:48 PM   #13
Blindstitch

Yep if stuff happens I'm done. I was taught by my grandpa and the rules are no drinking/eating, no music/tv, and no leaving the room. Of course if you really must leave the room and have powder in cases it all gets dumped out and started over. If you aren't completely focuses then you shouldn't be reloading.

Then come back at a better time.

I guess this works for me.
Old January 8, 2015, 10:00 PM   #14
skizzums

I always drop a couple round pulling it out of the shellholder after powdering. I should probably just stop using the powder through die and powder them by funnel. happens every time with 9mm
Old January 8, 2015, 11:31 PM   #15
hartcreek

I have been reloading for more then 25 years. I used to use the tray but since I bought my Lyman 55 20 some years ago I quit using the tray. I eyeball the powder level before I place the bullet so I know when the powder height does not look right.
Old January 9, 2015, 12:10 AM   #16
GWS

We gotta just laugh and come back another day.

When I first got my Progressive (Pro 2000) my friend invited me over to watch the master work his Dillon 650.

5 minutes in, the press dumped 100 primers all over the cement floor. We spent 30 minutes searching and picking them up.....no we didn't find all of them.

Then after loading a while something else went wrong and we were sweeping powder off the floor.

Moral of the story....don't demonstrate your progressive unless you know your machine well, and you are sure it's a day you are firing on all cylinders!

I didn't learn that lesson as I demonstrated my new Pro 2000 a few days later to him. The first 50 rounds loaded perfect......or so I thought. My friend picked up a round just loaded in the bin, held it up, and said, "What's this?" There was powder trickling out of the bottom of the case!

I forgot that a new APS strip has to be snapped to the last every 25 rounds or the primer supply dries up! Had to pull 25 bullets.....some demonstration.

Yup.....you just gotta laugh at yourself, quit and try again another day.

Last edited by GWS; January 9, 2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old January 9, 2015, 12:28 AM   #17
Nick_C_S

I've been using a loading block my entire loading tenure (30 years). I've never had a mishap with charged cases big enough to be worth remembering.

When I'm dropping powder charges, my movements are slow and deliberate. I don't take my eyes off the loading block. And if someone interrupts me, I stop, set it down, look at them and start listening. Charging cases is a rather critical moment in the loading process
Old January 13, 2015, 02:29 PM   #18
Jay24bal

Just a couple weeks ago I had a breakdown in my procedure.

I had just charged 50 rifle loads in the loading block (and these were precision rounds where I trickle each charge up to the exact tenth of a grain), and as I was taking the first one out of the block to insert in the press to seat the bullet, I saw powder falling out. I had forgot to insert primers.

I did the exact same thing you did; I dumped the powder back in the jug, cleaned up and went back upstairs. My head was obviously not in it. Wasting the hour it took to weigh out each charge is well worth it to make sure I still have 10 fingers when I come home from the range.

I usually insert the brass into the loading block primer-side up and then flip over each one as it gets charged to make sure I am not double charging or forgetting one. For whatever reason, protocol evaded me that night, and a mistake was made.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 13, 2015, 02:49 PM   #19
mdmtj

Quote:
One of the most important skills to have working on or around guns and or reloading is knowing when to just walk away.
Only thing is,we often figure that out just a few minutes too late!
Knowing when to walk away for a while and try later is something I've come to be able to do better as I've aged. Shooting, loading, wrenching, welding, programming, riding the motorcycle (or car), interacting with the wife/children/cows, ... Maybe if I had learned this earlier in life there is an ex-wife that wouldn't have become an ex--- naah, wouldn't have helped.
Old January 13, 2015, 04:28 PM   #20
Panfisher

Dang I have done about all of those plus just the other day after loading some .243 and 22-250s with IMR 4895 I took a break and came back to load some .223 for an upcoming fun shoot. Decided to use up last of the BLC-2 I had and happily poured it right on top of the 4895. fortunately they are very different sizes so after a couple failed tries with my wife's wire strainers I found the magic one. Took a while to strain the 4895 out and quality check it over a sheet of white paper. Ended up losing about a shot glass of powder. Quit for the night.
Old January 14, 2015, 10:43 AM   #21
9mmSkeeter

I don't hate anything more during reloading than spilling a hopper full of powder. Oh my gosh that ruins my night. I usually cuss up a storm and in vain try to cup up the powder, gathering maybe 1/3 of what was actually spilled. I only fill the hopper 1/5th full now, at most. AND then I cap my jugs and put them out of reach.