The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2006, 07:11 PM   #1
kimberDW1884

45acp Reloading

I Am A Wounded Marine Stuck At Home And Have Decided To Take Up Relaoding As A Hobby I Just Need A Couple Of People To Give Me Some Tips And Answer My Questions So If Anyone Out There Can Help Let Me Know Also You Need Large Pistol Primer For 45 Acp Right Cuz My Buddy Said He Saw Some Small Pistol Primer At His Range And I Was Shocked So If Hes Right I Need To See This
Old June 22, 2006, 07:19 PM   #2
steveno

I think some of the "non-toxic ammo use a small pistol primer but normally a large pistol primer is standard
Old June 22, 2006, 09:57 PM   #3
rwilson452

45ACP primer

If memory serves me correctly the 45GAP uses the small pistol primer. this case can be mistaken for the .45ACP as they are almost the same differing in length slightly. 45ACP uses Large pistol primers. I like the Winchester. Then again my Colt 1991A1 eats anything I feed it so that might not tell you anything.
Old June 22, 2006, 10:19 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Tip No 1.
Get the book
Tip No 2.
Get at least a couple of books.
'The ABC's of Reloading' is pretty good and a handloading manual from Lyman or one of the bullet companies will give you a decent background.
All the powder companies furnish FREE booklets with load data for their products.
Tip No 3.
Get a catalog from Midway, they are the biggest dealer in reloading supplies and equipment in the country... including books, if I haven't already mentioned that. Print catalogs are easier to browse than www sites.
www.Midwayusa.com

You might well want to go straight to a progressive loader for .45 ACP, call Dillon, tell them you are a Marine and they will surely send you a Blue Press with their products described. They have videos of their machines in operation and they sell general manuals and books, in case you might need some of those.
http://dillonprecision.com/default.cfm?

Folks here and other boards are helpful but you cannot learn everything you need to know one question at a time on the internet. Read up.
Old June 23, 2006, 10:02 AM   #5
contender6030

I use almost all aliiant powder in my reloading they have info on the net, here's their websight---- www.alliantpowder.com
Another place to get reloading equip is www.midsouthshooterssupply.com
Old June 23, 2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Poygan

The .45acp is a good round to start with in an autoloader, because it isn't a high pressure cartridge compared to 9mm or 40S&W.
I would recommend a single stage reloader like the RCBS Rockchucker as opposed to the Dillon...much simpler to operate and to learn on than a progressive.
The first Richard Lee book "Modern Reloading" is good to have and has a lot of reloading data in it. Additional data can be obtained on line from the powder manufacturers.
The amount you can spend has a lot to do with what you start with for equipment.
Always be careful and conservative. Start with the beginning loads listed in the reloading data. Top end loads are seldom the most accurate and are harder on the brass, the pistol and you. I don't load more than 50 when I'm developing a load and usually half that. In an autoloader (I'm assuming based on your name), there has to be enough power to cycle the action but not so much that it slamming the action.
Enjoy the learning process! While its not an overly complicated process, there is always more to be learned. This to me is what makes reloading and bullet casting such a rewarding hobby.
Continue to ask questions. You'll find that most of us love to share info with new folks.
Old June 23, 2006, 06:37 PM   #7
amamnn

small pistol primers in .45acp

There are some .45 acp factory rounds with small pistol primers installed. There were some Russian .45 acp cartridges floating around for a while with them. Federal's American Eagle was one years back for sure. I don't know if it is anymore or not. This is another good reason not to pick up range brass, although tiny primer pockets can't hurt you.
I've never bought any .45 acp brass that was made for the smaller primer; it should not be a problem.
Old June 23, 2006, 07:09 PM   #8
John28226

Works for me

Some people reload as a hobby and shoot only to have empty brass; I reload so that I can afford to shoot! I only load .45ACP.

My press is a Dillion 450 I bought in the early 1980s - it still works just fine. I do not use the priming feature but use a Lee Auto Prime instead.

My revolvers have some very light triggers so primers are an issue. I have found that Federal #150s (large pistol) ignite every time; CCI most of the time and Winchester slightly less often.

I buy once fired brass (Southern Belle has the best prices for the quality in my experience) and use the brass until it splits.

Ball powders work best for me and meter more consistantly - Winchester 231 and the like. Bullseye is O.K. but Unique is, in my view, dirty.

In addition to a good press you will need an accurate scale - mine is a balance type not a digital but either will work.

I scale check often and have a light positioned so that I can peer into the case and see the level of powder. I have a bullet puller in case I worry about a specific round.

I buy most of my bullets from Midway and like the Rainier plated. The 185 gr. jacketed flat point feeds well in my semi autos and loads quickly in my revolvers with moon clips.

I have never seen .45 ACP brass that used a small pistol primer but that does not mean it does not exist. I also have a primer pocket reamer tool to clean out the primer pocket for military brass - which has gotten more difficult to obtain.

Hope some of this helps. Yes, buy a reloading book or two and read before you load. Always begin with the lighter loads and work up.

Good luck and I hope you heal quickly and completely.
John
Charlotte, NC - where taxes are born and raised, and raised.......
Old June 24, 2006, 09:09 PM   #9
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

First off, Kimber, thank you for your service and sacrifice.

You'll really enjoy reloading, I think, but the others are correct; the manuals are extremely important. Start with the minimum suggested loads, and gradually work up from there until you find your optimum load. Never experiment with loads outside the ranges suggested in the reloading manuals!

One other thing that I didn't see mentioned is, never, ever sit down to a reloading session when you're distracted. Have an argument with the wife? Don't reload. Problems at work have you grinding your teeth? Don't reload. Daydreaming about Paris Hilton? DEFINITELY don't reload!!

Seriously, when you're reloading, your attention absolutely, positively must be 100% devoted to what you're doing. It's far, far easier than you might think to double-load a case, especially with faster burning powders like Winchester 231 or Bullseye, and that can lead to a ka-boom, and (another) trip to the hospital .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 25, 2006, 07:10 AM   #10
sundog

Kimber, thank you for your service. How long is your recovery time?

You picked a good place to hang out here. Good people. Here's another web site to look at: http://www.reload-nrma.com/ sundog
Old June 25, 2006, 09:54 AM   #11
kimberDW1884

ive been down for 5 months now and have another 2-3 before ill be able to walk correctly without any help so i have some time still and i am gona be spending as much of it as i can reloading other than my fiance its just me around so i just sneek away to the basement and work on all of my projects but reloading is now my number 1 priority! thanks for the link and everyone else for all the help!