The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 10, 2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Pahoo

RedDot Usage Question.

First off, Have to admit that I am no longer into competition shooting of any kind. I do shoot often and quite a variety. My question is about the usage of RedDot type sights. I see that they are in common use by pistol shooters. I have been using RedDots for a number of years, on just about anything except bows and am fairly familiar with them. I also find that I am handicapped if I don't keep both eyes open. Any any and all imput would be appreciated. .....

Where do you place the Dot in relation to the target?
Do you go to the standard 6-oclock postion or what?
Do you keep both eye open?
How do you move so fast from one target to another?

Be Safe !!!
Old July 10, 2010, 12:36 PM   #2
l98ster

I set my red dot so point of aim and point of impact is the same. Basically, put the dot on the target and squueze. No 6 oclock position for me.

I also shoot with both eyes open. For one, it give you a broader view of your target and surroundings, and for me, it is easier to pick up the dot from a draw.

As far as transitioing to the next target, the both eyes open thing REALLY helps. Your gun should be following your eyes, not the other way around. Your eyes should be on the next target before your gun even starts to move to it. This takes lots of practice as its not a very natural feel. However, learning this technique DRAMATICALLY increases target aquisition and transistioning.

-George
Old August 23, 2010, 06:02 AM   #3
Jesse Tischauser

I keep my focus on the target rather than on the dot. When the dot is superimposed on the target I squeeze the trigger without moving my visual focus from the target to the dot.
To make a fast target transition you first snap your eyes to the next target. Then your head and then you drive the gun to where your eyes and head are and the process starts all over again.

U have to shoot with both eyes open or you are giving up half of your sensory input.

I choose a POI that is optimal for my dot. For IPSC that would be roughly 25 yards. Then I shoot the gun from 1-50 yards and take note if where the bullets land. You still need to be aware of sight offset on the close stuff even with those mini red dots on pistols.
Old August 23, 2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

You say you have been using them. What works for you?
When I had an Aimpoint on my Redhawk I just put the dot where I wanted to shoot and pulled the trigger.
I was never able to learn to shoot with both eyes open.
Old August 23, 2010, 10:14 AM   #5
Jesse Tischauser

I have a cmire sts riding on the if my Glick 17. I have Burris made aimpoint lime dot on my M&P practice AR. I have an accupint TR24 with the green dot in the Herman number 4 reticle on my competition rifle.

I couldn't shoot both eyes open when I first started either. I had to dry fire every night fir about teo weeks before I could draw my pistol and the front site was in ficus correctly with both eyes open. With the fit sites it's a kit easier you just keep both eyes open and look past the optic.
Some people with cross dominance or heavy strong eye dominance have a tough time. On long iron sight shots I sometimes have ti squint my left eye to force my right eye to take over.
Old August 23, 2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Pahoo

Quote:
You say you have been using them. What works for you?
I too superimpose the dot on the target. I naturally gravitated to this and it comes second nature. I really don't remember seeing the dot but instead, the target. I don't give it much thought.

Years ago, I learned to shoot with both eyes open and have taught my kids and not my Grankids to do so. It doesn't come easy to them but I am patient and it will. I also start my kids on open sights as for now, scope usage encourages them to keep one eye closed. Thanks guys, for your usual fine input.

Be Safe !!!