The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 15, 2010, 08:01 PM   #1
bcrash15

Bent mouth on caliber converters

This is the second caliber converter (7.62x54R to .32) I received for a Mosin, both the original and the replacement came exactly the same.

Should I try for a third or I'm to the point where if I can easily repair this I would rather just do that than deal with the hassle. I'm kind of scared to do any sort of "fire forming" type solution considering this thing is carbon steel not brass.
Old February 15, 2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Don H

As thin as that steel is, I, personally, wouldn't hesitate to fire a round through it to straighten it out. The Mosin will certainly handle the extra bit of pressure.
Old February 16, 2010, 01:03 AM   #3
LukeA

I think I would tap the shank of a 19/64" drill bit through or spin the cutting end of a dull 5/16" bit backwards to bend it most of the way back first.
Old February 16, 2010, 07:52 PM   #4
bcrash15

Sounds like a plan, get it roughly back in shape and then shoot it out. I guess I just need to be aware on the first round if the bullet is deformed badly enough it might not seal well and get stuck in the barrel, so I'll have to check for that. Thanks for the advice guys!