The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 11, 2005, 12:21 AM   #76
aspen1964

..if I had 20 people in a mob coming at me...I would want something else besides just a 5 or 6 shot riot gun....what I mean is an additional weapon..but I still want the riot gun.....at a distance of 35 to 50 yards, buckshot would probably hit more than one person if they were together in one mass.....there is a reason for the slang 'street sweeper' you know...
Old November 11, 2005, 12:08 PM   #77
dm1333

roy reali isn't paranoid

I live in California and I agree with him 100%. The politicians here don't just confine their shenanigans to guns either. The California Air Resource Board started out with a clearly defined purpose but it is now being twisted and used by some politicians to ban things that they don't like(diesel engines). I can think of several examples of extreme hypocrisy ranging from anti gun politicians who have concealed carry permits to the fact that the state has banned smoking from bars for health reasons yet allows the liberal use of "medical marijuana". I think most of the politicos in this state need to have some sense slapped back into them.
Old November 11, 2005, 12:26 PM   #78
roy reali

Our Hunting Regulations

I know this is going to be off topic, but a look at how our hunting regulations are set will explain how goofy things are here. Many of our laws pertaining to hunting are decided by ballot initiative, yes a vote. The game officals and biologists are often ignored.

We have a serious mountain lion over-population problem. We need to hunt them again. Not only to bring their numbers back in line, but also because the cats are loosing the fear of man. Several weeks ago a guy here in the foothills just outside of my city heard a commotion out in his backyard. He went and found his dog in battle with a cougar. He had his shotgun but didn't want to shoot directly at the cat because of the risk to his dog. He fired a shot into the air. The lion ignored the shot and continued his battle with the dog. He fired the next shot into the rear end of the cat, this made him break the fight and take off. This cat had no fear of a gun blast.

Some years ago a ballot measure was up for a vote. It would have opened up hunting for mountain lions. The residents of SF and L.A. didn't want the poor little kitties hurt, so it failed.

My point is that if we can not intelligently regulate our wild life here how in the hell are we going to get anywhere with gun issues!
Old November 11, 2005, 01:10 PM   #79
Harley Quinn

What happened to the Mountain Lion?

Now that it was wounded and a far more dangerous animal? Has it been dispatched, caught or seen of since?

I believe the person who shot the animal to be pretty reckless, he should of shot to kill and not worry about his dog (which was doing his job by the way).
If he would of put himself closer to the fight and shot the animal in the vitals it would have been better in my opinion. Another bad decision was to fire the shot into the air. Training will get you everytime.

Bad decision on the part of this untrained citizen and now a wounded mountain lion is on the loose???

Just reading the story and trying to show how things are not done right with out training. Even with training it does not always go the way it should.

As far as a mob goes, do they deserve death??? How come you have that right and not the Police that are hired to do the job. See what I mean the shoe is on the other foot...

Harley
Old November 11, 2005, 01:29 PM   #80
roy reali

Don't Know Exactly Why, But

Apparently he could not get a clean shot at the cat because he was entangled with his dog. I suppose he wanted to not shoot his dog if possible. He might have taken a different course of action, but in the heat of battle things don't always go as planned.

The main point though is that the cat showed no fear. A little hunting pressure would have the cats retreating away from humans. But as I said earlier, the good people of our urban areas deemed it not necesary.

I think that they should live trap a bunch of mountain lions. Then they should relocate them in the parks around the bay area. They like the cats so much they need to have some around to enjoy. Then the people of Marin County have a new activity to look forward to on weekend mornings. They can get up and slip on their Birkenstocks. They can then grab some granola and soy milk. They could put that in a bowl and go feed the big kitty cats in their local parks. They can even photograph each other hugging and frolicking with the cougars.

They could show the rest of the state that these cats are indeed harmless and misunderstood.
Old November 11, 2005, 02:53 PM   #81
MillCreek

Quote:
They can even photograph each other hugging and frolicking with the cougars.

They could show the rest of the state that these cats are indeed harmless and misunderstood.
Now this, I would pay money to see!

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA