The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 20, 2011, 08:20 PM   #1
4T4MAG

Gunsmith FFL

I am trying to figure out which FFL I would need to get to be able to manufacture hunting rifles and do smith work. I am thinking it would the the 07 FFL. I have a few CNC machines that are just sitting around, very tragic.

I would like to make stocks, barrel actions, turn barrel blanks and ream. Also, do trigger work. I would also like to be able to purchase firearms from suppliers for resale.

Is the 07 FFL the best way for me to go?
Old October 20, 2011, 08:26 PM   #2
4T4MAG

Just wanted to add that I am not really interested in full auto or suppressors.
Old October 20, 2011, 09:35 PM   #3
GURU1911

License needed

You will need a "class o1" license for this type of work.

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old October 21, 2011, 01:48 AM   #4
quepasakimosabe

The way I understand it is you dont need anything special to manufacture anything as long as its not a reciever, so why couldnt he get by with a 7...I realize that there is the whole

"if you have the equipment" clause which to prevent from be harasssed you proably should go ahead and get the highest you could get.
Old October 21, 2011, 08:52 AM   #5
2003flht

4t4mag
very tragic indeed! if you got cnc's just sitting around, i would be more than willing to put them to use!!!!

i'm looking for some myself right now. thinking of the cnc masters baron with the engraving attachment. or if i can find a decent used haas mini mill.... looking to spend roughly 5-6k on a cnc mill.

mind if i ask what you have????
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...Wow! What a ride!"

Give a Liberal a fish, he'll ask for seconds. Teach a Liberal to fish, he'll sign up for unemployment...
Old October 21, 2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Chaz88

Quote:
looking to spend roughly 5-6k on a cnc mill.
If you find a supply of good ones at that price let me know!

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 21, 2011, 09:02 AM   #7
2003flht

this is what i'm looking at......

http://www.cncmasters.com/index.php?...table-top-mill

or this

http://www.cncmasters.com/index.php?...illing-machine
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...Wow! What a ride!"

Give a Liberal a fish, he'll ask for seconds. Teach a Liberal to fish, he'll sign up for unemployment...
Old October 21, 2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Chaz88

Those look nice. I thought you were talking about a full size Bridgeport type of mill. I am going to have to look closer at the ones you posted.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 21, 2011, 09:24 AM   #9
Don P

Quote:
The way I understand it is you dont need anything special to manufacture anything as long as its not a reciever, so why couldnt he get by with a 7...I realize that there is the whole

"if you have the equipment" clause which to prevent from be harasssed you proably should go ahead and get the highest you could get.

This is why, read below.

Quote:
I would like to make stocks, barrel actions, turn barrel blanks and ream. Also, do trigger work. I would also like to be able to purchase firearms from suppliers for resale.
I'll add some more info below,
You don't want an 07 FFL cuz you'll have to pay the annual $2k ITAR fee. An 01 FFL gunsmith can manufacture 50 or less firearms a year without problems or requiring a 07 FFL. This was made into law with the passing of the 2005 Transportation Bill.

The full text of the law can be found here http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...=fubl059.109
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; October 21, 2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old October 21, 2011, 09:25 AM   #10
2003flht

would love a full size Bridgeport. My buddy got one for free, yes free! from his work. but, its only a 2 axis ProtoTrak... no Z. but the price was right! If only i could find that kind of deal.

for what i need, the CNC Jr or Baron will suffice for now. i love the engraving attachment. if all goes well, and i make the money i expect too, i'll eventually upgrade to a Haas mini or VF1, which is what i really want!

Old October 21, 2011, 10:26 AM   #11
brickeyee

Avoid mill-drill tpye equipment.

It has no knee action and no alignment if you need to change the head height.
Old October 21, 2011, 03:57 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

The holder of a Type 1 FFL (dealer/gunsmith) can modify rebarrel, restock, etc. existing (and numbered if applicable) receivers owned by a customer as long as the result does not consitute a change in type (e.g., making a semi-auto into a machinegun). But to manufacture receivers from scratch for sale, or to buy and modify existing firearms for resale, he will need a Title 1 manufacturer's license (Type 7) or a Type 10 if he wants to manufacture Destructive Devices.

Jim
Old October 21, 2011, 04:29 PM   #13
HiBC

I could be wrong,but my understanding is,there was a change to the requirement for a mfg license .
I think a regular old ffl will allow a custom gunsmith to make up to 50 receivers a year.This would allow a custom,low volume riflemaker to create his own Sharps,or Rolling block,or benchrest,or 50 BMG rifles,so long as he took a vacation and didn't make more than 1 a week.

But,I'm not an expert,it just what I have heard.
Old October 23, 2011, 10:32 PM   #14
triggerman770

FFL

making a custom gun for a customer can be done on an 01. making a gun or re-making a gun to sell (not made for a specific customer) requires an 07
www.georgiacarry.org
Old October 23, 2011, 10:52 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

I do seem to recall that the change HiBC mentions was in the works, but I didn't know whether it had been implemented. As in just about anything involving FFLs it is a good idea to write BATFE with any questions. That way you get a reply in writing and they can't say later that what you were told was one agent's opinion and doesn't count. (Remember, BATFE used to be part of IRS and IRS has often pulled that on taxes. They set up an infomation telephone line for income tax then say outright that nothing you are told is official!!)

Jim
Old October 24, 2011, 08:17 PM   #16
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Gunsmith FFL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to figure out which FFL I would need to get to be able to manufacture hunting rifles and do smith work. I am thinking it would the the 07 FFL. I have a few CNC machines that are just sitting around, very tragic.

Is the 07 FFL the best way for me to go?
I believe if you do some checking with the BATF&E you will find that you will be required to have an 07 FFL for what you are wanting to do.

There was a change in the law but it only pertains to the excise tax. If you do not manufacture more then 50 guns a year you will be exempt from the 10% excise tax.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 25, 2011, 09:52 PM   #17
4T4MAG

Okay, I had a meeting today with my local ATFE office. Their official word is that I will only need the FFL 01. I will be buying actions and pre bored barrels. I cannot make any sort of a bolt or action.
Old October 26, 2011, 09:28 PM   #18
4T4MAG

Now, I just need a lathe. Would I be making a 3,000 mistake with this one

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Guns...h-Stand/G4003G