The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Tex S

Breaking a 1911 pistol in with lead bullets

Is this a good idea? I bought a Dan Wesson Marksman and plan on breaking it in this weekend. I have about 800 rounds of the following 45acp load:

5.3 grains W231
200gr Dardas LSWC
C.O.L. 1.245"
Fed 150 primer

This will be the primary target/plinking load I shoot in this pistol. (I hope!)

This load has worked great in my other 1911's, but a few folks that I trust who own DW pistols have instructed me to break in with at least 500 rounds of factory 230gr hardball. They say this decreases feeding issues and helps isolate any would be problems.

I will take this time to say I definately do not plan on buying any factory ammo to break in this pistol. It would be way too expensive, not to mention against my reloading religion.

Should I at least load up some hardball though? I really dont want to because I dont have any FMJ bullets, and I cannot get any by this weekend.

What do yall think?

Last edited by Tex S; March 31, 2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: sp
Old April 1, 2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Edward429451

Well, that load is a might softer than hardball. So maybe it takes 1000 rounds to break it in...so what? Use what you have.
Old April 1, 2009, 04:32 AM   #3
JDG

Them swc bullets, will be a good test for your DW!

Have fun, keep er oiled up!
Old April 1, 2009, 05:59 AM   #4
darkgael

Break in

Of course go with the advice of the folk that you know and trust. But....I wonder about the need for that extensive a break-in. (Or any break in at all).
Personal experience - I don't own a gazillion .45s. I have three - a Colt, a Springfield, a Glock. They all get shot frequently. None were "broken in" at all. They are all super reliable.
I just took'em out of the box and started shooting (reloads all).
I mean - if it doesn't shoot well out of the box, what's the point? What practical good is a gun which may well be used for self-defense if you have to shoot 800 rounds through it before it's reliable (as much fun as that might be)?
Pete
Old April 1, 2009, 09:17 AM   #5
AlaskaMike

There are certainly others more knowledgeable about this than me, but my take on it is that some guns that are really tight from the factory like the Wilson Combat guns benefit from a break in period, but I think few others do. I don't know how tight the Dan Wessons are when they're new though.

I'd say fire one or two hundred of your preferred load, and if it's reliable then consider it broken in.

Mike
Old April 1, 2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Sevens

If it's the full metal jacketed nature of the loads that smooth out feed ramps and barrel rifling, and that's why they recommend them for "break in", then I don't see why you couldn't simply shoot a supply of hardball through it at some later date when you feel like you have the components or want to do it. Or, to put that thought another way... no, I don't think shooting 500 rounds of LSWC is going to take away the break in that the hardball was meant to do.

I think they recommend hardball because hardball is the most likely to feed and the least likely to create a stoppage, and they would like to see the pistol run hard for a few hundred loads to get the pistol running in fine order. Hardball is a nice, stiff load and will feed the most reliably in any semi-auto handgun just by it's nature.

Please note that I am about 500 miles from an expert in the art of breaking in a new firearm in any caliber or platform. I'm no gunsmith, I don't build handguns and I don't alter them, either, so these are merely my opinions.

But if I couldn't reload for it, I probably wouldn't want to buy it! (oustide of the obvious rimfire, of course)
Old April 1, 2009, 10:18 PM   #7
bluetopper

That's why you reload isn't it? I would use my SWC's and not bat an eye in doing so.

I have 2 DW's and they are first rate. They run like Singer sewing machines.
Old April 1, 2009, 10:28 PM   #8
Sarge

Most of the break-in story is nonsense. I have shot untold numbers of the H&G 68 or its equivalent through numerous 1911's and I am convinced that when loaded to 1.250" in decent brass, firmly taper crimped and with sufficient powder to cycle the action, it is fully as reliable as ball. This bullet was specifically designed to mimic ball's feed profile and shoot with match accuracy. It remains one of the finest examples of true engineering genius.
Old April 2, 2009, 04:59 PM   #9
captain-03

Go for it -- it was made to shoot --- I really would be mad if I wasted $$s on 800rds hardball and then went to my reloads and they would not function properly!!
Old April 2, 2009, 05:04 PM   #10
guntotin_fool

shoot what ever you want. all ball is just a myth.
Old April 2, 2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Cloudpeak

Ditto to Sarge's post.

I have 680 rounds of Lyman 200gr SWC loads through my new CBOB with zero problems. The Lyman is a close copy of the H&G 68 (more so than the Lee designs I shot for awhile in my Springfield's and I did have a few FTF's with that bullet.)

Come to think of it, I've "broken in" all of my pistols with lead reloads. Two Springfield's, D.W. CBOB, STI Trojan, CZ Compact, M&P, CW9 and XD40SC.

I did have a couple of magazine related problems with the CZ and Trojan feeding the Lee 105 gr SWC. Springfield 9mm mags for the Trojan solved the problem in the STI and going to 124 grain RN in the CZ solved the problem. Both pistols now run 100%.

Cloudpeak