The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 23, 2011, 11:02 AM   #1
cmdc

Mini 14 Qs

I started a thread in the general discussion forum about boat guns, and got a lot of great advice. Everyone was pretty much in agreement that I should get a Mini 14 for that purpose, and having looked at Ruger's website, I am wondering which one would be best. Obviously the stainless steel with synthetic stock for use on a boat on the Gulf Coast, but what else should I consider, i.e. folding stock, etc., space being at somewhat of a premium on a boat? Also optics. Also, I have shied away from the Minis in the past because of the accuracy issues I have read about, but I understand from reading lots of posts, that the new ones are considerably more accurate.
Old May 23, 2011, 12:03 PM   #2
stu925

You'll definitely want stainless and synthetic, if you want a folding stock, you'll have to go to the aftermarket for that. The tactical model features a collapsible stock but it's only available in a blue version. There are a bunch of aftermarket stocks available so your best bet is going to be to pick up the stainless/synthetic ranch rifle and buy an aftermarket stock if you want a folder. As for optics, if it's going to get knocked around a bit I'd just leave it Irons. If not I'd probably go with a 1-4x scope, my Mini currently wears a 3-9x Simmons which will be taken off as soon as I'm done working up loads for the rifle. I haven't decided if I'll go with the Irons or pick up a 1-4x which will be plenty of magnification for it's intended range (100yds and under). I'm sure you'll enjoy the Mini-14 platform, they're a blast to shoot and reasonably accurate (my best group with my stock Mini-14 is 1.5" at 100yds). Charlie6.org has a lot of Mini-14/30 info if you're interested
Old May 23, 2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Crosshair

+1 on the stainless synthetic.

As for folding stocks, the only one I have dinked around with to any great degree is the Butler Creek Folder. A good solid folding stock.

As for optics, the Bushnell 1.5-4.5x32 scope has served me well. Zoomed out to 1.5x it is effectively a dot sight while 4.5x makes the longer shots much easier. It is compact too and inexpensive enough that you won't be afraid to put it on a boat rifle. Irons on the new Mini's are very good, so check out the rifle and see how you like it before putting a scope on.

Old May 23, 2011, 01:33 PM   #4
justjim75

i have the tactical with ATI's folding/collapsable stock and i love it. i'd say reddot sight but with the sun on the water that might not work. if i do my part i can get 1-2" groups at 100yds. also, the ATI has rails on it if you need to install a light
Old May 23, 2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Bamashooter

The ATI stock is ok. I have a tapco on mine. I guess it depends what kind you want.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:09 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Seems to me that the primary need for a boat gun would be for self-defense. The Mini is as accurate for that purpose as any other semi-auto .223.

The hard part is hitting anything at all, no matter what rifle, if you're on a boat. I guess you could practice by shooting from the bed of a pickup, driving across a halfway-smooth pasture. I've tried the shooting thing, out in the Gulf of Mexico on a fairly calm day. I failed to impress myself with my prowess.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:26 PM   #7
the rifleer

If its a boat gun, I would not bother with a scope.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:46 PM   #8
Nickel Plated

I wouldn't bother with a scope either. Also I can't imagine that a folder really makes the gun signifcantly smaller for storage. If you can't fit a full stock rifle on the boat, you probably won't fit a folded one either. But I was never a fan of folders on a Mini except the factory Ruger ones with the wood stock. The new Minis are supposed to be accurate enough out to 200-300 yards. Also putting an Accu-Strut and a flash-hider or muzzle-brake (any bit of extra weight on the end of the barrel) should tighten up those groups some more.

Though I prefer a wood and blued look, for a boat gun, you would be right in choosing the stainless model.
Old May 24, 2011, 05:10 AM   #9
cmdc

Thanks, gentlemen. Mr. Eatman, that was very funny. I think I'll try that when I get back home. It also makes sense to stick with iron sights for that reason, though I hadn't thought of it. It's the same reason you don't want 20x binoculars on a boat, they're hard enough to hold steady on dry land. I also get what you're saying about the folding stock not saving that much room. The boat is a 45 ft. SeaRay, so fairly good sized, but I'm going to see what I have for storage when I pick it up tomorrow(Wed.). 45 ft sounds big, but you'd be surprised how little extra room there is on it, especially when you're trying to stash a 3 ft rifle or shotgun somewhere where it can be reasonably well hidden and still accessible.

On another note, someone on the other thread said it was legal to ship firearms to yourself, but I can't find a definitive answer to that, does anyone have any input, or can you tell where to look? suppose I could just ask the USPS, UPS, or FedEx people.
Old May 24, 2011, 06:34 AM   #10
Icopy1

I would also consider a tactical sling. The last thing you want is your Mini-14 to end up in the drink while your shooting it.
Old May 24, 2011, 07:59 AM   #11
Nickel Plated

Get a gun you're willing to lose, incase of an "unfortunate boating accident". They happen more often than you think. Just ask anyone on this forum.

So many guns lost to the seas.

Lol, couldn't help myself
Old May 24, 2011, 08:35 AM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

It is legal to mail a long gun to yourself in care of another person so long as that person does not open the package. (I've only recently read of that restriction.) But I have mailed long guns to myself, to an address in another state. No problem. Any problem will come from ignorance of the law on the part of a post office person.

But let's not belabor this particular issue with anecdotes...
Old May 24, 2011, 08:55 AM   #13
cmdc

Thanks for the clarification on the mailing-gun-to-self issue. I am definitely going to get the Mini14, but it would sorely trouble me to lose it in an 'accident', and not to change horses here, but I have a Keltec SU16c that is a bit cheaper than a Mini, so any input on using it instead; or at least for a while, til I get familiar with the territory, so to speak, or is the Mini just a better way to go all round? Kind of a run-on sentence there, sorry.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:13 AM   #14
PTS1

If you already have an SU-16, just use that as a boat gun. Keep it oiled and cleaned and it should serve you well. The stainless mini is more corrosion resistent, but if you do not keep it oiled and clean, it well rust just as bad as a blued rife, just may take a little longer to do so.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:20 AM   #15
cmdc

Thanks, I'll do that, at least to start with, but I'm still gettin' a stainless synthetic Mini. Now that I've read all the nice things people say about them, I can't believe I waited this long. Seems they're a classic that everybody should have, like a .30-30 and a 1911.
Old May 24, 2011, 03:34 PM   #16
RKG

My boat gun is a stainless Winchester 1300 12-gauge shotgun.
Old May 24, 2011, 04:49 PM   #17
Skans

FWIW, I really like the synthetic factory Ruger stock. If you don't need a folding stock, I would stick with the Factory stock - they are well made, comfortable, rock solid, and look really nice with the stainless guns.
Old May 24, 2011, 06:20 PM   #18
justjim75

not trying to be funny, are you worried about pirates or what? why do you need a gun on your boat? i have an AR-7 survival rifle that floats but it's a .22 with 8 round mags. wouldnt be effective on anything more than snakes and catfish ! if it's for self defense then the mini is superb. for pirates i'd go with "penetrator" rounds to put 31 little holes in their boat. do you like the kel-tec? if you really want to save space you could go with a stainless sub-2000 in 9mm with glock grips. that would fit in a tackle bag
Old May 24, 2011, 06:57 PM   #19
stu925

Might consider picking up a couple of these bags for corrosion resistant storage. Should keep the sea water away from them, oil 'em up real good, put them in the bag and store them.

Stu
Old May 24, 2011, 09:54 PM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

justjim, a 45' boat does not strike me as a typical inland-waters critter. I tend to think of the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean or the Bahamas (and south) as cruising areas. There is no telling whatsoever as to what sort of hostility might arise.

Me being a devout coward with a yellow racing stripe, I'd be thinking about box magazines, tracers and a whole bunch of practice.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:17 AM   #21
justjim75

i'm with you art, but his sig says he's in kansas city, mo
Old May 25, 2011, 06:29 AM   #22
cmdc

Just to clarify for you guys, yes, my sig is KC, but we have a home (condo) in Clearwater Beach FL, and The Boss decided she wanted a boat, hence the 45 ft. SeaRay here on the Gulf Coast. We will be making open-water crossings as well as cruising up and down the inter-coastal and Gulf Coast. Probably not any major concerns around these areas, but when you stray too far from shore, you never know. Most of the people I've talked to down here do carry some type of firearm aboard. I realize I don't need an arsenal, but definitely want something handy, JIC. The guy who I've hired to maintain and run the boat when we're not here, who is a certified captain, carries an AK on his boats when he's doing dive excursions.

And I, too, am with Art. Situations have come up, though rarely, and I'll be getting plenty of practice out in open water. Not sure what we'll be shooting at yet for practice, but it'll be fun I'm sure. Don't want to trash the Gulf.

Also, I have found out from the experts down here that when going, say, to the Bahamas, the authorities there don't like rifles at all, but are OK with you having and declaring shotguns and handguns. They store them and return them to you when you depart. Their biggest concern is people going aboard and stealing guns, not with the boaters themselves. There is also scuttlebutt down here about Cuba being opened up in the near future, so maybe a new place to cruise to soon. ISOM(the island south of Miami, as it's referred to) is 3 hrs from Key West, where we are heading for a week-long cruise in late July.

I'll be sure and have a rum drink for each of you, since you've all been so helpful.
Old May 25, 2011, 06:48 AM   #23
cmdc

And back on the subject of the Mini, I, too, like the look of the standard synthetic stock on the stainless, and that's what I'll probably stick with unless I think I need a folder on it. I looked at a tactical version, and being left-handed, the folding stock is set up wrong for me; the hinge is right where I grip the gun with my left hand.
Old May 25, 2011, 08:57 AM   #24
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Floating target? I'd likely use a 3' x 3' piece of plywood as a base. Nail an upright piece of 2x4 in the middle and nail a piece of tin to it, maybe 18" diameter. Sinkable targets like milk jugs and beer cans cause bad thoughts among divers.

And the shadow of the plywood is attractive to the little school dolphin, which are great eating! Two lines, always keeping one fish on the hook while putting the other catch into the fishbox. The school will hang around as long as one of them is on the hook. (For those who don't know, the dolphin fish is served in restaurants as mahi-mahi. We're not talking "Flipper", here. )

Dunno 'bout nowadays, but April off Islamarada or Key Largo used to be great for king mackerel and five-pound cow dolphin. Makes me hungry, just thinking about it.
Old May 25, 2011, 02:56 PM   #25
justjim75

i'd be very wary of pirates way down there then. the mini with a beta mag would probably be a good deterent. tell you what, just take me scuba diving when you go and i'll deckhand(my high school grad present was an apartment in panama city beach and a job deckin on a scuba charter boat), cook, and work "security" with my mini !!