The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2009, 01:03 AM   #1
Kjeil

Oops, now what - New Brass

I thought I would try some new brass to see how that compares so I went and bought some Hornady Match 223. I assumed that being new it would be built to specs (yeah I know what assuming does).

Anyway I was reading through the 40 seating problem thread and a few people mention that you need to resize brand new brass. So the problem I have now is I have 50 rounds ready for the range tomorrow morning but I don't know if I can/should use it.

Everything seemed perfectly normal when I loaded them, no difference in resistance or any other problems. I did several measurements and everything seemed to be right on spec.

So my questions are:
1. Is it safe to use at all
2. If is is safe, is it worthwhile considering I'm trying to work up the best load. Or in other words will the potential variance make the whole thing useless other than getting once fired brass.

Thanks in advance.

"If thou hast not a sword, sell thy cloak and buy one"
Luke 22:36
Old January 10, 2009, 02:14 AM   #2
bullspotter

I have no idea if its safe or not..... How hot are the loads? I personally would have loaded a few test loads first, working them up a looking for pressure issues, some will say that new brass needs to be fire formed then work for accurat loads after. My experiance with all new brass with also with a new rifle, bought 100 brass. worked up 5 loads to look for safty, they were all good, so i loaded up 30 more to finish breaking in the barrel. The next 50 were accuracy loads, and a few more work up safe check loads, when i found my pet load, i loaded the rest of the new brass. They were resized tho. Now after using them up, i took the 100 empty cases and sized trimmed checked ext, then worked back up to my pet load looking for pressure issues, their were none so i loaded up the rest, and they shoot spot on with the load in a virgin case, so i think you can develop loads without fire formed brass. I guess it depends on what your looking for as far as accuracy. I was happy with what i had as a hunting round, this was for a 300 ultra mag. I use alot of mixed brass in my ar. (223) i worked up loads with all the head stamps that i have, and ran them looking for issues, as some brass is thicker and may cause an overpressure as a thinner case might not. I cant really tell you if they are safe or not, I assume they have the same recipe as your previously loaded rounds, so they pry could be ok, unless your maxed out already, but i personly like to work up after a componet change, esspecialy brass. hope this helps. Go shoot 1 and look it over real good for pressure problems before shooting the second one.
Old January 10, 2009, 02:28 AM   #3
Kjeil

Well its actual 5 batches of 10 rounds with different loads. They are all Varget starting with 19.5 grains and going up .5 grain for each load (19.5, 20.0, 20.5, 21.0, 21.5). The plan was to start at the low end and work my way up checking as I go along, if I see any pressure signs then stop.

Old January 10, 2009, 02:41 AM   #4
Shoney

Kjeil

You did not state which weapon you will be using them in.

Provided you have made no errors on the components, they should be safe to shoot. I think the problem, if any, will be that they may not chamber in an AR or other semi-auto. If you have to use a litte, and I do mean little force to close the bolt of an AR, that is fine. Same with a bolt weapon. Do not pound it into battery.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 10, 2009, 02:49 AM   #5
Kjeil

Thanks for the replies

It's a 5.56 military chambered AR.

Before I loaded anything I made 10 prototypes and fed them through to make sure so I know they will chamber ok.

Old January 10, 2009, 03:12 AM   #6
Shoney

Kjeil

If I were shooting them, I would load the 5 test cartridges in the mag and put a factory or other cartridge on top to be hand chambered to use as a fowling shot.

This will seat all 5 test loads in the chamber in the same manner, and greatly decrease your chances of having a flyer. By flyer I mean the first shot hitting and inch or two different than the next 4 on your accuracy load.

That same problem drove me nuts until I started using the fowling shot to seat my test loads. When not testing loads, I pust fairly hard on the bolt of each hand loaded round so it seats deep into the chamber.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 10, 2009, 03:14 AM   #7
butta9999

They should be fine if they chamber ok, you should always full size new brass, being an AR you will have to full size after use for easy chambering.

If were a bolt action neck sizing would be fine as you would have fire formed the case to your chamber. All good if were using the same rifle.
Old January 10, 2009, 09:16 AM   #8
ryalred

+1 for Shoney.

The rounds should shoot well. Start with the lighter charges first and work your way up, watching for pressure signs. The only problem with the process is that you might get different results with the same loads after you have fired them in your rifle once. So all the work in making up the different charges may not give you accurate results for future loads. But, it should get you in the ballpark of charge weights to use with the once fired brass.

P.S. Be sure and let the barrel cool down when it starts heating up.

Good luck and good shooting.
reloading -- addicted

Last edited by ryalred; January 10, 2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: miss-spelled words