The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 9, 2012, 04:25 PM   #26
Cheapshooter

Quote:
original boston pd 870
Key words! It started out as a police shotgun, not a nice field gun with a decent stock, nice bluing, and a vent rib barrel.
What's next in the Bubbazation, flat black Krylon from Home Depot?

One interesting note would be to know what he paid for the gun to start with.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 9, 2012, 04:41 PM   #27
iamdb

I'd suggest bead blast, then parker, topped with cerakote. He wants a HD shotty, not a field hunter. For the fielding shotty's I'd recommend a wingmaster over a run of the mill 870 / 870 express anyways. If we're going to be purists lets do it with class.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old March 9, 2012, 11:03 PM   #28
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I'd suggest bead blast, then parker, topped with cerakote.
I'm just saying why not start with something that needs refinished? Maybe trade the vent rig barrel for a tube without one instead of raping the vent rib barrel. I'm sure that trade could have been done straight up. What kind of money is he going to have with the refinish you mentioned, along with the other things he is talking about, or has done. Maybe add up the original price of the 870 he has, plus the extension tube, then the bead blasting, parkerizing, and cerakote, and how close to the price of a new Express 18" seven shot synthetic would he be.
Maybe the finish on the starting 670 isn't as decent as it looks in the pics, then mayber OK. But I still question the hacksaw job on the vent rib barrel.

Quote:
He wants a HD shotty, not a field hunter.
Probably the new in the box $359.00 870 Express I used for my "play thing" (post 12) was better suited to HD than what I ended up with.
I just did it for grins because I thought it looked cool! I wouldn't have used the vertical grip/light except with a severe shoulder injury from several years ago, it's not always easy for me to operate a pump with the standard forearm.
Old March 10, 2012, 12:13 AM   #29
iamdb

EDIT
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Last edited by iamdb; March 10, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old March 13, 2012, 12:03 PM   #30
Boomer8404

It seems as though I have stirred up some controversy over my conversion of a Wingmaster. Let me clear some of it up for yall. First of all, I wanted to do a H/D / Tacticool / Fun Build, and was looking at using either a Winchester 1200/1300, Remington 870 Wingmaster/Express, or a Mossberg 500/590. The best deal I was able to find was the 870 Wingmaster. I got it for a good price from a pawn shop and about 6 inches back from the muzzel were a few big dents in the barrel. Yes the dents could have been repaired, but I dont need another field shotgun. I have two 870s (2.75" Wingmaster & an Express Super Magnum) plus I have a Winchester 1300 that takes up my field needs. Also, I have other more dedicated H/D shot guns that are specific for their duty. As far as the barrel rib goes, I actually prefer a vent ribbed barrel for Tacticool / H/D shot guns, I think its better for quick sight aquisition at H/D ranges. Regarding the serrations I filed into the muzzle, they were for experimentation only and have since been cut off. For the coating I did use a rattle can spray paint, but not the cheap consumer store type that someone had referred to in the above posts. I recoated the metal with Brownells Aluma-Hyde II Matte Black gun coating. Its tough/durable and meets my needs. The factory stocks were removed and stowed in favor of a set of BlackHawk SpecOps units. My final point in choosing an 870 Wingmaster base was because I prefer the refinment of the Wingmaster action over the Express action.

So, I hope that clears up the discomfort for some of the naysayers. But if it doesnt, owell, I did what I wanted to my own shotgun for my own specific reason to build what I wanted. However, If there is anyone that would like to see a few pictures of the final product, I will post some a few in a few weeks after its finished.
Old March 13, 2012, 12:27 PM   #31
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for the clarification. Love to see some pics.....
Old March 13, 2012, 09:27 PM   #32
Cheapshooter

Thanks, and apology's. Now the build makes more sense considering the already damaged barrel, and the saving of the wood.
Old March 14, 2012, 09:01 AM   #33
Edward429451

I didn't read the whole thread, bit that looks like a Wingmaster. Be careful.

I bet 100 dollars you wont like a Choate stock. Choates stocks are tough as nails, Choate stocks are solid steel throughout, Choate uses all that steel to focus all that recoil on your shoulder...

I sold my Choate stock for less than I paid and I felt like I ripped the guy off because it is such a hunk of pain.

You have one of the best recoil pads in existence on the back of your gun right now. Don't say we didn't tell you!
Old March 14, 2012, 11:42 AM   #34
Boomer8404

I ended up getting a set of Blackhawk SpecOps stocks for the 870 off of a friend of mine. He has a Tacticoool / H/D 870 built off a Super Mag Express action and he doesnt like getting his face beat up by the high recoil rounds. Since my Tacticool 870 only has a 2.75" chamber and I only shoot bird shot, #4 buck of low recoil 1 ounce slugs, the recoil is not bad at all. I have gotten lightly smacked in the cheek a couple of times, but its nothing that really bothers me. Plus, I have a 1/4" thick pad that I plan to glue to the cheek rest area of the butt stock. All else I have to do is order a couple of barrel clamps and a side saddle. I have yet to get it together because I am waiting for the Aluma-Hyde II to have a decent amount of time to cure.

Will probably take some pictures of the parts as they hang to show my progress.
Old March 14, 2012, 01:03 PM   #35
Edward429451

That reminds me, I bought a Blackhawk buttstock shell carrier. I bought it for the extra shell capacity but I love it for that cheek pad. It makes a difference for your cheek if you shoot a lot.
Old March 14, 2012, 03:11 PM   #36
RoscoeC

Been There Done That

My first "tactical" build. I put it together for a Defensive Shotgun Class:

My go to HD shotgun now:

I still have them both, but the wood stock plain one is the one that is "on duty".
Don't get me wrong, the first one has served me well and has thousands of rounds through it. I just find the other one quicker, lighter, faster and generally more maneuverable. I hope I don't need the extra rounds, but if I do, I have my Glock 19. BTW, you will notice both shotguns have a corncob fore end. I am a big fan.
NRA Life Member
Old March 14, 2012, 03:14 PM   #37
Lee Lapin

Will probably take some pictures of the parts as they hang to show my progress.

Shoot shotgun shells, not pictures... Or show pictures of your pile of empty hulls.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 14, 2012, 03:16 PM   #38
zincwarrior

Quote:
It's probably a waste of electrons to post this, but building your skills is a LOT more important that adding stuff to the shotgun. The money is far better spent on training and on practice ammo.

Filing TEETH in the end of the barrel?? Nooooooooooooooooooo...
Agreed, thats like against the Cowboy Code or something (not to mention the burrs on the inside of the barrel and damage its going to do to the gun case).