The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2014, 12:13 PM   #1
GaryO7

Novice brass question?

I was able to find a bag of 50, new, unfired 7-08 Winchester brass. What is the suggested steps that I need to go through to be ready to dump powder into them? Do you mess with the primer pocket and flash hole? What say you? Thanks...

NRA Member

Last edited by GaryO7; January 6, 2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old January 6, 2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Jay24bal

You should always full length size new brass that is unprimed.

If it is primed, then it should be good to go from the manufacturer.

Other than that, treat it like you would all your once fired brass (trimming if needed, chamfering, de-burring, etc).

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 6, 2014, 01:16 PM   #3
GaryO7

Do you mess with the primer pocket and flash hole?

NRA Member
Old January 6, 2014, 01:30 PM   #4
myfriendis410

Only if that is a step you would normally do, or if it has a crappy looking flash hole.
Old January 6, 2014, 01:37 PM   #5
mnoirot64

I only work on the flash hole when it is starting to look bad. I clean, de-burr and make the primer pockets uniform on brass I have shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryO7
Does anyone run into issues with the flash hole in new brass? I typically buy Hornady, Nosler or Starline and the flash holes always appear to be fairly uniform and clean.

Clarksville, Tennessee
Old January 6, 2014, 01:51 PM   #6
mikld

I say get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. All the basic steps are covered in there. If you're asking what to do with new brass, most get by with a good inspection and full length sizing. Sometimes cases get dinged in shipping and by sizing, you know exactly what you're starting with. Inspection will tell you if the flash hole needs deburring, and the condition of the primer pocket.
Old January 6, 2014, 01:54 PM   #7
AllenJ

It really depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you are shooting a target rifle you'll want to do full brass prep, i.e. uniform primer pockets, debur the flash hole, turn necks, trim to length, etc. If you are just trying to reload some rounds for you sporter rifle you should check case length, trim if needed, neck size (if the brass is in good shape, otherwise you may want to full length size), and load. I've loaded many new cases after only neck sizing 2/3's of the neck and never had a problem.
Old January 6, 2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Mike38

Quote:

I ream the flash hole on all my brass, even pistol loads. It’s a one time thing. As for primer pockets, not needed on new brass, only after firing.

Quote:
Does anyone run into issues with the flash hole in new brass?
I commonly buy “lower end” brass such as Remington or Winchester. I have on occasion found Remington brass with burrs large enough to cover 50% of the hole. Many times it covers 10% to 20%. Not so much on Winchester, but sometimes there. All would still fire I’m sure, but taking that extra step makes for more consistent hand loads, and consistency equals accuracy.
Old January 6, 2014, 05:12 PM   #9
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38
I ream the flash hole on all my brass, even pistol loads. It’s a one time thing. As for primer pockets, not needed on new brass, only after firing.
Funny. I have found the flash holes on my Nosler and Hornady to be clean and free of burrs. However, I have almost always had to run a primer pocket uniformer through them. If I did not, I would very seldom ever get the primer fully seated.

Clarksville, Tennessee