The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 9, 2009, 12:50 AM   #1
guruatbol

Mossberg O/U?

I was in Wal-Mart the other day and they have some O/U in a Mossberg. I have a Citori and well, with as much as I use it, I am afraid that it will eventually wear out.

My wife gets a discount there since she works there and it would be a good one to use for daily shooting and like my 500 if it is durable enough, I could drag it through the field and not worry about it.

So the question is are they any good? Anyone know anything about them and used them? How about a review?

Mel
Old May 9, 2009, 01:17 AM   #2
hoytinak

It's the Silver Reserve model. Made it Turkey by Kayhan Art S.S. and imported by Mossberg Int. I have one and it's a good little field gun, nothing fancy but it works good for me. Try searching "Silver Reserve" in the shotgun section and you'll fins alot of info.
Old May 9, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3
jaymce

I had an older one. I bought it instead of a Stoeger which costs 1/2 the $ because I figured it was a Mossberg. At least a company I have heard of. What a mistake. It lasted 400 rounds (IE 16 boxes) between failures. Hammer not striking pin, broken pins etc. Finally got rid of it for a Browning.

They say the firing pin issue is resolved and I just put some pins in a SR for a friend at the range (shoots maybe 50 shots a month) the pins looked different though. Of all the SR Mossbergs I have seen (4-5 that I know of) all have issues. Of the Stoegers I know of (5-8) none have issues.

It would probably make a good field gun but it is going to be much smaller than you Browning and feel like a cheap knock off. Your Citori will still be going strong long after the Mossberg as been retired. I have friends who have been putting 100s of rounds through them w/o problems.

Good luck either way.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Native_omnivore

My experience w/ the silver reserve was very similar. First set of pins went at around 1000-1500 rounds if I remember right. And I returned it to "Maverick" Arms(factory replacements) for 3 more sets within 1 year. I could NEVER reach a "Mossberg" representative to speak to about my dis-satisfaction with both the gun and the customer service. I did have several ..conversations... with Jaun, Jose', Armillio, and T'omas, all supposed "Supervisors" at the Eagle pass Texas facility of Maverick Arms.
Each and every time I got the gun back, I was promised that it was refurbished with "new and improved" pins. I finally just asked for an extra set of pins after the last factory installed set.
I liked the fit, feel and is a cosmetically attractive gun. With the gold inlaid pheasants.
A shame that it sits in the corner collecting dust now. It's my 'go to' gun for chicken hawks, skunks and other verrmin. But will never see the field or trap range again as long is its in my possession.
I bought Franchi O/U a little over a year ago, now. And have not had a single problem.

edit
I knew I had posted it here before
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=216768

Last edited by Native_omnivore; May 11, 2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: add a link
Old May 11, 2009, 04:44 PM   #5
oneounceload

Not to sound snobbish, but there ain't no such thing as a "quality" CHEAP O/U or SxS.......
Old May 13, 2009, 10:29 AM   #6
eco_keith43

oneounceload is right. I have heard of too many people who buy these "economical" O/Us or SxS and have nothing but trouble with them. You can get a good deal sometimes on gunbroker or other auction websites on Rugers, Brownings, etc if you can catch them right