The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 23, 2009, 09:40 PM   #276
Bike Effects

I was lucky enough today to walk into a gun store that had CCI Large Rifle Magnum and Large Pistol Magnum primers. They were limiting customers to 300 each, so I bought 300 of each. Price was $3.69/100.
Old April 24, 2009, 11:57 AM   #277
tiberius10721

I think primer and ammo shortage close to an end!

this morning went to local sports shop and the owner had recieved cases of pistol ammo and primers small and large of course he had ordered this stuff months ago but just the fact that he recieved so many cases of ammo and primers was a good sign. he sold me a brick of primers for 34 dollars which I thought considering the current situation was a good sign.So dont let yourself get ripped off buying reloading supplies and stop panic buying !
Old April 24, 2009, 11:59 AM   #278
Dragon55

Hopefully yes.....

just got 250 150gr jhp's bullets for .125 ea.
Old April 24, 2009, 12:06 PM   #279
tiberius10721

this morning my local sports shop had just recieved a ton of ammo and primers small and large .he was selling primers 34 a thousand.so dont let yourself be ripped off buying reloading supplies I think the shortage is slowly coming to an end.If you people continue to panic buy you could keep prices high!Maybe 4 to 6 months from now there will be an overproduction of reloading supplies and prices will go down if people stop hoarding.now keep in mind I dont think everybody is panic buying and hoarding and I believe in capitalism but you people that are panic buying or buying more than u normally are know who you are.Im one of them ive been buying more than I normally would but thank god I never paid 60 dollars for a thousand primers that would have been silly!Like right now I have 8 thousand pistol primer and I dont think I need any more for a long time for the amount of shooting I do.From the amount of ammo and reloading supplies I seen this morning at my local sports shop I think these rumors that the military is buying up a 100 percent of all ammo is just untrue.
Old April 24, 2009, 12:08 PM   #280
tiberius10721

Im going to stop buying reloading supplies and see what happens!
Old April 24, 2009, 12:08 PM   #281
Scorch

ATK (owns Federal, CCI-Speer, and a few others) said about 2 months ago that the supply shortages would continue until their new equipment was on line and running, and supply systems were restocked. At that time, they estimated 4 months. It sure would be nice if they got it all done faster than anticipated!
Old April 24, 2009, 12:08 PM   #282
benek

Let's hope it's ending soon. But until people come back to their senses and STOP paying $ 80 a brick on Gunbroker, it will continue.
Old April 24, 2009, 12:15 PM   #283
kscardsfan

Like Ron White said "You can't fix stupid"
Old April 24, 2009, 01:07 PM   #284
tiberius10721

80 dollars a thousand!that is freakin crazy
Old April 24, 2009, 05:10 PM   #285
Mattp27

CCI BR2's instock at midway. To bad that's not what I need!!!!!!!
Old April 24, 2009, 05:34 PM   #286
tpcollins

I went over the prohibited items for Craigs List and it did include ammo but nothing pertaining to reloading equipment or components.
Old April 24, 2009, 06:47 PM   #287
JayCee

I was glad to see my local reloading supplier put limits on how much you can buy at one time. 300 primers, one pound of powder, and 2 boxes of bullets. As a result, there were primers available in almost every size. Still no small rifle primers, however. It's the guys who are buying 5000 at a time that are killing us. Most of them won't use that many primers in 5 years, so they'll sit on the shelf while other folks who just need two or three hundred can't find any...:barf: I'm surprised more retailers haven't instituted similar rules. IMHO, that's the only way we're gonna end the current "shortage".

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old April 24, 2009, 07:42 PM   #288
James R. Burke

Like I been saying I dont believe in over buying, but some limits I dont agree with the new reloader may need a few more, or the guy that shoots comp go thru alot. I like to buy primers by the brick, but only as I need them. Seen to many 100 packs opened up and played with. But I dont buy a brick till I am almost out. I also have my set limits on what I will pay for primers or powder, and I think you are all right on sticking with not overpaying. If that keeps going on you know the prices are going to go up.
Old April 24, 2009, 08:06 PM   #289
tiberius10721

exactly!words of wisdom!my local sportshop here in turlock ca just got a whole bunch of primers of every kind!so if the reloading materials are making it here to central ca it means the primers are starting to flow again so people mellow out before we see permanent price hikes!
Old April 24, 2009, 08:23 PM   #290
more forty fives

hot!! primers

midway has lg pistol primers as of 9:15 go getum CCI THAT IS

Last edited by more forty fives; April 24, 2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: CCI BRAND
Old April 25, 2009, 09:39 AM   #291
Tbone45

Shipping

The problem with ordering primers online is the extra hazardous materials shipping charge. Then 30 dollar primers cost 63 dollars. I guess if there are none locally, then that is the price you have to pay.
Old April 25, 2009, 10:02 AM   #292
RickV

Quote:
The problem with ordering primers online is the extra hazardous materials shipping charge. Then 30 dollar primers cost 63 dollars. I guess if there are none locally, then that is the price you have to pay.
This is true if you are only buying 1000 primers. That is why when I order I get with my friends and we order 10-15k and order powder at the same time PV will ship powder and primers together and will ship upto 48lbs on one hazmat fee toss in no sales tax and it is a good deal.
Old April 25, 2009, 04:49 PM   #293
Tbone45

I'm out of luck then.

Quote:
This is true if you are only buying 1000 primers. That is why when I order I get with my friends and we order 10-15k and order powder at the same time PV will ship powder and primers together and will ship upto 48lbs on one hazmat fee toss in no sales tax and it is a good deal.
I guess I am out of luck then. I don't know anyone else that reloads and haven't found anyone locally that sells reloading supplies. I don't envision myself ordering more than 1000 primers or 1 pound of powder at a time. Well, I'll keep looking for a somewhat close supplier.
Old April 25, 2009, 06:51 PM   #294
Rembrandt

Found these yesterday at a small Mom & Pop gun shop few people frequent....close to 25-30 years old. They've survived numerous primer shortages during that time. Taking the time to go door to door at these obscure little shops has paid off. So far I've been able to snag nearly 30K primers this way

Old April 25, 2009, 07:48 PM   #295
RickV

Tbone45 you would be surprised how fast you can go thru 1000 primers and a pound of powder. Also they have a long shelf life if you store them properly.
Old April 25, 2009, 08:54 PM   #296
Tbone45

Yeah, you're probably right.

Quote:
Tbone45 you would be surprised how fast you can go thru 1000 primers and a pound of powder. Also they have a long shelf life if you store them properly.
I'm probably not as prodigious a reloader as you guys. I used to reload hundreds of lead 12 ga. shells back before steel shot was mandated for waterfowl. That's the only thing I really hunt with a shotgun. When steel came out I couldn't see the advantage of converting my reloader, developing a steel load and all that jazz. I just started buying all my steel shot shells and my Mec JR. has been in the attic for about 25 years. I bought a Lee Loader for my .270 and have neck sized and loaded about 100 cartridges in the last 25 years. I just didn't need that many rounds. Two or three shots to verify zero, one shot, one deer doesn't burn much ammunition.
I decided to start reloading with a press recently for another hobby and really didn't have a clue that everyone was in panic mode until I started looking for supplies. Kinda naive of me but I had no idea. Leave it to me to pick a hobby just when everything is out of stock. I never planned to stockpile ammo or shoot thousands of rounds of ammo.
Like I said, I'll have to range out a little further for local supplies. The only sporting shop here in town doesn't stock any reloading supplies. Everything else is over an hour away.
Old April 26, 2009, 12:59 AM   #297
PowderBurn14

Reloading Components In MN

Hey all, just FYI, everything is in short supply here in Minnesota too. I was able to pick up a pound of Power Pistol powder today, but Scheel's was all out of 9mm bullets and small pistol primers. I hope this ends soon, yikes.
Old April 26, 2009, 05:35 AM   #298
Ed_

Found Some primers

Last Week I was in Maryland on a job and went into a Gander Mountain. I noticed they had reloading supplies so I asked the clerk where are the primers? He said behind the counter. I walked out with 1000 cci 550's and 900Federal small pistol match primers. $3.99 per 100 and flew back to Missouri.
Yes I told TSA that they were in my luggage . They said no problem.
I have since looked at the gander mountain website and as far as I can tell they dont even mention reloading components on their site.
Lesson learned: Dont only rely on the web, go face to face and ask everyone, everwhere.
Old April 26, 2009, 07:42 AM   #299
CTpistol

I agree w ED - I have been searching the web like crazy...and finally got out to some local places yesterday - 2000 Large Rifle primers and 2lbs of powder later..all at prices lower than the web.
Old April 26, 2009, 12:51 PM   #300
tiberius10721

It will end soon if people stop buying 30 thousand primers at a time!relax people shoot a little less buy a little less for a few months and soon the market will be flooded with primers and powder!For example my local gunstore got a boatload of primers and pistol ammunition 2 days ago so I bought one thousand and thats it I dont need anymore than that.If the hoarding continues we will end up with permanent price hikes in everything gun related!black powder pistols are also an awesome alternative .they are fun to shoot and load and you actually end up firing less.the lead balls are easy to make also.so is making the black powder if you have a safe place to do it.Ive been shooting black powder firearms for about the past five months and its far more enjoyable than shooting my other guns my kid likes it to!Now if it looks like President obama is going to get re-elected and the dems get more seats in the house and senate and we get a couple more liberal judges in the supreme court then hoard like crazy and form local militias!