The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 9, 2013, 05:30 PM   #1
2tango2

Sig 522 question regarding set screw for gas block

I purchased a 522 last night. Sure psyched to get it out on the range as it came with optics

In any event I broke it all down today to give it a good cleaning. It must have been hiding in the back room as the build date was April 2011 and was pretty dry.

I noticed there was some play in the "gas block" which also holds the grips in place and where a front sight would go

When I took the grips off the block was so loose that it slid out of the groove that the set screw sits in to hold it in place

Does anyone know what size and type of wrench I'd need to tighten the set screw back in place so it doesn't wiggle (the gas block )?

And maybe a weird question but for those of you who have removed the gas block......when you tighten things up do you seat the block as far forward as you can towards the muzzle or do you snug it down closer to the butt so the hand guards are in tighter?

Thanks for any info you might have! I called Sig but the gunsmiths had left or the day and the CS rep didn't know

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357770859.664283.jpg (237.9 KB, 10 views)
Old January 9, 2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

It's probably a very small hex head. But the gas block is purely for the sight, since the 522 is blowback operated and doesn't need gas to cycle.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:16 PM   #3
2tango2

You know I found my allen wrench set and none of the wrenches fit

The 2.5 is too big and the 2 is too small. Maybe the are the wrong type of wrench?

I do have a Star Bit T-27 that feels like it fits but not sure if too many ridges on that bit. I don't want to strip it out

Maybe it is SAE sizes??

Yes, it is just for decoration but it isn't tight, I just want to tighten it down.
Old January 10, 2013, 02:29 PM   #4
2tango2

Fwiw, Sig got back to me and it is a 3/32 Allen wrench for the set screw. Some useless trivia lol