The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 10, 2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Anthrax

Wild Boar Hunt with an 18" shotgun

Greetings!

Just joined the forum. I've been a bystander for a while now but decided I should join this amazing forum to fully benefit.

My first question is related to wild boars. Big fan of boar hunts, haven't had a chance to kill one yet. Own a 12 Gauge pump-action shotgun (18" barrel) and was wondering if I could hunt me some boars with it. What kind of loads (Apart from slugs) do you guys prefer? Because I've heard somewhere that accuracy with a slug is a hit or a miss so better use some 00 buckshot to hunt a boar. Suggestions?

Where I come from, we use SG 12 Gauge shells for boar hunts. 9 lead projectiles, 8.5mm (or something) each. Is that a good choice? Will it actually hit something at 30-35 meters from an 18" barrel?

Looking forward to your responses,

Anthrax
Old July 10, 2010, 05:10 PM   #2
ammo.crafter

boars

What is the average size of the boars you intend to hunt?
Is there a restrictrion on slugs where you hunt?

Keep in mind that large boars are capable of absorbing a great amount of punishment. I would not be secure using anything other than a slug from a shotgun. The 18-inch barrel has no consideration.
Old July 10, 2010, 06:11 PM   #3
midnightrider

buy some 3 inch one ounce slugs and take them to the range. See how they group from a rest at fifty yds. The reciol will be brutal but I have done it before. put a towel between your shoulder and the recoil pad on the shotgun. if its got a nice recoil pad you should have nothing to worry about.

when hunting load the first three bukshot and the last two slugs so if you miss with the slugs and if he charges I know a hedshot with 00 buck will stop him up close.
Old July 10, 2010, 06:43 PM   #4
briandg

Again, how big are those hogs?

I don't like the idea of buckshot, even very heavy loads, espeically since you might be presented with a facial shot, during a charge. I would use slugs, but that is my opinion.
Old July 10, 2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Anthrax

Thanks for the feed back guys, I'll answer the questions one by one;

1. No restriction on slugs while hunting. Boars have been declared as "Pests" in our country since forever. Hunt is legal, and slugs are also legal.

2. Average size of boars;

Large size boars;

Hogzilla's are also common, here's a respected hunter (Mr Danish Ali) from my Country that shot this boar;

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqWoG6J

So I guess you guys get the idea. We mostly have "Razorbacks" around here.

By the way, I also have a .357 Magnum revolver (8 Shot) which I bought specially as a backup weapon for my boar hunts. But I'm confused about the shotgun as I bought one for HD, but now feel like shootin' up some boars with it.
Old July 10, 2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Anthrax

Some more hunts by Mr Danish Ali. Just for the sake of size reference, these are all from my country and shot by Mr Danish and Co.

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1hQYg9

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqWx6p9
Old July 10, 2010, 08:10 PM   #7
midnightrider

the pics of the hogs shot by Mr danish did not come up. try to post a link to where the hogs are.

you mentioned 35 yds, a spread from a 20 inch barrel at that distance would be kinda big. If you can set up a 4x8 sheet of plywood covered in paper and see how big the group is from your 20 inch barrel thats is what I would do but then again my pump is for birds and has a full lenght barrel. I would still like to know for sure how big the spread was before I took it hunting hogs.

your sidearm you mentioned the 357 mag. would be great for hunting hogs. just dont use hollow point bullets. some would say its a little light but with hard cast lead bullets (LBTs) it could do the job just fine. I have a 7.5 inch barrel 454 casull revolver that I bought for hunting and use as a primary weapon and have shot hogs dead at 50yds, one shot, from a rest sitting down.

also your user name and location dont fly. if you can change it people will think you are a terrorist
Old July 10, 2010, 08:19 PM   #8
Anthrax

MidNightRider:

Thanks for the info! I've heard that .357 Mag is a very potent caliber to hunt hogs. But my Revolver has a 4 Inch ported barrel so of course, long range shots would be compromised.

About my location and Screen-name; LOL! I hear you man, but the screen-name is my favorite thrash metal band from 80's, but people do tend to think of it as "Disease Only". What can I say, I'm stuck in a sticky situation!

P.S, the pictures are showing up at my end. Dunno what's the problem!
Old July 10, 2010, 11:14 PM   #9
midnightrider

oh ok LOL, I like that band too.

yeah give it a try on a 4x8 sheet of plywood see what the spread is. the ones in the pics look good. are those razorbacks? they look alot different from the Russian strain boar we have here in Florida.

that is a great backup pistol. I am going to get a short barrel 44 mag for concealed carry. I see alot of hogs and gators when I am fishing for bass.
Old July 11, 2010, 11:54 AM   #10
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

What kind of sights on your shotgun, rifle sights or ghost ring I would just go ahead and use slugs and stay under 60 yards, That is what my Winchester semi-auto with hi viz rifle sights is set up for. My Mossberg and Winchester pump 20 gauge guns one with scope and one with rifled barrel and rifle sights are good to 100 but they are 26" barrels and my sight radius is better.

I know some who use buckshot and are happy with it but it gives me the willies when I look at a 00 shot and compare it to a Brenneke slug from either 20 or 12 gauge.

Just dos centavos from an old dinosaur
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 11, 2010, 05:24 PM   #11
Anthrax

Old Grump;

No fancy sights, just a bead. It's basically your average 12 Gauge pump action with a 7+1 capacity. I think the barrel is 20" not 18 as previously stated by me. Just checked!
Old July 11, 2010, 05:51 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

I'd use slugs and I'd experiment until I found a load that grouped reasonably well from the gun I planned to use. Then I'd restrict the range of my hunting shots to the distance I discovered that I could consistently keep all my shots in the killzone of a hog when shooting from the position most likely to be employed while hunting.

By the way, with regard to the first picture of Mr. Danish Ali. If he is going to try to make his hogs look bigger by sitting way behind them, he should remember to take his pictures in the daytime. When you're so far away that the flash doesn't properly illuminate you like it does the foreground of the picture, it's sort of a dead giveaway.
Old July 11, 2010, 05:54 PM   #13
TX Hunter

Anthrax

Yes you can kill hogs with your Shotgun, and 00 Buckshot.
But remember, your range will be limited.
I wouldnt shoot one with that past 30 yards or so.
Old July 11, 2010, 06:09 PM   #14
Anthrax

JohnKsa;

Haha, Nice catch.

Thanks guys for the advices. I think I'll check out the 00 buckshot pattern soon at 30 meters and see if its good enough to down one. If not, then Brenneke slugs are available here. Slugs and a .357 Mag would go along nicely I think.
Old July 21, 2010, 09:25 PM   #15
samsmix

As an avid user of "00" buck on deer, I would say blast away, but adhere to a STRICT 25 yard limit, 35yards with the 3"/15pellet load. If you have rifle sights try some slugs. Foster type rifled slugs with a smooth bore and rifle sights are usually good for 3" at 50 yards, 6-7" at 100 yards.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?