The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2012, 12:55 PM   #26
leadchucker

If the primer was indeed positively seated at some point, which you indicate it was, something had to cause it to unseat. Not too many possibilities for that.

You said that the primer fell out on its own. As you also said, it could be an oversized primer pocket, or and undersized primer. It would be easy enough to check the primer pocket on that piece of brass with a micrometer, or by trying to seat a spent primer in it. Positively identifying what happened is your best method of recognizing it if it happens again.
Old November 10, 2012, 03:49 PM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

I'm wondering if the case had a loose primer pocket and seating the lubed bullet pushed it out by compressing the air inside.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 10, 2012, 04:02 PM   #28
CrustyFN

Being just one round I would take out a die. Run the round up through the turret hole. Grab the bullet with a pair of pliers and lower the ram to pull the bullet. Take the case and shell holder out and dump the powder then push the primer back out with the sizing die. It's a lot faster than I made it sound.
Old November 10, 2012, 07:26 PM   #29
dacaur

unfortunately 9mm is too short to do that. It works great with rifle rounds though.
Old September 5, 2013, 08:14 PM   #30
mmathras

I had the very same problem today!

Not realizing that the primer did not seat fully with my Lee Turret Press and after the casing received its powder charge and the bullet was seated, the loaded cartridge could not be removed from the shell holder (due to the projection of the unseated primer below the deck of shell holder.) The shell and shell holder was removed from the press. After donning safety goggles and a face shield, the lead bullet was grasped with a Vise Grips pliers. A slit was slowly cut into the casing just below the low edge of the bullet with a hack saw. Water was poured into the casing through the slit to soak the powder. The slit was then completed through the casing and the bullet head removed. After flushing out the shell of any remaining wet powder, a 1/16" drill bit was inserted through the remaining top of the casing into the flash hole and held with the Vise Grips pliers ....and the unseated primer was lightly tapped out through the bottom---thereby now allowing the removal of the brass. I figured that if the primer was to detonate, the drill bit would be somewhat constricted from becoming a projectile by the Vise Grips arrest.

I'm still not certain just why the primer never fully seated in the first place. I now check each and every supposedly de-primered case after the first stage of this press sequence to make certain 1. the old primer has been ejected and 2.) the new primer has seated properly.
Old September 8, 2013, 07:57 AM   #31
F. Guffey

Not all shell holders are alike, some RCBS 9MM shell holders protect the reloader from the operator of the press, the shell holder makes it most difficult to remove a case with a high primer, some shell holders do not have a slot for protruding primers.

Then there is that other thing,/problem, If it is not for sell it does not exist.

F. Guffey