The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 5, 2008, 10:32 PM   #1
mahd776

Shipping Black Powder Revolver

Got a Ruger Old Army stainless revolver that needs to go back to the factory to have whatever is in the barrel looked at. Looks like rust and nothing I have tried has touched it. New in the box pistol and the factory has suggested that I return it for them to look at. What are my shipping options? It was delivered to me by the USPS. I checked Fed Ex and they wanted $45.00 for ground and a whooping $95.00 for next day. Any one have any suggestions?
Old February 5, 2008, 11:08 PM   #2
JJBlanche

Get Ruger to pay for it. To make you pay shipping for a defective product is insane. Talk to a manager, threaten to never buy one of their products again, do whatever it takes. If you talk to the right people they will issue a call tag for you.
Old February 5, 2008, 11:22 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

You can ship it from your local post office. It's blackpowder and not a modern cartridge gun. Hey, splurge. Go priority for $8.95 and pay for registration & return receipt.
Old February 6, 2008, 07:50 AM   #4
mykeal

I presume you saw 4v50Gary's answer to your other post. He is correct - since it's a bp revolver it is not a firearm and USPS will ship it Priority Mail. Or Parcel Post, for that matter.
Old February 6, 2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Pahoo

I had to ship a rifle back to Lyman and took to the post office for shipping. Got a receipt listing the cost of shipiing and insurance then mailed a copy to Lyman as they requested. Still waiting for the reimbursment. The post office asked if it was a dangerous material and of course I said no. Did not volunteer any more information than that as it would only confuse them. The rifle got there just fine. By rights, every supplier should include a return authorization form with their products. Be safe!!
Old February 7, 2008, 01:50 PM   #6
mahd776

Update

Called the Post Office yesterday and told them what I had and that I needed to ship it back to Sturm Ruger. They checked the book and said that it would not be a problem to ship. Took it to the Post Office and they helped me pack it in a prioity shipping box and even put extra packing around the hard case so that it would not move around in the box. Total for 2-3 day priority with insurance and proof of delivery $16.00. Nice savings for me! Thanks to all!!!!
Old February 11, 2008, 05:59 PM   #7
deanodog

Boy you are lucky with your post office. I asked about shipping one and they said no way unless I was a FFL holder. I even called a supervisor and he didn't know any more than the clerk. They said any thing that can be fired was a no no. It had to be a non firing to be shipped without a license. I told them they was wrong but it is their turf. To make matters worse I called UPS and they told me I had to have a license on both ends of a shipment and it had to go overnight for about 65.00. Yes they are wrong but no one is as deaf as those that WILL NOT listen. Oh well enough of my ranting.
Old February 11, 2008, 10:14 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

I admit that for most post offices, it is not really that common for someone to want to ship a gun, but apparently some clerks are simply ignorant, too lazy to look up the regulations and/or too stupid to understand them. Unfortunately, many postmasters and supervisors are no better.

The Ruger Old Army does run afoul of some laws, though. Some states that recognize antique guns and replicas as "non-guns" and exempt from most gun laws have ruled that the Old Army is neither an antique nor a replica and consider it the same as a regular cartridge revolver.

Jim
Old February 12, 2008, 07:05 AM   #9
mykeal

Jim,

What states consider the ROA a cartridge gun?
Old February 12, 2008, 05:06 PM   #10
berkmberk1

For what it's worth...

Considering the law specifically dictates that it is legal (mailing a cartridge gun to the factory or other authorized entity, or a bp to any authorized entity - given local restrictions), I see no reason not to package it up very well, wrap it up in brown paper, take it to the post office, insure it for what its worth, and don't tell them what it is. You don't HAVE to tell them. There are no declarations you have to make, like flying on commercial aircraft. If, by some unforseen circumstance, a postal employee were to open the package, there would be nothing they could do. A really dumb one would notify the postal police/inspectors (yep, they exist) and I bet it wouldn't take two seconds for that employee to be set right.

If you don't break the law, a dumb government employee can't get you in trouble.