The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 23, 2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Southern Shooter

Edited: Glock 17 & 147 Grain 9mm JHP @ 1,000+ FPS for a Trail Gun??

Firstly, I like Jeff Quinn's definition of a trail gun:
Quote:
A trail gun, to me , is the gun which you carry when doing something else. A tool to ride unobtrusively on the hip or in the pocket to fill the job when the need arises.
http://www.gunblast.com/little_big_gun.htm

Typically, this bullet would be considered for 2-legged predators. But, I am wondering...in the woods as a Trail Gun...is the 147 grain 9mm JHP @ a little faster than 1,000 FPS worth carrying?

Not sure if round capacity would be important in this consideration...but, the capacity would be 17 rounds.

Opinions? Experiences? Does anybody even carry such when they are in the woods or out for a day hike?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; July 23, 2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Modifying Title from "woods protection" to "Trail Gun"
Old July 23, 2012, 10:04 AM   #2
mete

Protection from what ?
9mm rounds are for people and the 147 was designed for a subsonic accurate SMG round .
Protection ? get a 357, 41mag. 44mag ,45 Colt .For autos a 10mm or 45acp .
For the big things that go bump in the night ,the larger rounds can be equipped with Hunting bullets [Corbon DPX,Swift A-frame, Speer Deep Curl], rather than people bullets.
Old July 23, 2012, 10:59 AM   #3
jmr40

It depends. I quite often carry my G-26 or C-19 on trails where there is no possibility of bear encounters. In almost any situation where you might need a gun in the woods it will be for 2 legged predators and I'd plan for that 1st. A 9mm is as good as any and better than most for that use.

When hiking where bear live I carry a G-20 with hot 200 gr. hard cast bullets @1300 fps in 1 mag and a 2nd mag with 155 gr HP ammo for 2 legged threats. I think this is the best compromise handgun for my uses.

But sometimes you have to run with what you have. If a 9mm is what I had, and no bear was a possibility I'd be perfectly content to carry it with any load I had confidence with in town. While not ideal, if the threat of larger predators were a possibility then that would be the load I'd carry.

Black bear are not bulletproof nor hard to kill. You don't need a 44 mag for any of them. A 357 or 10mm is more than enough and 9mm, 45, and 40, while not ideal, are much better than many give them credit for. And certainly better than nothing. While there are rare 400-600 black bear they almost never bother humans. They don't live long enough to get that big by hanging around humans. The average size of problem bears are young 150-200 lb bear that are no tougher than a very athletic human of the same size.
Old July 23, 2012, 11:06 AM   #4
chewie146

I wouldn't feel undergunned around here with it, but I'm more likely to encounter a cottontail than a bear. It's up to you. If you shoot it well, and aren't in big bear country, I don't see why it wouldn't work fine.