The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2006, 10:33 AM   #1
tennsooner

Powder question

I have reloaded for a number of years but have just recently become curious about somethings I have never questioned in the past and am hoping someone can shine a bit of light on this for me.
What is the deal that there are many published loads for example for Lil Gun powder for my 221 Fireball but none for say a .223 or a .204 ruger. Is there no safe starting point for this powder in these cartriges. I understand it has to do with burn rate and case capacity as well as bullet weight but could someone fill in the blanks for me here. I have some Reloader 10x that works great in my .223. but can find no where where it can be used with my 221 Fireball. Please help as I am confused here. Thanks ,tenn
Old May 4, 2006, 08:14 AM   #2
tennsooner

Come on guys.......somebody knows something here.....spill it...We have ways of making you talk.
Old May 4, 2006, 09:39 AM   #3
1tomcat

I have about 5 reloading manuals and can never find a match between the caliber, bullet weight and powder I want to use
Old May 4, 2006, 11:10 AM   #4
tennsooner

See and that confuses me. If I put the same powder charge in a .223 using the same bullet into a .221 due to the increased size if the case am I creating a bomb? Someone here knows and at some point he will say
"Okay retard I am only answering this for you to keep your wife from becoming a widow but............."
Old May 4, 2006, 11:50 AM   #5
1tomcat

do not do that or mamma might be a widow, never use a recipe for one caliber for another caliber sometimes the powder manufacturer can help you, get in touch with them
Old May 4, 2006, 12:14 PM   #6
Leftoverdj

L'il gun is too fast a powder to be using in the .223, and Re 10 is too slow for enough to fit in a Fireball case. That's why we have so many powders. If you absolutely had to, you could safely load a Fireball charge in a .223 case. You'd be giving up several hundred fps from a normal .223 load. If you absolutely had to, you could safely load a Fireball case with Re 10 up to the base of the neck and seat a 50 grain bullet. Again, you would be giving up velocity.

The loading manuals list the useful loads for a cartridge. If a powder is not listed for a particular cartridge, there's a good reason for it, but not necessarily a safely issue.
Old May 4, 2006, 02:02 PM   #7
tennsooner

Thanks Leftoverdj I appreciate your help . Seems what you are telling me is there is very very little chance that something I would want to try would be an improvement on what is known and avaliabe and I can sure accept that. Thanks for your input.