The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old June 4, 2007, 12:49 AM   #1
qlajlu

Trouble with e-mail notification of new posts

Okay, since THR is down and who knows when it might return, perhaps one of you technically savvy people here on TFL can answer a question for me and iron out a problem I have been having.

Whenever you post to a thread you are automatically subscribed to that thread and you can also subscribe to other threads without making posts. This means that when new posts are made to those threads while you are not logged in you will be sent an e-mail notification. Included in those e-mail notifications is a URL to click on and it will take you to that particular post in that thread...at least that is what is supposed to happen.

Approximately two months ago over on THR, nothing changed to my knowledge, yet the links in my e-mail notifications started sending me to the #1 post in the thread it came from rather than that specific post. The e-mail itself is the same in all respects, but I get sent to the #1 post.

While spending time on TFL because of the problems over on THR, I have noticed that the links in the e-mail notifications I get from TFL will send me to the particular post in the thread referenced in the e-mail...as it should do.

Both TFL and THR are powered by vBulletin. I also belong to another forum that operates under vBulletin and the link in it's e-mail notifications sends me to the proper post.

I cleared my temporary Internet files and I still cannot get the link in the e-mail from THR to send me to the right post. I have asked around to other IT people I know and the consensus is that it is a vBulletin problem but they do not know how to fix it because they are not familiar with the programing.

Here are samples of links I have received this last week from both THR and TFL. From them I cannot see that they are the problem.

THR: thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=280154&goto=newpost

TFL: TheFiringLine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250066&goto=newpost

(I had to remove the "http://www" because the program kept wanting to make the links hot and I only want to show them for comparison.)

Except for the thread numbers these links are almost identical. TFL has an additional word in the link, "forums," but I cannot see how that would make the difference.

Let me emphasize that this is a problem on THR not on this board.

Can anyone help me or explain what is going on?

Drive no faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Old June 4, 2007, 02:33 PM   #2
tyme
Staff

Your THR cookies may be screwed up. Try deleting them and see if the last-post feature works when THR's back up.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old June 4, 2007, 03:33 PM   #3
qlajlu

I was afraid someone would say that. I have so many other accounts and passwords stored on cookies in my machine that it takes a very long time to recover them all when I delete all my cookies. I have looked at the cookie file but cannot identify any from THR so I might have to delete them all.

The only thing I question is that every time I log out I get a message that all cookies are cleared. What's with that if this is a cookie problem?

Drive no faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Last edited by qlajlu; June 4, 2007 at 04:39 PM.