The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 6, 2000, 10:05 PM   #1
CD1

Does anybody have any info regarding the SPAS 12? Reliability, functionality, etc.
Old September 7, 2000, 02:38 AM   #2
MPower

I love the SPAS 12...looks incredible.
Unfortunatly, when I was shopping for a HD Shotgun I did my research and found that its heavy, unreliable and has a very confusing safety setup. I ended up buying a Benelli M1. Plan on spending over $1K if you want a folding metal stock.
Old September 7, 2000, 02:56 AM   #3
point308

Everything you ever wanted to know about the SPAS12:
http://spas12.com/

point308
Old September 7, 2000, 03:32 PM   #4
jthuang

Buddy of mine bought one for $250 after the ban (the seller needed money). As mentioned, the folding stock models will run you at least $1k.

The SPAS 12 weighs 10-12 pounds. That's one heavy gun. Also, certain models with the lever safety were recalled, so if you find one of those, it needs to go back to the factory for a retro-fit.

It sure does look kewl though.

For my money, I'd rather spend the jing on a Benelli M1 Super 90, unless you really need the pump/auto capability -- in that case, buy a M3 Super 90. A post-ban M1 Super 90 will run you $750-850 so you can use the extra $250-150 for a Surefire tac light and ammunition.

You can see a picture of me firing my buddy's SPAS 12 at:
http://www.members.tripod.com/~jth8260/misc.html

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old September 7, 2000, 06:06 PM   #5
hksigwalther

M1/M3 Super 90s are ~2 pounds lighter but one round less (when taken to full capacity / unless you get an M1S90 Practical - 10 round mag). Recoil operated. M3's conversion from pump to/from auto is a twist ring.

SPAS12's (gas operated) forend, in my experience, had a bit more friction when pumping than the M3's. This will get you tired faster when you use the pump action. Pump/auto conversion is a recessed button. The later versions (and retrofitted early versions) have a cross-bolt safety.

SPAS12's looks are impressive but, although reliable enough, not as reliable as the Benellis. If you want a looker, get the SPAS. If you want something a little more practical and reliable, get a Benelli.

------------------
- Ron V.
Old September 7, 2000, 09:27 PM   #6
CD1

Thanks to one and all.
Old September 8, 2000, 09:25 AM   #7
ohen cepel

Bought one used years ago with the folding stock for $250.
It was like packing an M-60. Huge gun with a weird operating system.
Looks great but I think there are tons of better options out there. (Benelli, Berreta, Rem., Mossberg)

------------------
He who dares wins.
NRA Life Memeber
Old September 8, 2000, 11:48 AM   #8
Correia

There is one at Impact Guns right now in Ogden Utah. 1-888-sva-guns. Don't remember the price though.

Personally I thought that it took three hands to operate.
Old September 9, 2000, 06:30 AM   #9
Jaeger

I owned one several years ago. Mine had the folding metal stock with the forearm hook. It looked mean as hell but it was a heavy, slow pointing pig! The action worked as advertised and with full power loads the semi auto function was very reliable. Didn't work well with light loads but since it's also a pump gun this was an easily remedied problem. The stock sucked!!! It battered the hell out of my cheek bone no matter what mode you were firing it in. I do wish I still had it, but only because it is worth more now than it was when I sold it. (and for scaring the neighbors!) I replaced it with a Berretta 1201FP and couldn't be happier. The 1201 is light and fast and has been reliable with everything I've run through it. Even low brass target loads. The only thing I want to do to it is get it Vang Comped and put on a good set of ghost rings. Even with those mods it is cheaper than the Benelli and is every bit as good. (I'm weird, I like the cruiser safety!)
The guy that I bought the SPAS from still has the LAW12 that he originally bought with the SPAS. That's a pretty nice shotgun.
If you're a collector the SPAS is a must have. If you just want a good combat shotgun there are much better choices available.
Old September 9, 2000, 05:17 PM   #10
Monkeyleg

I had a 12 folder with the hooked stock that I'd bought new for $450. Sold it to a dealer a couple years later for $650 . But it was, as mentioned here, complicated to operate. While I did practice a lot on flipping all the safeties, I wound up keeping it in pump mode all the time for HD. And I can't even count the number of shirts I tore when shooting it from a shouldered position with that metal stock.

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.