The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 9, 2015, 03:56 AM   #1
Theohazard

SilencerCo Salvo: first impression and even a little range time.

I work at an FFL/SOT and I recently got a chance to demo the new SilencerCo Salvo 12 ga. silencer. My first impression was, "Holy cow, this thing is huge!" Seriously, it's a lot bigger in person than I expected. Somehow I had the impression that it was just a little bigger than the .45 Osprey. But it's a lot bigger than that. Now that I think about it, of course it makes sense that a 12 ga. silencer would be pretty big, but I guess I just had a hard time picturing it in my head.

So, a little bit about the can other than its size: I expected an indexing system similar to the Osprey's, but it's a simple threaded collar that mounts on the adapter that fits to the choke threads. I didn't get a chance to play with the adapter, so I can't tell you much more than that (other than the fact that it's not included with the can).

And it turns out that there's a caveat to the modularity of the can: You have to buy separate parts to take advantage of that feature. The Salvo is designed with removable sections that enable the can to be shortened for more maneuverability (at the cost of less sound suppression). And that means you need to replace the rods that surround the bore with shorter rods to accommodate the new shorter length. Not a big deal, but it's just something that prospective owners should be aware of.

Now to the actual range time. I was shooting the full-length Salvo attached to a Benelli Black Eagle. Surprisingly, the can didn't add as much weight to the end of the gun as I expected. It definitely made the shotgun more unwieldy, but it was still comfortable to shoot and it cut recoil considerably. And the sound was pretty good; with light loads it sounded like a suppressed .45, and with regular loads it sounded similar to a suppressed 5.56.

I'd like to get more time with this can and fully explore how it sounds at an outdoor range and in the shorter configurations. As it is now I probably wouldn't buy this can for myself, at least not yet; it's just too large to be practical for me. But it's a brand-new design, and that means it's almost certainly going to improve rapidly over the next few years. And I look forward to seeing those improvements.
Old January 9, 2015, 08:35 PM   #2
el_chupo_

I shot it on a Rem 870, and while it did an impressive job at reducing sound and recoil, I was a bit surprised at the weight and how it felt. Its not like it felt like a pull in the end of the barrel, but it didnt feel as comfortable moving and swinging, and it wasnt like just having a longer barrel (or even 2 bbls in an O/U config). I am not sure what I expected, and it wasnt bad, just different.

It wasnt really distracting to use, but I dont think I would buy one either. But then, I dont hunt, so when I am using the shotgun there are others with me, so I would still be using ears like everyone else.

Last edited by el_chupo_; January 12, 2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old January 9, 2015, 09:21 PM   #3
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_chupo_
it didnt feel as comfortable moving and swinging, and it wasnt like just having a longer barrel
I shot it at an indoor range, so I didn't get a chance to see how it swung.

Tags
salvo , silencer , silencerco , suppressor