The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 8, 2008, 08:11 AM   #1
matthew temkin

We Need Hosts.

7677 and myself have recently started co teaching together and are looking for ranges/gun/martial arts clubs to sponsor us.
In addition to point shooting with hand/long guns we also teach home defense/CCW tactics, armed and unarmed combatives, knife-counter knife, basic stick fighting along with basic to intermediate firearms classes.
Anyone interested can respond to either of us via a PM or to me at [email protected]
Old February 9, 2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Mannlicher

Could you provide some information regarding your bona fides? What is your experience level, training, and history in the field of self defense training?

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 9, 2008, 01:47 PM   #3
matthew temkin

Here is an introduction that I wrote when asked to teach a class at Ft. Lee last year in unarmed combat.
7677 was in actual combat during the first Gulf war, was a Dallas street cop for seven years and is now a Federal Agent who is constantly being sent to FLETC for advanced training.
His grandfather was a WW2 Mariner raider who was also a Pearl Harbor survivor.
Do a search under either of us here and you will see a lot of information provided by us for several years.

INTRODUCTION TO MATT TEMKIN

My introduction to WW2 Combatives came at around the age of eight, which was sometime around 1960.
I saw a really nice judo move on TV and my dad decided to show me how it was done.
I did not know it then, but my father was a veteran of Col. Darby’s 1rst and 4th Ranger Bns. who saw extensive combat from Africa to Anzio.
After returning from overseas in June, 1944 he was eventually stationed as a hand to hand combat instructor at Ft. Hamilton until his discharge in October, 1945.
He passed on much of his hard won knowledge to me and set the stage for my life long interest in combatives, martial arts and practical shooting.
In 1979 I became a NYC Court Officer which opened the door to the law enforcement training circuit, and allowed me to pick the brains of many grizzled NYPD, Correction and other law enforcement officers.
Their lessons later paid off on saving my life and the lives of a few others in my 20 year career.
I began training other officers soon after my appointment and have been involved in the training, research and teaching of these methods.
I am a certified N.R.A. Police Handgun/Shotgun Instructor and a NYS Armed Security Guard Instructor.
I married a Swedish woman in 1992 and on my regular trips overseas to visit the in laws I have trained many Swedish SWAT, regular police and some Swedish military units in armed and unarmed close combat.
I was also asked to teach some classes in Poland (2003 & 2004) where I met/trained with many former Soviet bloc military vets/instructors.
After one such seminar I was invited by a Polish police captain to go with him to Lublin and teach point shooting to his Anti-terrorist team.
I have taught combat shooting & combatives at several police conferences, mainly for the International Assoc of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors and the Massachusetts Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors and Armorer’s Associations at Camp Devons, Mass. Most of the students at these classes were either police SWAT or military instructors. I have also taught numerous law enforcement officers--NYPD, Port Authority PD, Long island, NY police officers, etc etc, as well as private security/armored car personnel in both group and private venues.
I have also had several of my unarmed combat articles published in Black Belt, Karate Illustrated and Warriors magazines.

Last edited by matthew temkin; February 10, 2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old February 9, 2008, 01:52 PM   #4
matthew temkin

Last August 7677 and myself taught a pro bono class at the Akron, OH Police Academy for about 20 officers.
Here is a review of that class that was posted over on Warriortalk.
http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=26950

Gents,

I had the chance earlier this month to train with Matthew Temkin and 7677 at their yearly summer training event.

First off, I (and my training partner) want to thank them and 7677's training partner JM for inviting me and my training partner to the event. I've been reading stuff from Matt and 7677 for years, and it's been great getting to know them a little bit and learn from them.

I've had nothing but sighted fire training until this year, when after alot of research, I decided it was time to get some point shooting training. One prominent instructor I've trained extensively with has you use your sights for 100% of the firing in class, and says if you have to shoot close in, just use the built in retention position of the draw. Problem is, you never actually do it in training.

I have to call BS on that, how can you be expected to do something in real life that you haven't trained to do? Answer: you can't!

Also, Steve Barron showed me a classic photo of this same instructor during an intense FoF event, and this same instructor is in a classic Fairbairn 3/4 hip position, under extreme stress in the scenario, firing. Hmmm. Barron said to me, with a grin on his face, already knowing the answer, "did you learn that position in your classes with him?" My answer, "Uh, no".

To quote Matt from one of his posts, we covered:

"point shooting both from a tactical officers point of view ( two hands in a hunter/active shooter mode) to extreme close range techniques. ( EU/ED, Zipper,retention, getting off the X, etc.)....some combatives and weapon retention....FOF a la airsoft" We also did some carbine pointshooting training.

We shot about 600rds each during the training day and covered a lot of material. There were some hardened, experienced Gunmen in this class, and not one of them came away unimpressed with this training.

Matt has a trememdous amount of knowledge and is a dynamic instructor, never failing to keep the attention of the class. He is the kind of guy that could easily misinterpreted on the street, just an average looking guy, but God help the crook that attacks this guy! My training partner and I were laughing on the way home at the sheer viciousness of Matt's demos. He is a real character and ball buster, and had us laughing our asses off at some points of the class. It was so damn hot that note taking was totally impractical, we had to focus on stuffing mags and drinking water when we weren't shooting, but I wish I'd had the chance to write down some of his one-liners. Matt is also a wheelgunner, which I like, as I carry two wheelguns everyday. The revolver is far from obsolete as a personal defense weapon!

7677 is a skilled operator and instructor, with tremendous knowledge, but much more low key than Matt. He did alot of the demos for the class, and let me tell you he is another guy you wouldn't want to tangle with at any range. He makes his duty G19 sound like a sub gun in some of the close range drills, with deadly accuracy.

Matt's buddy (who didn't want to be identified) and 7677's buddy JM were also assistant instructors for the class and did a great job of personal instruction. Thanks Guys! JM hosted this event and really worked hard and deserves a lot of credit for having the balls to teach these lifesaving skills to his men.

FoF saw some interesting things happen, I just wish that it had been videotaped, as I believe you can learn a great deal watching yourself on video.

These guys make a great training team. I would recommend anyone interested in no BS training contact these guys and bring them in for some training, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I've now trained with three of the instructors who were personally trained by Col Rex Applegate: Steve Barron, Clyde Beasley, and now Matthew Temkin. I've been nothing but impressed by the training offered by these men.

Pointshooting is alive and well in Ohio.

Thanks again,

Dave Williams
Last edited by Dave Williams : 08-21-2007 at 09:35 A
Old February 10, 2008, 05:15 PM   #5
David Armstrong

If you want you are welcome to use my private range in SW Louisiana, Matt. It's a primitive range (no amenities) but we've got two bays, some shelter, lots of steel, and your choice of several hundred trees to pee behind<G>!
Old February 10, 2008, 05:47 PM   #6
matthew temkin

Thanks Dave--and it would be great to finally meet you.
I'll PM you for contact info.
Old February 10, 2008, 08:33 PM   #7
DCJS Instructor

Matt,

shoot me a PM! I would love to help you!

I have 2 classrooms & Indoor & Outdoor range in Fredericksburg, Va & Winchester, Va.

Tom Perroni

Owner / Lead Instructor
www.perronitactical.com
Training Director
www.goldensealenterprises.com
Lead Instructor
www.blackwatreusa.com
Old February 10, 2008, 10:33 PM   #8
matthew temkin

Roger that and will do.
Old February 11, 2008, 10:55 PM   #9
kgpcr

7677 sound like something from Get Smart LOL Just a joke! Agent 99 told me to do it!
Smith M&P 40
Old February 12, 2008, 12:33 AM   #10
matthew temkin

7677 was his badge # when he was with Dallas PD.