The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2009, 01:05 PM   #1
bbbigbossbb

Case Activated Powder Drops questions

I'm looking for a Case Activated Powder Drop for my Lee Turret press. I was looking at the Hornad one, but I think it's meant for Progressive loaders. Can anyone recommend a good one that will work in a turret press?

PS I don't know if this is supposed to be assumed, but do all Case Activated Drops screw into one of the die threads?
Old October 7, 2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Your last question first, I would assume so. Otherwise, how do you line it up with the case to activate it without spilling powder all over?

I haven't used the Hornady measure, so I can't tell you about that. Some of the old Dillion measures used a spring rather than a rod linkage for the purpose of power measure return operation. I think Maybe the measures still have the post for the spring on them for the now-defunct model 500's and the SD and 550 before the B suffix was added. YUou could call Dillon and tell them what you are doing and see if they can sell you one that would work? The Dillons are activated by a drop tube that also serves as the case mouth expander, saving you a separate station for that.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 7, 2009, 02:47 PM   #3
mongoose33

I don't know if they all screw into the threads, but I have the Hornady case-activated powder drop, and it does.

Actually, it's screwed into the LnL bushing, but that's the same thing.

I've had great success w/ mine. Very accurate, and it doesn't drop powder if there's not a case.
Old October 7, 2009, 02:56 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

Why not use the Lee dies? All handgun die sets have a powder drop built into the expander die. These work very well with the Lee Auto Disk measures. You can also get a Rifle powder-through die that also works with the Auto Disk measures (use the double disk kit for .223 and some loads for .308). Or, you can get the Universal Powder Through die that works with the Lee Perfect Powder measure and most handgun and rifle cases.

Otherwise, any powder-through die and measure from the same company should work. They usually do not require any connection to the press so it is just having a compaitble die and measure.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 7, 2009, 02:57 PM   #5
GP100man

get the lee it screws into the powder thru expanding die .
get the swivel & extension these acc. make working around your other dies a snap .
all manufactures have different ways of arranging parts so if ya have lee get a lee , hornady or rcbs charging system .

for the money though especially for pistol or revolver ammo the lee get my nod .

YMMV
Old October 7, 2009, 03:55 PM   #6
bbbigbossbb

I guess I left out some information. I'm using RCBS dies, which is why the Lee powder disk measure won't work. I'm just looking for something completely seperate.

I was looking at this one:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=80372

I know it's not case activated, but I can always upgrade it to be, I think. I wouldn't mind having to pull the lever on the measure each time, though. I'm assuming this would work.
Old October 7, 2009, 04:19 PM   #7
darkgael

case

Spend a few extra dollars and get a Lee powder through expander die. Then get the Lee case activated powder measure. I have four of them. Two I use on a Dillon 550B with Lyman or RCBS sizers and seaters.
Pete
Old October 7, 2009, 09:07 PM   #8
BigJakeJ1s

The Hornady case activated linkage will work with the RCBS Uniflow too.

You can also purchase Hornady powder through expander inserts for it (caliber specific).

Or you can purchase the powder through expander die from Lyman and it will work with Hornady, RCBS and Redding powder measures, but it does not automatically activate the powder measure.

Andy
Old October 10, 2009, 06:48 PM   #9
gearheadpyro

Get the Lee auto disk pro powder measure and either the rifle charging die or the lee pistol dies with a powder through expanding die. The auto disk powder measure is accurate to within .1 to .2 grains with kernel powders, usually a little closer to .2 grains with flake powders.
Old October 10, 2009, 09:53 PM   #10
aerod1

I agree, get the Lee system. Mine works great!!
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)