The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2009, 03:39 PM   #1
cchardwick

Just ordered my first chronograph to check my reloads

After checking out a bunch of chronographs I decided on one and placed my order. Never used one before but from what I"ve heard on this forum it sounds like it's necessary gear for the reloader. Any hints or tricks on how to use it? I'm supposed to get it on Monday. I wanted the cheapest one that had good reviews and held a lot of shots in it's memory. I'm holding off on my daily shooting sessions until I get it. Here's the one I ordered, cost me $120 with shipping:

Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph

This Chronograph measures velocities between 22 and 7000 feet per second, records 9 strings of fire with review of 99 shots each and computes statistics for each string (high, low, average, number of shots, standard deviation and extreme spread). Other features allow you to delete the current shot or string, and you can switch from standard to metric measurements. Chronograph includes plastic diffusers, 4 rods and is powered by a 9 volt battery (not included).

Technical Information

Summary of Features/Capabilities: Comes with Durable plastic diffusers and 4 rods.
Usable Velocity Range:22-7000 feet per second
Power Source:9 volt alkaline battery (not included)
Dimentions:16x4x3-1/4 inches
Tripod Mount:1/4x20 threaded hole
Printer Compatable:Yes with optional Digital Remote Control with IR Port (Competition Electronics part number CE14000). The Digital Remote Control will allow you to print directly to a HP IR compatable pocket printer. The Digital Remote enables all velocity and statistical information to be downloaded to a PC via "HyperTerminal" (a component of MicroSoft Windows). The Digital Remote allows the ProChrono Digital to be operated remotely, from the shooting bench, via a 20 foot cable.
Functions

Nine strings of fire with review of 99 shots each

Statistics for each string: Hi, Low, Average, Number of shots, Standard Deviation and Extreme Spread

Delete current shot

Delete current string of fire

Metric/FPS selectable
Note: The ProChrono Pal and the ProChrono Digital models use the same housing and are the same physical size. The housing of the Digital has additional functions installed in it.

Last edited by cchardwick; January 7, 2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old January 7, 2009, 03:53 PM   #2
O6nop

I bought one not too long ago myself (a Chrony) but I don't use it that much. I don't shoot competition (yet) but if you do, I would guess a chronograph would be handy. You can put it just in front of the muzzle, about 7 ' and get a velocity reading and, if you are accurate and confident enough, you can place it at the target to get that velocity.

You might check this thread.
Old January 7, 2009, 04:58 PM   #3
PCJim

Grab some rubber bands...

and practice getting familiar with all the functionality and information the chronograph will provide. You will want to know how to set up the unit and get the most out of it BEFORE arriving at the range.

BTW, I found out I can shoot a rubber band at 140+fps (fingertip velocity)!
Old January 7, 2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Sam06

You are now a PROFESSIONAL reloader(LOL). You are going to love having a chrony. Get a tripod to put it on so you can shoot over it. It does not float in the air in front of the barrel.

Set it up in the back yard and shoot a bb gun over it for practice. Read the manual 3 times before you use it and try not to shoot it

Have fun, you will like it....I waited about 15 years before I got mine and I don't know how I got along without it.

Sam
Old January 7, 2009, 09:01 PM   #5
rn22723

Jsut do not SHOOT it! Get a heavy duty tripod!
Old January 7, 2009, 11:28 PM   #6
arizona98tj

As mentioned, don't shoot it. The basic issue with that style is that the most expensive part of your chronograph is down range where the bullet can do damage. I'm sure you realized that when you purchased it....just be careful else you will be getting another one.
Old January 8, 2009, 12:31 AM   #7
Ruger4570

That is why I bought a Shooting Crony. Now all I have to worry about is hitting the scrren, not the whole shebang..
Old January 8, 2009, 09:04 AM   #8
DEDON45

I have that exact model (the one the OP has purchased)... it does have one advantage over the Chrony models, it seems to be bit more forgiving as to picking up shots that the Chrony ones don't, a little less sensitive about the lighting, etc. (at least that's what the folks that I talked with said). I also ended up buying the remote for it, not only for the convenience, but so I could dump the data out of the chronograph into my PC when I got home from the range.

And... if you do shoot it (and it will happen someday), they will replace it if you send it back with a check for half the cost (I think for about 50.00 or so)... Mine's taken two hits already, the first being a minor one that was my fault... I knicked one of the aluminum rods, bent it... so I straightened that back out... then my shooting buddy hits the rod, but near the plastic base.. he almost killed it.... if he busted it, he'd be good for it though...
Old January 8, 2009, 09:22 AM   #9
GoldenRoyBoy

Good Choice!

You made a wise investment; and, a good choice in my humble opinion. This is the same exact machine I use. It's easy to operate; and dependable.

A couple of suggestions for you!
1 Be sure to carry at least one spare battery with you. There's room in the battery compartment for a spare. The machine does like batteries.

2 The machine is light in weight. And, with the diffusers installed, tends to be top heavy. You'll want to brace/steady your machine on each side, using bricks, or blocks of wood.

Good luck!
GRB
Old January 8, 2009, 01:36 PM   #10
amamnn

I don't use mine much anymore unless I'm having unusual problems with a load.

Some things to keep in mind when using a chronograph.

1- You should not be surprised if your velocity measurements do not conform exactly to the loading manual, or that you get more variation than expected even though you have made EVERY effort to ensure that each cartridge is as exactly like the others as humanly possible because:
a. You don't have a flash and blast screen and they did.
b. You are most likely shooting outdoors where environmental conditions vary a bit, and they were in a lab.
c. You are probably not using the same barrel they did.
d. Components will vary a bit from lot to lot.
e. For the statistical sampling required to make a measure like Standard Deviation to actually mean something, you have to shoot many, many rounds in one string. You will probably only shoot 10 to a string which is generally thought to be the fewest required to get a workable sample. Stasticians would argue this point.
f. Chances are that you have not placed the chrony at the same distance they did.

Some tips to help avoid shooting your shiny new toy:

Be sure to level the device in line with the projected bullet path, not true level or in relation to the ground on which it stands. If you have a laser boresighter, you will find that it makes a great tool to use setting up your chrony. Put your weapon on the rest or sandbag aimed at the target. By holding a target or sheet of paper vertically behind the front and then the back sensors, you can see where the bullet will pass. It may sound odd, but targets that are further from the muzzle of your gun are best at which to shoot when using a chrony. They require less movement of the barrel to correct aim. Don't lend it to ANYONE EVER.
Old January 8, 2009, 03:18 PM   #11
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I have the same one and LOVE it! It is so simple to use and RARELY misses a shot. It is nice to review the shots...plus it is nice in that it does all the math for you (avg, hi/low, std dev.). Very good investment....now you will be able to shoot factory amoo thru it to see how the manufacturers lie about velocities!!!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 8, 2009, 03:28 PM   #12
ZeSpectre

I'm jealous.
Really want to get one but with the house renovations it's pretty low on the priority list.
Old January 8, 2009, 03:41 PM   #13
mkl

Be sure you allow ten feet or so between the muzzle of your gun and the first chrony screen.

If you get too close, muzzle blast (gas) will screw up your readings.

Never, ever, ever, use your chrony as a tool to achieve published reloading manual velocities by ignoring the maximum powder weight in your manual. In 95% of the cases, the manual velocity will be higher than yours. Reasons for that have been stated in a previous post. Never exceed the maximum charge weight, regardless of your chrony velocity.
Old January 8, 2009, 07:47 PM   #14
cchardwick

I've read some posts that suggest that altitude has an effect on the velocity of the bullet. I'm going to make up a big batch of all the same ammo and shoot it up here and down the mountain in the plains, about a mile down. It will be interesting to see if it changes or not, I'm guessing it won't.

Another good experiment would be to test the velocity vs. air temperature or temp of the ammo and gun. All kinds of stuff I'd like to try!

Old January 8, 2009, 08:59 PM   #15
PCJim

CC, Based on what we've all been told about the effect of a less dense atsmosphere for long ball hitters at Coor's Field, I'd bet your higher altitude results will on average be faster than those at a lower altitude.
Old January 9, 2009, 02:05 AM   #16
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day.
Quote:
cchardwick
Quote:
It will be interesting to see if it changes or not, I'm guessing it won't.
I think you will be surprised. take a barometer if you can. Air temp and barometric pressure might have more of an affect then you think.
Old January 9, 2009, 09:18 AM   #17
stump shooter

Good deal!

Like someone else mentioned, pick up a sturdy stand. I bought a Vanuard VT-214 from Cabelas and it works great.

Another trick I learned from a couple highpower and precision shooters is to ALWAYS take a .22 pistol (rifle would work, but a pistol fits in the range bag) to verify it's function and accuracy before testing other loads.
I suppose any other caliber would work, but the point is to shoot (waste) a few rounds through the chronograph to verify that it reads the same during each use/setup. This is mainly so that you won't have to waste good ammo for working up loads, etc. As long as you use the same .22 gun/ammo every time it should read the same velocity each time you use the chronograph...kind of like a check weight set for your scale.