The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 30, 2000, 10:34 PM   #1
Coyote

Fist day at a new range. I'm still under 10 trips total. Bought a Glock 26 in December and have been learning to shoot. Using 50ft pistol targets I was keeping about 80% of them inside the 7 ring (5.5 in) at 25 ft., and almost 99% on the paper (12 in), which is a heck of alot better than my first time out (with the big paper person sillohette, I was missing the paper at 25 feet. ouch. now that's an incentive to practice)
150 rounds is about my limit for a day. At least I don't feel quite as bad about my shooting skill anymore. The new range is pretty neat though, brightly lit, clean, compterized lead monitoring system, they have a neat target system where you type in the distance in feet you want to set the target and off it goes (not to mention it doesnt swing there for 5 minutes afterwards.) Oh. And it's not located in the back of a pawn shop , and it's cheaper to boot

Oh. And those shoot and see targets.. Wow. Whoever invented those, they're seriously the neatest things since sliced bread.

-Pat
Old January 30, 2000, 11:38 PM   #2
Ankeny

I wish I had an indoors range to go to. I envy you. Keep up the good work. Have you set a goal, like all shots in the black at 25 feet?
Old January 31, 2000, 12:15 AM   #3
Coyote

In the black at 25 feet would be really nice. I'm certainly not there yet. On the other hand, the guy next to me was getting 90% of his in the black, rapid fire... At 5 feet. The rangemaster had to come out and enforce the no rapid fire rule on him (and was slightly bemused at the fact that they weren't all in the black at that range.)

The other guy there was shooting at the same range I was and asked me how I was shooting so well (which confused me, becase I didn't think it was all that good, just better than it was a first), and seemed surprised when I told him that I'd only been shooting for two months (<1000rnds).

At least I started shooting enough in the center to start noticing trends of where the other shots are going (at first it was like, huh? they're everywhere, what do you mean down and to the left, I guess a few are over there, and to the right, and up, and etc). Now all the shots that aren't hitting in the 6 inches are in the down quadrant. Nothing up, nothing dead right or left, just down and to the r/l, mostly just down. I'm not sure what this means, I'm guessing that it's flinching.

-Pat
Old January 31, 2000, 03:06 AM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Move closer.

Start at 7 feet.

Once your all X ring... all the time -
Move back a pace.

Rinse and repeat.

Do this - and you'll be hitting X rings at 25 just like the pros.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Old January 31, 2000, 01:08 PM   #5
Guy B. Meredith

Coyote,

Your self awareness puts you ahead of the pack. Saturday one obvious newcomer laid down a shotgun pattern at 25 yds and was heard to say "Looks like I need to adjust the sights down a bit." Maybe I'm dense, but I sure couldn't figure where to adjust sights with a group like that. The gentleman definitely needs to learn to create reliable groupings before touching the sights.