The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 16, 2010, 10:20 PM   #1
linx310

Found a Whitney revolver in a Texas farm field...

Found at a friends place today while clearing out some brush....

When I pull the hammer back it still locks into place and when I pull the trigger the hammer falls.

I can barely make out the manufacturers stamp on top of the barrel.

The Serial number is 25212

Is there a place I can find a cylinder and other parts to try and complete it?
Old July 16, 2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Jim Watson

At one time there were reproduction Whitneys made. You could probably part out an Italian repro at not too great a cost.

The Spiller & Burr is a Confederate copy of the Whitney, repros still in production.
Whether it is a close enough copy to use its parts to finish out your dugup, I don't know.
Old July 16, 2010, 11:00 PM   #3
Jimmy10mm

If that gun could talk it would probably have some interesting tales to tell. Real cool find.
Old July 17, 2010, 02:01 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Good find! Spray a lot of oil down the mechanism or better yet, soak it in oil.
Old July 17, 2010, 07:22 AM   #5
Delmar

Would that pistol be more valuable if repaired with repo parts, or just cleaned up, as is?
Old July 17, 2010, 07:43 AM   #6
pohill

There's a similiar Whitney relic in an antique shop in my area, that supposedly was dug up at Antietam. It has a price of $230 and it's been there for several years. I would take this one and clean it, maybe refinish it, and replace the cylinder and loading lever with parts from a Palmetto Whitney repro.
The serial number shows it to be a Second Model, 5th type.

Spiller & Burr repro cylinder on left, Whitney on right.

Last edited by pohill; July 17, 2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old July 17, 2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

Rust removal with an electrolysis bath would clean that up nice and not damage anything.
Great find.
It is yours or the landowners?
Old July 17, 2010, 08:25 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Rust removal with an electrolysis bath would clean that up nice and not damage anything.
+1000

This is the best way to clean this partial revolver with out damage to the metal.

Here is a link on several DIY methods.
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=80
Old July 17, 2010, 08:04 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

Great find! It would be interesting to know the story behind this one. If I were you, I'd go back to where you found it and scrounge around with a metal detector. You might find nothing . . . but then again, you might find something??? Would be interesting to know where the rest of it is. Good luck with it . . . . a find like that has to make your day!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 18, 2010, 08:25 PM   #10
Tom2

It is considered in "relic" condition as it is. Removing the rust down to shiny pitted steel would do nothing to enhance the value, would decrease it. Maybe you could brush off some of the loose red rust with one of those little plastic handled wire brushes they sell in the hwdr. stores. Not a big honking wire brush with big stiff bristles. Then leave it brown or whatever the balance of the gun is. Hard to say how long it has been out there, but if it were there for 130 years or something, the wood grips would probably be fully gone. My suspicion is that sometime in the mid 20th century, some boys found it in an attic or something, took it out and used it as a toy, not having a clue or a practical use for a front stuffing revolver like that. Lost the parts and eventually dropped the gun outside. I once had a kit Whitney from Dixie Gun Works. Was about a rough piece, all heavy mill machine marks on all the parts. I only got it partially done. Lots and lots of tedious filing to get out those really deep machine marks and the grips were two sizes too big, crudely shaped and rough. So you might inquire to Dixie or E gunparts about repro parts floating around. Or you could take it to a gun show and make up a tall tale to try to sell it. Like most of them do. PS or do nothing at all to it for the time being, anything you take off of it you cannot put back.

Last edited by Tom2; July 18, 2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old July 19, 2010, 10:54 AM   #11
danielw

Nice find! Where, in what State, did you find it?

I agree with Tom2 that over-cleaning will diminish the value; and that the grips do look pretty good, so it hasn't been in the dirt since the War.
I'm researching Whitney Navy revolvers, and would like to add this to my data base, since we can see the serial #. (You will also find the serial # under the brass trigger guard & on the frame under the guard.....if the screw can be removed). Serial numbers should also be on the inside of the grips.
You might want to see if there is a military inspectors mark on the brass trigger guard, just forward of the trigger, or on the right side of the barrel near the frame. I have a few others in the low 25000 range that were martially marked.
Old July 19, 2010, 11:00 AM   #12
danielw

Opps....I just reread the title and saw the State was Texas.

Dan
www.whitneyrevolver.com
Old July 21, 2010, 01:15 PM   #13
linx310

What do the military proof marks look like?
Old July 22, 2010, 06:30 PM   #14
highvel

I see any old weapon and my mind starts to wander; how cool it would be to know the story.
Was someone disarmed and the gun was thrown in two different directions, were kids playing with grandads gun and lost it, or was it stolen from some poor elderly grandmother and discarded because they couldnt shoot it "gangster style".

It's ok, I'm back now, just a old age moment!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old July 26, 2010, 04:04 PM   #15
danielw

linx310,
Sorry for the delay in replying.
The military inspector marks would be small letters (most often seen is a "B") on the left side of barrel near where it enters the frame; on the left frame near the barrel; on the right side of barrel near the frame; and on the brass trigger guard between the screw & trigger guard. May also be visible on the side of the cylinder near the nipples.
I attached a couple of pictures showing the "B" on the frame&barrel; and on the trigger guard.