The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 6, 2009, 07:32 PM   #1
doc540

Ted "Tactical" Williams

Adapt, improvise, overcome

Some of us are living on a tight budget.

Old May 6, 2009, 08:52 PM   #2
arizona98tj

I have an old Stevens (made by Savage) that went the same route some 30 years ago. I was in the service then and didn't have the $$ to buy new. Works just fine.
Old May 6, 2009, 09:12 PM   #3
kmrcstintn

did a similar thing...had an older field barrel cut to 18.5" for my Mossberg 500 (cost me $50 & fits the same need as a new Mossberg security barrel--can't get one anyway due to Obama rush) and added an elastic butt cuff to hold extra rounds
Old May 7, 2009, 01:31 AM   #4
Niner4Tango

GREAT looking weapon!
Old May 7, 2009, 01:52 AM   #5
Littlehoov

Looks fine to me. Smoke what you've got as far as Im concerned.

I do have one question, unless Im missing something, this is intended to be a HD shotgun no? So....why the sling? Its not just you, I see it on a lot of HD shotguns. Do ya'll get that tuckered out carrying it down the hall?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just seems like something to get caught/hung up on things when you're "aroused" in the middle of the night.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:40 AM   #6
doc540

Man, what a dumb question.

You know how this works:

Bored, looking for a way to tinker with your guns but don't want to spend a lot of money.

Suddenly stricken with the brilliant idea of adding a sling to your shotgun since the new tube extension came with a sling mount.

Then you're at WalMart buying a sling and rear sling attachment.

Finally, you're at the work bench drilling holes and dragging tools out of the box.

Don't try to tell me you've never been there!

In reality, due to 2 major hurricanes and mass evcauations within the last five years, I can see the possiblity of walking my home perimeter with that thing slung over my back.

No food, no water, no power, no fuel = SHTF Time
Old May 7, 2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Niner4Tango

A sling on a shotgun is so you don't have to set it down when you need both hands

Good article here: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu83.htm
Old May 8, 2009, 12:39 AM   #8
Littlehoov

Quote:
A sling on a shotgun is so you don't have to set it down when you need both hands

Ooooh so you can run down the hallway in your boxers looking like this?

Im only joking, I can see their point of not wanting to set it down. It would also make sense to have a handgun as well in the hurricane scenarios doc was talking about.

I dont know about you guys, but I always keep a pistol in my fly when I sleep, so all I have to do when I wake up is grab my shotgun and go. Then I have a backup handy
Old May 8, 2009, 04:24 AM   #9
CajunBass

I have always liked those old Ted Williams guns. I used to drool over them in the Sears store at the mall. I wish I'd had the money back then to buy them. That one really looks nice.

Of course I'd have just traded them off on something else by now, so I still wouldn't have them.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 8, 2009, 09:33 AM   #10
Kmar40

Ted Williams were Winchesters if memory serves me. No excuses for that are in order. It will do ANYTHING a Mossberg or Remington will do.

I also humbly add that people who don't know why you would add a sling haven't carried a rifle or shotgun much. If it is solely an inside the house gun, perhaps I can see an argument against a sling. However, all my shotguns have at least the ability for me to add a sling. One of my main HD guns is also my deer hunting SG, for instance. I tend to carry it the entire day, as I like to stalk a lot, but a sling always goes with me outside the house.

On all my work longarms, M4, 870, sometimes an UMP, I have a sling.
Old May 8, 2009, 07:52 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Looks nice, the proof is in the shooting.

As for slings, my HD shotguns do not wear them. They do have sling studs, and slings are nearby if things go badly outside.

Inside, a sling is just a snagup waiting to happen. Outside, one is as essential as oxygen.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:10 AM   #12
Littlehoov

For the record, Ive carried a rifle around on a sling all day many times, Im aware of what theyre for. I made an assumption based on little information that this was strictly a home defense weapon, so a sling made no sense to me, and lets face it, its not the first post Ive seen where someone is posting their newest HD shotgun and its got a sling.

To Kmar, I dont know what line of work youre in. From the weapons you listed, Id guess SWAT or some sort of LE task force. In which case I could completely understand a sling, because I know in addition to the 'ol bang and clear, those guys also do a lot of standing around sometimes, so no sling would be really hard.

So anyway, I meant no offense, and I sure didnt mean to be called dumb, so yeah, like I said, good lookin gun, I wish I had a shotgun that didnt have to be broken apart to reload.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:18 AM   #13
Kmar40

Quote:
For the record, Ive carried a rifle around on a sling all day many times, Im aware of what theyre for. I made an assumption based on little information that this was strictly a home defense weapon, so a sling made no sense to me, and lets face it, its not the first post Ive seen where someone is posting their newest HD shotgun and its got a sling.
That wasn't meant to be directed at you. I know plenty of hunters and such (my brother for instance) who have no idea why one should use a sling. He walks around with his rifle over his shoulder, just the way the guy who taught us to hunt (an older kid in the neighborhood) did.

HD only, I see the argument, but I don't buy it. There are many things that could happen in an HD scenario that could also require one to have the ability to use both hands. My preference is definitely toward a sling on an HD gun.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:12 PM   #14
mister2

Quote:
Ted Williams were Winchesters if memory serves me. No excuses for that are in order. It will do ANYTHING a Mossberg or Remington will do.
Willams 200 = Winchester 1200. Super smooth and it almost wants to reload itself after a shot.

As far as the "tactical" aspect is concerned, the "field expedient" approach isn't far from the factory's, after all:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=330127

Great shotties as far as I'm concerned.